Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sminthian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 6

27 Dec 2023, 9:39 pm

I've thought for many years that I'm probably autistic, with Asperger's Syndrome. Finally this year at 43 years old I started doing the official testing and on Dec 15th I got my diagnosis...of Autism Spectrum Disorder. That's apparently what they call everything now.
I was always hoping something would seem different if I get diagnosed, but this is just nothing. There's something wrong with me, just like there's something wrong with everyone else.
I'm just wondering if anyone else got diagnosed and it wasn't a life-changing thing for them either.



David1346
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2023
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 101
Location: Nevada

28 Dec 2023, 11:26 pm

Finally this year at 43 years old I started doing the official testing and on Dec 15th I got my diagnosis...of Autism Spectrum Disorder. That's apparently what they call everything now.

Congratulations. I self diagnosed when I was in my mid-50's and was clinically diagnosed when I was 59. You are correct regarding Asperger's. Asperger's was withdrawn as a diagnosis in the States starting in 2013 with the publication of the DSM-5. As you likely know, there are three levels of autism. I'm at level 1.

I was always hoping something would seem different if I get diagnosed, but this is just nothing
I was relieved to find out why I was the way I was. Although reading part of my diagnosis was a bit emotionally painful since I didn't particularly enjoy reading about my weaknesses, I sucked it up and read all 8 pages. I then worked to offset my weaknesses.

For example, I used to live in a large city. After learning I was autistic, I moved to a rural community. There's far less traffic out in the country. There's less pollution. While I miss the dining and shopping options, I think the trade off has been good for me. Housing prices were a lot better. I used to rent a one bedroom, one bathroom 900 square foot condo for $1100 per month. I now OWN a 2,400 square foot 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 2 story house and pay $900/month in mortgage fees. Last summer I had solar panels installed on my roof. During the height of the summer, I paid $200/month for electricity - primarily because of the A/C. Now that it's winter, my monthly bill has dropped to $13 which is the minimum the utility company will charge to maintain a connection to the grid.

I also "came out" as autistic. I used my diagnosis to leverage workplace accommodations. I'm a high school teacher and while there has been an unwritten expectation that teachers are supposed to attend local games, to attend PTO meetings, and to chaperone proms; no such expectations apply to me. I am also excused from attending noisy pep rallies and school assemblies. When we have faculty meetings, I have the option of attending these meetings virtually.

My life has improved since my diagnosis - but I had to advocate for myself.



autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2020
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,099
Location: Alpena MI

29 Dec 2023, 8:59 am

it took a while (years) for my autism diagnosis to dawn on me, to understand how it had worked while hidden from all of us for so long, and to understand how truly impaired my autism made me to attempt to live up to all the expectations from others in my life. Give yourself some time... its a lot to process, to find self understanding and to see things from this new perspective. And the older we are (age) at diagnosis the more "stuff from the past" we have to sort and to put into new perspective. I suspected my autism almost 9 years ago, am starting on my 5th year after diagnosis, and still learning new stuff, seeing stuff in a new light and having "aha" moments.


_________________
https://oldladywithautism.blog/

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,340
Location: my own little world

29 Dec 2023, 12:48 pm

Super congrats on your diagnosis.

There really isn't any reason to feel different after getting diagnosed because you are still the exact same person that you have always been. Nothing about that changes just because you can now identify the neurology that you have.

What I felt, I was diagnosed nine years ago at the age of 47, I just turned 57, I was diagnosed right before I turned 48m, was a sense of liberation and validation. What I was able to feel was the ability to finally understand myself and my authenticity and to no longer have to feel like I was broken or abnormal. But other than that, I did not change. If anything, I am now living much more authentically than I was ever able to before because I now understand who and what I authentically am.

Don't worry about how you feel about finally officiating that you are Autistic. As you get to know yourself better and understand how your brain works, your feelings may evolve. It's fine to feel whatever you feel or nothing at all. You are exactly the same person you were before you were diagnosed. As you grow as a person, your feelings will grow as well but it's not a set thing. Everyone is different so don't worry about it and just enjoy the journey of self discovery.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,472
Location: U.S.A.         (Mid-Atlantic)

29 Dec 2023, 3:51 pm

You will find a number of folk on WP who got a diagnosis later in life and are delighted by how much of their life it explained. I'm one of those folk. I was diagnosed when I was 64, did not need or want therapy, did not need any adjustments at work because I retired when I was 56.

But I was delighted by the diagnosis and the self-understanding it gives me.
(I think my bride understands me better, too.)

But I can only think of three benefits coming from the diagnosis:

1. Wrong Planet :alien:

2. Perhaps more of a hoped-for benefit, I found:
□ The Academic Autism Spectrum Partnership in Research and Education (AASPIRE)
□ Their HEALTHCARE TOOLKIT: Patient Centered Care Tools for Autistic Adults
□ And it's "How Autism Can Affect Healthcare"
There appear to be quite a few other potentially useful things there...though, frankly, even when I bring it to the attention of my healthcare providers they seem disinterested. :duh:

3. When my bride bumps up against one of my Autism traits I get to say:
I have a doctor's note for that! :D This amuses me more than it amuses her.


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,340
Location: my own little world

30 Dec 2023, 12:58 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I have a doctor's note for that! :D This amuses me more than it amuses her.

Brilliant!! ! That's the best, isn't it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,472
Location: U.S.A.         (Mid-Atlantic)

30 Dec 2023, 7:18 pm

skibum wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
I have a doctor's note for that! :D This amuses me more than it amuses her.

Brilliant!! ! That's the best, isn't it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
YES! Something else she and I disagree on. :thumright: I try to be careful to only use it for Autism traits and she seldom gives me an excuse to say it.


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 47,970
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

25 Jan 2024, 8:56 pm

I was 43 when I was diagnosed, too. My daughter had just been diagnosed on the spectrum 14 years ago, and so I decided to read up on autism. That was when I had started recognizing a great deal of myself in the description, especially from back when I was a kid. So, I went to the same psychologist, and he diagnosed me with what had until recently been referred to as Asperger's. Did it change my life? Well, if anything, my life made a great deal more sense to me, and I felt it less necessary to hide my weirdness and quirks behind a façade of "normalcy."


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 70,436
Location: Chez Quis

25 Jan 2024, 9:00 pm

Not everything needs to have a feeling attached.
You gained insight, and that's often enough.
We all want insight or we wouldn't bother being assessed.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 1 Feb 2024
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 230
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

01 Feb 2024, 5:39 pm

Hello to everyone!

It has only been a few days since I realized, in my 54th, that there is a very high probability that I am a high masking autistic women..and I would lie if I say that right now I am not in a state of shock.

I knew I was always different, an introvert maybe. But an autistic person? No. I am still in shock from realizing, not so long ago, that I was raised by a narcissistic, mother like, older sister and I came up with recognizing myself in all symptoms of CPTSD. And I thought that's it, I have finally find what is wrong with me and why I act the way I act.

But further research suggested that I probably have both - ctspd and autism.

In my country there is no community that gathers or supports adults with late diagnose of autism. Actually, there is nobody who does autism diagnostics for adults. In this very moment it freaks me out very much - the fact that I don't have anybody to talk with about this. I have contacted local associations, but nobody replied, probably because their primary concerns are children with autism. So please, forgive my English, I write the best I can.

I think that my father was a classic case of Aspergers syndrome.

And as for me I don't know what to say, I love the way I am, but, yes, myself on some completely other planet would be much better. With people like myself.


_________________
Someone wrote in their signature English is not their first language. Same here.


MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 26 Mar 2023
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,404

01 Feb 2024, 6:14 pm

Sminthian wrote:
I've thought for many years that I'm probably autistic, with Asperger's Syndrome. Finally this year at 43 years old I started doing the official testing and on Dec 15th I got my diagnosis...of Autism Spectrum Disorder. That's apparently what they call everything now.
I was always hoping something would seem different if I get diagnosed, but this is just nothing. There's something wrong with me, just like there's something wrong with everyone else.
I'm just wondering if anyone else got diagnosed and it wasn't a life-changing thing for them either.

Honestly, it hasn't been that long since you got the diagnosis, it could still change things. Most likely, it'll take some experimentation based on the knowledge that you're autistic enough to get the diagnosis, even though it's like 4 decades late in coming. There's a decent chance that you're in some sort of denial of sorts, or that the lack of a diagnosis wasn't really impacting you as much due to the life you were leading.

That being said, it was one of the dumbest ideas ever to fold AS into ASD. It creates a significant gap between autism and schizophrenia that leads to no support and no research funding.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 47,970
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

01 Feb 2024, 11:58 pm

DazyDaisy wrote:
Hello to everyone!

It has only been a few days since I realized, in my 54th, that there is a very high probability that I am a high masking autistic women..and I would lie if I say that right now I am not in a state of shock.

I knew I was always different, an introvert maybe. But an autistic person? No. I am still in shock from realizing, not so long ago, that I was raised by a narcissistic, mother like, older sister and I came up with recognizing myself in all symptoms of CPTSD. And I thought that's it, I have finally find what is wrong with me and why I act the way I act.

But further research suggested that I probably have both - ctspd and autism.

In my country there is no community that gathers or supports adults with late diagnose of autism. Actually, there is nobody who does autism diagnostics for adults. In this very moment it freaks me out very much - the fact that I don't have anybody to talk with about this. I have contacted local associations, but nobody replied, probably because their primary concerns are children with autism. So please, forgive my English, I write the best I can.

I think that my father was a classic case of Aspergers syndrome.

And as for me I don't know what to say, I love the way I am, but, yes, myself on some completely other planet would be much better. With people like myself.


Welcome to the club!


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 1 Feb 2024
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 230
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

02 Feb 2024, 1:42 am

@Kraichgauer, Thank you!!


_________________
Someone wrote in their signature English is not their first language. Same here.


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 47,970
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

02 Feb 2024, 2:31 am

DazyDaisy wrote:
@Kraichgauer, Thank you!!


You're welcome! 8)


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


TeslasPigeon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 2 Feb 2024
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
Location: Maryland

02 Feb 2024, 9:44 pm

Sminthian wrote:
I've thought for many years that I'm probably autistic, with Asperger's Syndrome. Finally this year at 43 years old I started doing the official testing and on Dec 15th I got my diagnosis...of Autism Spectrum Disorder. That's apparently what they call everything now.
I was always hoping something would seem different if I get diagnosed, but this is just nothing. There's something wrong with me, just like there's something wrong with everyone else.
I'm just wondering if anyone else got diagnosed and it wasn't a life-changing thing for them either.


I'm 43 as well and just finding out. It was so obvious however I believe it was missed because I was also deaf until 2017 when I received a cochlear implant. My therapists said an official diagnosis would not do much for me and would be to expensive. I asked her what to do and she said look on youtube and self learning.

I feel completely lost and don't know what to do. I feel like I have to tell everyone I'm on the spectrum before I talk to them but I can't even say that honestly because I don't officially have a diagnosis. At the same time I'm obviously socially awkward, walk on my toes.........

I'm hoping some people can offer me some direction and advice here



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,705
Location: Stalag 13

03 Feb 2024, 11:47 am

That's the reason I don't have any bias towards the undiagnosed because the undiagnosed end up diagnosed at one point or another.


_________________
Who wants to adopt a Sweet Pea?