Is it weird that I don't like myself or my disability.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2023, 7:49 pm

I'm not sure if I hate myself but I sure have low self esteem. I get up everyday and is different for with disabilities in Canada. There isn't enough money and I wish I could have more friends. I also don't like my disability because I can't get a good volunteer job that is exciting. I get depressed. Anyone here feel similar to how I feel?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 11:38 pm

It is not weird but pretty common.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 2:58 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I'm not sure if I hate myself but I sure have low self esteem. I get up everyday and is different for with disabilities in Canada. There isn't enough money and I wish I could have more friends. I also don't like my disability because I can't get a good volunteer job that is exciting. I get depressed. Anyone here feel similar to how I feel?

I feel like that half of the time.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 5:21 am

Sounds normal to me.
i consider myself to be moderately successful in life - but I still get frustrated and down sometimes about the limitations from my autism.

cool09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2023, 11:25 am

I never liked myself since I was 13 when I started getting sick. I never liked the person I was because my illness controlled my life. My self-esteem has always been poor.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 11:32 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:

Deeply relatable. :(

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 1:11 am

I have been in a depression for the past couple of weeks over being an Aspie and what it has cost me in life.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 9:26 am

It's common. Ultimately, it's up to the individual to come to peace with it and find something about it to like. Not that it's terribly easy in some cases, some disabilities are easier to come to peace with than others.

But, not liking yourself is in a lot of ways a much bigger problem. You don't have to like the things you do or the experiences you've had, but not liking yourself is a pretty big problem if you ever hope to have a decent life. There may be people out there that don't like themselves, but do like their lives, but probably not many.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2023, 11:53 am

what do you mean?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 11:59 am

I hate myself

work minimum wage and part time and can't afford anything like a car or whatever

Officially diagnosed clinical depression

Plenty of people can't get jobs, much less good jobs. There are plenty of reasons why:. Skill, networking, insufficient jobs, disability, personality, luck

Plenty of people without any diagnosis, still can't get jobs or good jobs

What a "good" job is, is different for everyone

"Life" goes on and on and on and on

Nobody gets everything they want

Nobody has to "right" to be happy

Especially since coronavirus, plenty of people unemployed or underemployed

Not a fact, law, or geometric proof:. Just my opinion: Most "people" act like they are so morally innocent and awesome. They act like they are perfect. Most "people" have way too much "self esteem". They are self righteous, self important, and totally full of themselves. Again, just my opinion. Not a measurement, fact, law, geometric proof or anything like that

Misanthropic

I myself but I hate everyone else even more than I hate myself (shift the coordinate axis)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 2:54 pm

I've never liked myself because I always imagine myself as someone who looks weak and pathetic. I seem to have that look in my eyes that says I'm dense and stupid. And I've never liked my appearance either. My eyes are too close together and my forehead is small but with thick eyebrows. I hate looking the way I do. And I hate having blue eyes.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 3:08 pm

I don't like myself but I've realised I don't really have the ability to self evaluate in a positive way.
Others don't seem repulsed by me (quite the opposite in fact) so I have to concede that I dont see myself as others see me and hating myself is pointless, victim mentality.
I do still do it occasionally, though.
It's a hard habit to break.