Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2007, 7:14 pm

Do you prefer relationships with aspies to NTs? And no, I'm not talking about "romantic relationships," but relationships in the general sense. Friends, acquaintances, etc.

I don't know my own preference, because I don't personally know any aspies.

In one hand you could imagine an aspie to aspie relationship being better because they both have the same condition. They both speak the same language and don't operate on body language, but they operate on explicit communication. They're more likely to understand each other because they're similar in that they're aspies.

In the other, you might imagine an aspie to aspie relationship being even worse than an aspie to NT relationship because both individuals are lacking in social skill, not just one. For example, I remember reading in another thread that many people here say that NTs find them aggressive and particularly rude or angry. What if other aspies get the same signals and think the other aspie is angry, rude, etc. as well? And so they both end up thinking they hate each other. In other words, the lack of social skill among the two individuals combines and makes a whole shit-mess of a situation.

Actually, come to think of it, I do think I know/have known a few aspies in the real world. My dad, I suspect is an aspie and one kid from my previous college was a diagnosed and very conspicuous aspie. My relationship with my dad is okay, and has actually improved since I've learned about Asperger's Syndrome. I feel like I really understand him. He's more of a domineering personality and likes to talk, talk, talk. I'm more of a laconic aspie. I usually like to listen though, because he knows a lot about history and many other things. He's quite an adept fact collector, and I suppose we have that bit in common; we're both readers and value education and knowledge.

The other guy, Jason, with whom I went to college is an okay guy too. Doesn't really have friends and he definitely has that aspie look about him. You could practically guess he's an aspie just by looking at him. He was pretty egocentric, it appeared, would talk very loudly, and make a lot of strange comments when we were playing games in the game club. Everybody laughed at him. He was not a dumb kid either (he's supposedly a member of Mensa--so he at least has a good IQ), so he must have known and somehow didn't care that all the laughing and jokes were at his expense. Where the hell is the dignity? I thought. I remember I corrected him once in class when he was giving a presentation. He said as the laser in a CD-ROM with a constant information input rate moves to the outer part of the disc, the motor spinning to disc speeds up. I corrected him and said it slowed down. He said I was wrong. I told him to look it up. (I know you don't have to look it up, but only actually think about it in your mind.) But we did, and I was right. He was visibly upset about it and acted quite childish.

I've talked to him other times and he's not a bad guy. But I wouldn't say he's the kind of guy whom I'd want to befriend. But then again, I'm not really into befriending people. I like being by myself. I guess, it's more important for my friends to have the same interests me than to have the same neurological defect.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Do you prefer relationships (I'm talking about real-life relationships--not online relationships) with aspies, or do you prefer NTs? Any stories about experiences (again, real life experiences) with relationships with other aspies you've had? Let's hear it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 7:18 pm

I can go either way when it comes to regular friendships. As far as romantic relationships go, I prefer another Aspie.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 7:21 pm

I only seem to get along ok with older NT people, and they are always very intelligent. I don't even try talking to anyone who isn't intelligent...not through a conscious choice, I just seem to... know.
But oddly, I do seem to gravitate towards other aspies, and speak to a few of those. I wouldn't say they are friends as I don't tend to consider anyone a friend for the most part.
Mostly, I just cannot mingle with NTs at all.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 7:21 pm

I haven't tried to be in one with a aspie... not that I know of.
I'm open to a relationship with an aspie but I don't know of any in real life.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 7:33 pm

My relationships are neurologically diverse.

- Emerson

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2007, 7:42 pm

MrMark wrote:
My relationships are neurologically diverse.

lol

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 3:33 am

I am actually not sure which I prefer.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

20 Aug 2007, 4:26 am

Married to an Aspie, mother of 2 Aspie sons ....... wouldn't have it any other way!

Helen

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 12:24 pm

I have a number of friends, all of them NT, but I got some Aspie ones online. For the most part I really don't care which c:

Yameretzu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2007, 1:03 pm

I know both, in my experience it's easier to date an NT because if your both aspie it can be hard when you both have meltdowns.

My long-term partner is an NT, although he is unusually patient; he's not perfect but when I have my meltdown he holds me until I calm down and he tries to help me with my problems. Although sometimes he seems borderline NT/AS so who knows.

As for friends both are fine.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 1:11 pm

My last bf was most likely an undiagnosed aspie; in retrospect, that's what attracted me to him. We broke up amicably, and I still consider us friends. I was attracted to him because he was the most honorable - the most honest - person I'd ever met; it made me feel safe. You can never tell what's happening with NTs; they could be cheating on you, or planning to kill you, or planning to take all of your money and leave, or mocking you surruptitiously in public or to their friends, and still act friendly and nice to your face.

He's one of the few people I can be around without feeling more stressed afterwards rather than less.

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 1:16 pm

LKL wrote:
My last bf was most likely an undiagnosed aspie; in retrospect, that's what attracted me to him. We broke up amicably, and I still consider us friends. I was attracted to him because he was the most honorable - the most honest - person I'd ever met; it made me feel safe. You can never tell what's happening with NTs; they could be cheating on you, or planning to kill you, or planning to take all of your money and leave, or mocking you surruptitiously in public or to their friends, and still act friendly and nice to your face.

He's one of the few people I can be around without feeling more stressed afterwards rather than less.

Isn't that a bit misanthropic? It's not like NT= someone who does crimes against humanity x:

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2007, 4:44 pm

I know a whole lot more NT's than Aspies, so it is hard to say.
Most NT's will comment on certain things I do, which annoys me, but I have also had an Aspie tell me off for not making much eye-contact.
I prefer cats.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Aug 2007, 7:24 pm

i dont really care at this point. i just want a friendship with another human irl :D

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 8:48 am

I have sort of been in a relationship with someone with suspect ASD and there was a bit of a clash there. I think when it comes to love relationship I am better of with an NT but anything else doesn't bother I have made friends with Aspies and NTs and get on with everyone just the same.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 8:54 am

I can make friends with anyone as long as they share common interests and beliefs and if they are good and honest people.