Question about Neurodevelopmental Disorder similar to ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 9:05 pm

What Neurodevelopmental Disorder would it be if some people only meet diagnostic criteria B for Autism Spectrum Disorder, e.g., restricted interests and repetitive behaviors?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 9:21 pm

I don't think there is a disorder just for repetitive behaviours. Unless they are tics, then it might be tourette's.

A few years ago, repetitive behaviours might have come under PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise sepcified). Nowadays if it was bad enough to need a diagnosis it would probably still come under autism spectrum disorder.

But I guess it would be unusual for someone with autism to have the repetitive behaviours and no problems at all in the social / communication areas. The issues tend to go together. Are you referring to an actual person/case?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 9:27 pm

I think so, but my question was a bit broad, I am sorry!

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 1:58 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
I don't think there is a disorder just for repetitive behaviours. Unless they are tics, then it might be tourette's.

A few years ago, repetitive behaviours might have come under PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise sepcified). Nowadays if it was bad enough to need a diagnosis it would probably still come under autism spectrum disorder.

But I guess it would be unusual for someone with autism to have the repetitive behaviours and no problems at all in the social / communication areas. The issues tend to go together. Are you referring to an actual person/case?

There is a diagnosis related to only diagnostic criteria B for Autism Spectrum Disorder, it's Stereotypic Movement Disorder. Although most people say that it's usually not diagnosis on it's own.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 2:06 pm

Sometimes anxiety and environmental factors can cause some forms of visible stimming, particularly in children and adolescents. My definitely NT cousin went through a phase of nodding his head a lot when he was about 11, which was very visible even in public, because his parents were going through divorce and kept arguing, plus he had just started at a new school.