Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 2:18 pm

is that what i'm doing?

well, it would be helpful to me if someone could say that to me, if it is the case. and it would also be courteous to receive replies to PMs.

i will in no way knock what the mods do - it's a thankless task, much of the time - and i applaud the job they do, in most cases. i am simply puzzled as to whether the rules above are being implemented, as i cannot see that they are, in one particular instance.

i believe that the rules are there to make WP a safe place for any and all, and so my query is out of THAT concern, and not (as i'm sure i'll be accused, whether overtly or not) out of my personal political agenda.

if the rules weren't there, people (including me) here would have fewer expectations.

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 6:12 pm

I don't want to see anyone get banned. However, it would be nice if certain persons (not naming any names) would be more respectful towards others. I fear that Malcolm Scipio is leaving this board as the result of abuse and that is unacceptable. Abuse must not be tolerated.

If mods are not issuing warnings, at a bare minimum, then they are clearly not doing their jobs, and as much as I hate to say it maybe it is right if Vetivert does tell them how to do their jobs.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 3:03 am

thanks, Psychlone - i sometimes do wonder if i'm getting it wrong, and it's good to know i'm not. i respect and value all constructive feedback, whether "positive" or "negative".

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 3:56 am

I don't remember witnessing any abuse here, I thought everyone was nice here. But then again, I haven't seen the posts that got deleted in the Hate Clowns topic. I'm surprised a topic about clowns could turn into something like that though.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:25 am

Vetivert,

Let me PM you about what the mods currently do and warch for. In the meantime, please read the Moderators Guidelines in the Moderators forum. They are very helpful.

Thank You

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:58 am

thanks, louis - only i can't read anything in the mods forum, cos i'm not a mod... 8O or am i now? confusion, confusion... i do know what mods do, as i had "what mods have to do" explained to me last week

thank you for the PM, though - yes, it was useful.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 10:52 am

The intentions behind offenses are highly significant. I mean, realistically, as Aspies, there is no way we can always avoid offending, or being offended. Sometimes an Aspie's honesty can indeed be brutal and certainly it can be difficult for us to interpret things at times. I think that the moderators have to look at the context of the discussion and determine if the offense someone took was because of an intentional attack that was done to hurt, or insult someone, or if it was just "general Aspiness" - for lack of a better term at this moment.

I think that if one of us says something and someone replies that they are offended by it, then we should try to explain it to the best of our abilities in a manner that may not be so offensive. I know my honest opinion is not immune to being offensive sometimes, just as I am not immune to misinterpreting things that were not intended to be offensive. That's sort of what I meant by general Aspiness.

Attacking someone's lifestyle, beliefs, characteristics, difficulties and other things that they may try to discuss here should not be done. That is not to say that people should be afraid to post their opinions on such things. Let me try to ellaborate (oh no, here we go again)...

If I say, "I hate beets" and someone says, "how can you not like beets? they taste so good" then I am not offended and I would say that they just don't have the appearance of something that I am interested in putting in my mouth. If someone says "only a complete moron hates beets," then I would see that as an attack and assume the person is saying that I am a moron. It would be an unproductive reply to the initial statement. if it was much ruder than that and clearly in violation of the posted rules then the person who posted it should get a warning. That may not be the best example.

When rules go unenforced on a site like this, it starts to become obvious that people can get away with certain things that they shouldn't be allowed to get away with. This can quickly get out of control and eventually degrade the quality of the site for everyone involved, forcing people to find a place where rules actually are enforced.

There should be an awareness that rules are enforced, but not a fear. We shouldn't be afraid of being ourselves, but at the same time no one should have to put up with us if ALL we are doing is insulting, belittling and hurting other people. However, an awareness that rules are not enforced produces chaos. And when someone says something that makes another person no longer wish to be here then that needs to be addressed by those who enforce the rules. perhaps it was a misunderstanding, perhaps not. If it was an obvious attempt to hurt someone then the moderators and admins need to start warning.

Alex has said, if someone offends you, let him know. He has defined our role in the security of this site and we have to realize that if we think something was done that was highly innapropriate then we have the ability to do our part by pointing it out to those in charge. This also must not get out of hand, otherwise Alex would be flooded with complaints everytime someone posted an honest opinion that someone else didn't agree with and that would degrade the integrity of the site as well, as he would inevitably be forced to construct stricter regulations.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 2:24 am

Quote:
With recent topics of discussion, I'm beginning to think that WP is directed towards adults. I do not understand most of the issues discussed, and I was "sheltered" from bad words and grown-up issues until I joined. I myself am one of WrongPlanets youngest active members, and I feel out of place here. Even though there is a children's forum here, no one has posted in the Kids' Crater in over a month. This is because children are few and far between on this site. I am feeling uncomfortable with my naîveté, and I am just at a different stage of knowledge than most of the members of this site. I think I am just too young. For this reason, I am thinking about leaving WrongPlanet until I become more adultlike Sad

Chris:
As an eighth grader, you are probably going through some of the things that many of the "adults" on the board went through. I grant you that there is sometimes a little too much bad language on the board, but it is the language of frustration!

As a number of people have said, if it really bothers you, why do something that bothers you, but as the ADHD parent of an Aspi kid (one I'm pushing to log onto this board with his own user Id) I can tell you that some of the things people say inbetween the "frustration" will help you.

Good luck with your decision

RES
:wink:

ridgerider
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2005, 6:50 pm

Funny in way, about the site being seen more for adults and not kids because I am new here but was evaluating it in reverse terms - that the site was too oriented for youths. Of course, I am 55 and have 2 grandchildren so it is all relative I guess.

Too young, too old? We seem to have one thing in common, the fringe aged - both groups are outside the 18-49 demographic that advertisers seek out so aggressively. No idea if that has any relevance at all, just an observation.

Tho the lack of banners and popups (YEAH!) seems to indicate two things - advertisers aren't here, and the moderators are probably going broke keeping this afloat.

I like the order and structure. Even if a bit arbitrary, I know what to expect when there is a TOS.

The only thing I don't like about the TOS is that "offense" is written "offence" which tho technically acceptable is so out of general usage it bothers me to see it. Not that I will be rereading the TOS, probably - most likely never again for that matter.