Overreactive to stress or traumatic events

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 7:59 pm

Is it an autistic trait to be overly sensitive to distressing events, and overreactive, like not being able to get over it, crying all the time, being upset that this awful thing happened and not being able to find any peace or consolation?

Specifically, I've had occasions when a group of people who I thought were my friends accused me of something, not something really serious, but they accused me of being unfair or not nice in reaction to something mean or untrue that someone said. Basically, according to the norm, I overreacted. And then overreacted again when I was accused of overreacting, and as a result people turned against me and I was crushed and despairing. And I couldn't get over it. I felt that I had been dealt with unfairly and then on top of it lost my friends because I was unable to calm down and apologize. Even though I didn't really think I had done anything wrong, apologizing would have smoothed things over and if I could have done it, it would have saved me so much heartache and emotional pain.

More recently, the person I am closest to in the world really did a number on me by suddenly turning a cold shoulder, and I reacted by crying for months. And then whenever I was feeling so upset and hurt that I didn't know what to do with my pain, I would call him and yell at him or, alternately, sob and tell him how hurt I was and ask him why he wasn't trying to make amends. This went on for months.

I feel foolish and embarrassed, even though I was technically in the right because he really was unfeeling and did a terrible thing to me. But in a practical sense, this is no way to deal with either emotional pain or trying to get back into a friendship.

It's weird and unsettling to see myself doing something that if I saw someone else doing it I would think that they were unhinged, and yet I have been unable to not do it.

Is this an autistic thing, or something else?

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 8:27 pm

First, I am so sorry you had this going on. Being in a state of emotion upset is awful, to say the least. I get it as much as I can from my own perspective and I hate that sort of stuff. It makes me feel like I'm dying to crawl out of my skin, my head, and there is no escape from it. Meh.

I can be an internally reactionary person. It's not a thing I like about myself, in fact, it's a thing I hate about myself. I also check most of the boxes for alexithymia. Emotions both overwhelm and confuse me. It's all even worse when it's negative feelings towards someone I have positive feelings for. Arguments, misunderstandings, disagreements with friends, family, partners, are things that I handle poorly. Those things make me feel like they might actually kill me when I'm living through them. I used to do a lot of things I would regret later. These days I know that those moments are temporary, that emotions are temporary. At least I don't generally act on those thoughts/feelings anymore. It still sucks living through it, but I don't have to play 'disaster clean up crew' after the fact anymore. I try to keep it to myself now so I don't cause anyone else any upset when I'm dealing with the emotion onslaught. For the most part I do okay with that containing bit. But damn, I still hate living through it. It still kills me when that stuff is going on.

Is it an autism thing? I have no clue. I am a trauma survivor (started in childhood and had a few crap relationships/incidents in adult life) and I never know if my emotion dysfunction stuff comes from nature or nurture. It can be really hard for me to pick all that apart. At the end of the day, i don't stress much where it comes from and try to focus more on what to do with it, how to be less destructive with it.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 9:42 pm

Sounds like PTSD to me. Although I don't think you should believe diagnosis from a total stranger. :) It could be all sort of things, like anxiety, a personality disorder, poor immune system, chronic infection or even nutritional deficiency. If you haven't done it, it's best to talk to your GP and start with a physical checkup. You might even want to talk to a naturopath if you have insurance.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 3:56 am

I've had a similar experience with a friend. We are both autistic although I didn't know it back then. We both screwed up in an autistic way. I think that at the core of all of it was that we were changing towards different believes and lifestyles, but we did not know how to mediate that correctly, to the point that we became resentful of each other.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 12:19 pm

bee33 wrote:
Is it an autistic trait to be overly sensitive to distressing events, and overreactive, like not being able to get over it, crying all the time, being upset that this awful thing happened and not being able to find any peace or consolation?

Specifically, I've had occasions when a group of people who I thought were my friends accused me of something, not something really serious, but they accused me of being unfair or not nice in reaction to something mean or untrue that someone said. Basically, according to the norm, I overreacted. And then overreacted again when I was accused of overreacting, and as a result people turned against me and I was crushed and despairing. And I couldn't get over it. I felt that I had been dealt with unfairly and then on top of it lost my friends because I was unable to calm down and apologize. Even though I didn't really think I had done anything wrong, apologizing would have smoothed things over and if I could have done it, it would have saved me so much heartache and emotional pain.

More recently, the person I am closest to in the world really did a number on me by suddenly turning a cold shoulder, and I reacted by crying for months. And then whenever I was feeling so upset and hurt that I didn't know what to do with my pain, I would call him and yell at him or, alternately, sob and tell him how hurt I was and ask him why he wasn't trying to make amends. This went on for months.

I feel foolish and embarrassed, even though I was technically in the right because he really was unfeeling and did a terrible thing to me. But in a practical sense, this is no way to deal with either emotional pain or trying to get back into a friendship.

It's weird and unsettling to see myself doing something that if I saw someone else doing it I would think that they were unhinged, and yet I have been unable to not do it.

Is this an autistic thing, or something else?
I am curious about this because I have a similar issue and I am wondering if you and I have the same issue or if they are different. Is this over reacting new for you? Has this type of emotional response been this all way all your life or is it relatively recent? The answer to this question can give us important clues as to what might be happening.

Wreck It Ralph

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 1:38 pm

skibum wrote:
I am curious about this because I have a similar issue and I am wondering if you and I have the same issue or if they are different. Is this over reacting new for you? Has this type of emotional response been this all way all your life or is it relatively recent? The answer to this question can give us important clues as to what might be happening.

It is not new for me. The part I described about the friends group happened about 2006. Part of it is me being bewildered that someone or someones can be so mean and I feel like it comes out of left field, even though I have a sense that there is a part of it that I am doing by being completely inflexible and not being able to see it from their side, and then being unable to react any other way.

I thought I had gotten better at letting things go (even when I don't completely understand them) in my older years. (I am 58.) But the thing with my best friend in the world happened nine months ago, and I didn't know I was going to react so badly, even though it is really the most terrible thing that has ever happened to me. (We were partners after knowing each other and being close for 40 years, and I thought we were going to spend our lives together.) So I find myself being reactive and "crazy" without having expected that I would still be doing that at this stage in my life.

Edit: and a similar thing to the friends group happened in 2000. I was inconsolable for months, and really even now if I start thinking about it. That time, I was bullied out of a volunteer organization where I thought the other people were my friends, and they were people who were trying to make the world a better place, so I thought they were nice.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 3:24 pm

bee33 wrote:
skibum wrote:

It is not new for me. The part I described about the friends group happened about 2006. Part of it is me being bewildered that someone or someones can be so mean and I feel like it comes out of left field, even though I have a sense that there is a part of it that I am doing by being completely inflexible and not being able to see it from their side, and then being unable to react any other way.

I thought I had gotten better at letting things go (even when I don't completely understand them) in my older years. (I am 58.) But the thing with my best friend in the world happened nine months ago, and I didn't know I was going to react so badly, even though it is really the most terrible thing that has ever happened to me. (We were partners after knowing each other and being close for 40 years, and I thought we were going to spend our lives together.) So I find myself being reactive and "crazy" without having expected that I would still be doing that at this stage in my life.

Edit: and a similar thing to the friends group happened in 2000. I was inconsolable for months, and really even now if I start thinking about it. That time, I was bullied out of a volunteer organization where I thought the other people were my friends, and they were people who were trying to make the world a better place, so I thought they were nice.
I am so sorry, I did not ask clearly. What I meant was, is this type of reaction something you have all of your life, since childhood or is it recent as in when you became an adult. Sorry that I did not specify clearly enough. This is a very important distinction. Another important question. Does this type of thing happen frequently like every day or every couple of days or less frequently like every few weeks, months, or years? That is important because I am trying to see if you have a similar condition to mine. My condition is extremely rare, and you are the very first person I have ever encountered to describe something which might be similar. That is why I am asking these questions.

Wreck It Ralph

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 4:41 pm

I'm not really sure. Children have tantrums so it may not be as noticeable in a child, so I don't know if my reactions were exaggerated or not, but I think yes, they were.

As far as frequency, it only happens when something that I think is terrible happens, so it's fairly uncommon (every few years), but then this feeling of being unable to take it lasts for months and years. On the other hand, I avoid things so much that if I was out in the world interacting with people all the time, then maybe it would happen all the time. I don't have a job and don't really have friends so I don't deal with people a lot.

I'm not sure if this answers your question.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 6:10 pm

bee33 wrote:
I'm not really sure. Children have tantrums so it may not be as noticeable in a child, so I don't know if my reactions were exaggerated or not, but I think yes, they were.

As far as frequency, it only happens when something that I think is terrible happens, so it's fairly uncommon (every few years), but then this feeling of being unable to take it lasts for months and years. On the other hand, I avoid things so much that if I was out in the world interacting with people all the time, then maybe it would happen all the time. I don't have a job and don't really have friends so I don't deal with people a lot.

I'm not sure if this answers your question.
Was there a time when you had a job and dealt with people more? IF there was a time like that in your life, did you find that this happened all the time back then?

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 9:58 pm

Bee33, the reason I am asking you these specific questions is that as far as my doctors and therapists know, I am the only person they have ever heard of who has been able to survive to adulthood having this particular issue that I have. That is why it is important to know if you might have it also or even if you might have something similar or related to it.

Wreck It Ralph

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 7:01 pm

skibum wrote:
Bee33, the reason I am asking you these specific questions is that as far as my doctors and therapists know, I am the only person they have ever heard of who has been able to survive to adulthood having this particular issue that I have. That is why it is important to know if you might have it also or even if you might have something similar or related to it.

I've been thinking about it but I'm not sure what the answer is. I think it's always been that way for me, but I don't have specific instances that I can put my finger on when I was young. But yes, I've always been overly reactive.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 9:09 pm

bee33 wrote:
skibum wrote:

I've been thinking about it but I'm not sure what the answer is. I think it's always been that way for me, but I don't have specific instances that I can put my finger on when I was young. But yes, I've always been overly reactive.

Thank you so much for letting me know. I want to ask my therapists more about what you have said to see what they think.

My specific condition is that I do not have what is known as a protective persona. It means that I have no psychological or emotional protective shield. Any little thing that anyone says or does to me that has any negative connotation at all, can literally make me suicidal because I have no way to dampen or soften the psychological or emotional impact. It is also not possible for me to ever let anything go so I am constantly reliving past traumas. And because I have no shielding at all, these psychological and emotional traumas can happen on a literal daily basis. People who have this condition do not survive past their young teen years as far as is known because they end up committing suicide. I have been suicidal on a regular basis since the age of ten. And when I mean on a regular basis, it's like literally every few days. So far, I am the only one that my therapists have ever heard of having this and surviving into adulthood. So, I would be fascinated if you were another person like me.

Wreck It Ralph

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2023, 9:49 pm

I do believe that it's an autism trait because I'm almost exactly the same way. Every time someone I love is sick, I want to hurt myself because I feel so guilty that I can't take their pain away. I also worry excessively about them when I can't be with them. Say for example if my friend writes to me and says she doesn't feel good, I ask what's wrong with her. Then, if she tells me she has a headache, her back hurts, and she has a cold, I feel sad and anxious. She'll always say "enough questions. Too many questions make me feel sick." It's hard though because I want to constantly be there for her and I want to take her pain away, but I can't. I rarely get headaches, but I have a high pain tolerance so I would much rather take the headache myself than know my friend is in suffering and I can't stop it.

As far as you mentioning the closest person to you betraying you, I have a best friend of over 13 years who's not invited me to her wedding. This is despite the fact that we talked about everything all the time and I thought we were close like sisters. This has been one of the most difficult things I've ever had to deal with. Others include my ex transgender boyfriend who broke up with me 9 years ago and finding out that the child I mentored moved away 2 years ago.

I have a lot of emotional scars on my heart and crying doesn't always help. Sometimes I cry at night for a few minutes and it just makes me tired and puts me to sleep, but it doesn't seem to make the pain go away. I'm currently working on finding a new therapist to talk to because I let a suicide note 4 Tuesdays ago when I decided the only way to end the pain and feel better is to die and be with God. Yesterday, my dad made me promise to never commit suicide ever. That was the hardest promise to make. Long story short, I feel your pain. :(

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 2:25 am

skibum wrote:
bee33 wrote:
skibum wrote:

Thank you so much for letting me know. I want to ask my therapists more about what you have said to see what they think.

My specific condition is that I do not have what is known as a protective persona. It means that I have no psychological or emotional protective shield. Any little thing that anyone says or does to me that has any negative connotation at all, can literally make me suicidal because I have no way to dampen or soften the psychological or emotional impact. It is also not possible for me to ever let anything go so I am constantly reliving past traumas. And because I have no shielding at all, these psychological and emotional traumas can happen on a literal daily basis. People who have this condition do not survive past their young teen years as far as is known because they end up committing suicide. I have been suicidal on a regular basis since the age of ten. And when I mean on a regular basis, it's like literally every few days. So far, I am the only one that my therapists have ever heard of having this and surviving into adulthood. So, I would be fascinated if you were another person like me.

I don't think that what I experience is as severe as that. I'm sorry that you are going through this. There does seem to be some similarity, but for me I tend to only react this way if something happened that I find particularly overwhelming.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 2:27 am

playgroundlover22695 wrote:
I do believe that it's an autism trait because I'm almost exactly the same way. Every time someone I love is sick, I want to hurt myself because I feel so guilty that I can't take their pain away. I also worry excessively about them when I can't be with them. Say for example if my friend writes to me and says she doesn't feel good, I ask what's wrong with her. Then, if she tells me she has a headache, her back hurts, and she has a cold, I feel sad and anxious. She'll always say "enough questions. Too many questions make me feel sick." It's hard though because I want to constantly be there for her and I want to take her pain away, but I can't. I rarely get headaches, but I have a high pain tolerance so I would much rather take the headache myself than know my friend is in suffering and I can't stop it.

As far as you mentioning the closest person to you betraying you, I have a best friend of over 13 years who's not invited me to her wedding. This is despite the fact that we talked about everything all the time and I thought we were close like sisters. This has been one of the most difficult things I've ever had to deal with. Others include my ex transgender boyfriend who broke up with me 9 years ago and finding out that the child I mentored moved away 2 years ago.

I have a lot of emotional scars on my heart and crying doesn't always help. Sometimes I cry at night for a few minutes and it just makes me tired and puts me to sleep, but it doesn't seem to make the pain go away. I'm currently working on finding a new therapist to talk to because I let a suicide note 4 Tuesdays ago when I decided the only way to end the pain and feel better is to die and be with God. Yesterday, my dad made me promise to never commit suicide ever. That was the hardest promise to make. Long story short, I feel your pain. :(

I'm sorry that you are in so much distress. I hope you will soon find a therapist who can help you. You are not alone.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 8:19 am

Maybe you have OCD as Co morbid like myself if so yes any trauma you will find a nightmare to get rid of.

Seems like time is the only releaver, after a while the pain and thinking reduce but sometimes be replaced by the next trauma.

- George Bernie Shaw