Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 7:14 pm

Maybe if people spread awareness about Autism & Aspergers, but they are both in the same group right? If someone to that then maybe people will learn something. People got to open their eyes & ears to learn, they shouldn’t go around telling they know stuff about you & maybe telling their friends too, they are to lying to their friends.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 10:18 pm

Some people are spreading awareness and it is helping but we have a long way to go.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 9:51 am

Spreading awareness is great, and helpful, but one can really only fully understand Autism and Asperger's if they have lived it. Don't let the facts that NTs don't fully understand it get you down. They will never fully understand it.

Case in point. I can imagine what it would be like to fully read non-verbal cues from others, but I really don't understand what that is like, because I can't do it. NTs can't really understand how an upset to our routine, or overstimulation can lead to a meltdown because they don't experience such things. What is overstimulating to us is just the right level of stimulation to them.

It would be like trying to explain the color red to someone who can only see in black and white.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 10:44 am

It can be as difficult for them to understand us as it can be for us to understand them.

Wreck It Ralph

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 12:19 pm

And 99% or more of people who NTs come in contact with are NTs. So their default interaction style and expectations are NT style. People just don't have to cognitive capacity to keep lots of things in mind at the same time, so they aren't always going to remember Aspie needs and styles to be ready to interact with them no matter how much we education them.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 1:03 am

People in my town should know more, they have children that have Autism, I don’t know if they know that Autism can never go away when children grow up to be adults. I know NTs won’t fully understand us, but they should know at least little bit & they should believe you without calling you a liar, why would you lie to them if they really know you? If people get Alzheimer’s or another disease, they will learn. When my mom was bitten by a mosquito, it was a rare one, she got West Nile, people in my family learned about it. People can have a car accident & because paralyzed, they become very different. People cannot control things.