When did you feel 'seen' by a piece of media?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 3:37 pm

When I saw this. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2023, 4:49 pm

I related a lot with Balki from the sitcom Perfect Strangers. He wasn't autistic but he did act like me a lot.

But the best show I've seen with characters I can relate to is A Kind of Spark (Based on the book which is also really good). I really related with both of the autistic characters (Played by actual autistic actors). In the fifth episode, Keedie had a sensory meltdown and it made me feel 'seen' as you say because I've had a few experiences like that. In the first episode, Addie had a short-outburst-type meltdown and I am more prone to those types of meltdowns.
It didn't just talk about meltdowns though. I related to Addie when others undermined her abilities. Keedie also masked a lot and I tend to mask too much.

Anyway, I don't want to talk too much, but those two shows really resonated with me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 9:48 pm

While watching Hogan's Heroes. Schultz really resonates with me. The trouble he seems to have with eye-contact. His lack of emotional regulation and the way that he's so easily duped by the prisoners.