Page 3 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 11:22 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
ive got 2 horrid white lamps (one LED) either side of me but i dont feel as sick if both are on rather than just one to the side

Ill see what theyve got around town

I think i have a couple of those colour changing lightbulbs but i put them away somewhere and forgot about them!

I can't do light on one side either!

Good luck with the colour changers! Sometimes they're really faded.
Always look for a good red and everything else should follow suit.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 11:37 pm

okay!

thanks for sharing those cosy pics :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 11:47 pm

Last one! :heart:

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 12:47 am

Nearly all my lights are pointed at walls or the ceiling, it helps to diffuse the light. The further you can get the light from the wall without shining in your eyes, the more diffuse it gets.

You can always get a floor lamp and paint the inside of the reflector to block all the light so that it just reflects off the ceiling and use the lowest lumen bulb that fits.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 3:15 am

I don't use.a lot of regular lights since my eyes are very sensitive to light. I have multicoloured fairy lights I sometimes use when I need more.light. Most.of the time I just use nightlights that don't have the light bulb directly visible as lights. I turn down the brightness on My screens as well.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2023, 9:58 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Nearly all my lights are pointed at walls or the ceiling, it helps to diffuse the light. The further you can get the light from the wall without shining in your eyes, the more diffuse it gets.

You can always get a floor lamp and paint the inside of the reflector to block all the light so that it just reflects off the ceiling and use the lowest lumen bulb that fits.

Okay good tip i didnt know about reflectors.

Isabella; ive bought a standard table lamp for my bedside from the shops its an improvement but not perfect as i can see the bulb from above if im close-ish. I havent ordered online yet too many options, ill have to bite the bullet and do it!!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 10:01 pm

How big is the lamp? You could always stack it up on some coffee table books or something so it's a bit higher?

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2023, 10:15 pm

oh thats a good idea!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 10:45 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:

Okay good tip i didnt know about reflectors.

Isabella; ive bought a standard table lamp for my bedside from the shops its an improvement but not perfect as i can see the bulb from above if im close-ish. I havent ordered online yet too many options, ill have to bite the bullet and do it!!

TBH, if you're not a photographer or an interior designer, you probably wouldn't think about it. But, generally, indirect light is going to be less harsh and less likely to be a problem at any level of light as it's more spread out. If you can also use a dimmer light source, that works as well.

If you have to share the space, then you may be stuck with colored lights and colored sunglasses to filter out some of the light to make it more comfortable.

There is a reason why the ideal space tends to have a combination of area lights and task lights. Ones that give general light to the space and ones that are more focused on specific areas.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 11:30 pm

Wow isabellalinton you have really cool lights.

Ikea.is great.for.lights. I've gotten some really nice.ones in the children's department that give off a soft.glow.that is really easy to look at.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 3:36 am

I have LED string lights in my room and often use those over other light sources. They give off a lot less light, and come in different colours and designs.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2023, 8:20 am

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
what do you do to avoid over stimulation from light bulbs late at night? they stress me out and cause insomnia

i put a blanket or pillow over my eyes

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2023, 9:10 am

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
oh thats a good idea!

How are things going now, jimmy?

nomoore
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2023, 12:06 pm

For me, bright light from a single source stresses me out. LED and fluorescent lights stress me out. Glare (like off a shiny car) kills me. Bright headlights at night kill me.

I live with others who like a lot of light so my first line of defense is my FL-41 tinted glasses and my hat. FL-41 is a tint that has been found to help people who have light sensitivity. I had to search for an eyeglass vendor who could tint my prescription glasses with it though. And the one I found had to call their lab to see if it could be done. You can get clip on FL-41 shades to use if you wear prescription glasses and you can get FL-41 tinted (non-prescription) "migraine" glasses on Amazon and some other vendors if you want to try it out. I've heard some autistic people prefer other colors so YMMV.

As for lighting itself, here's some things that help me. Keep in mind some of these things are to reduce blue light, which I and many others are sensitive to.
--Use lower wattage bulbs distributed throughout the room instead of one or two fixtures full of 60 watt equivalent bulbs--
--Use "warm" 3000k yellow bulbs in every light fixture
--Use indirect lighting where the only thing that "sees" the bulb or diffuser is the wall or some other object. Light bounced off a -wall is so much easier to look at because the light is spread out a bit over the surface of the wall and dimmed in comparison to looking at the bulb or a thin diffuser. As has been said previously, moving the light source away from the wall increases this effect, though the farther from the wall the harder it is to hide the light source.
--Use incandescent bulbs whenever possible (salt lamps are great! Lava lamps are fun). CF (or any fluorescent) flickers. LED often flickers, especially when used with a dimmer. CF and LED also put off a lot of blue light which many people are sensitive to, including me.
--Install light switches with dimmers (if you must use with LED or CF make sure the lights are compatible with dimmers)
-- Your TV/phone/tablet/computer screen is a light source. Limit exposure if possible. When you can't limit, use night mode (turns the screen brown/amber) as much as possible, even during the day. Adjust your TV color settings to "Warm".

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2023, 12:51 pm

Amber colour seems to work well for me if not too bright .all my inside led lights have shades over them,
They do make natural colour grow lights that are full spectrum.. But even those can be way too bright .
Some of the evison Led bulbs, (As they are promoted) . have a much more amber colour to them and are much more tolerable for me . Am using tinted glasses to drive with at night normally especially if going to be driving for awhile.
As of last even my normal lights last night ..induced a migraine to me. And pretty sure it is common with persons with a over reactive nervous system. Which is next to saying nothing for Aspies as , i do believe most Aspies have a hyper reactive nervous system. If for no other reason we seem to have hyper development of nerves . And probably not just with our eyes. SPEC scans ,i have seen over and over seem to bear out the larger number of neural pathways lighting up during the SPEC scans.VS NT SPEC scans

where ever you go ,there you are

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2023, 6:10 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:
oh thats a good idea!

How are things going now, jimmy?

I sticky taped paper over the lamp shades to add extra shade. Parents think it's a fire risk but the bulbs aren't hot so I think it's fine. It's just a temporary measure. I have one new light stacked on books. I have three standing lights ordered from Amazon still in boxes lol