Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Jul 2004, 9:56 am

WrongPlanet.net is a family friendly community designed to be appropriate for all ages. We respectfully require that no swearing is used in posts, no violent or sexual imagery is used, and that posters be aware of our many younger members.To ensure a positive environment, no personal attacks are to be made against other members. If attacks are made, we will be required to remove the offensive content.

The policy regarding acceptable behaviour on the forums is as follows:

Personal attacks, which include insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect, are not allowed on the forums.

Aggressive, or offensive (i.e. sexist, racist, homophobic, etc), behaviour intended to provoke or belittle other members or groups of members is also not allowed. This also applies to Private Messages.

This will be formally enforced as follows.

A member who has committed an offence will receive three warnings by PM from a moderator.

The member has the right to know what caused offence and why, and a record will be kept on the moderators forum so that we can keep track and avoid individual bias.

The offence is cancelled if the member makes a genuine apology if no offence was intended or was on impulse, provided the member does not continue to provoke or upset others.

If three warnings are recorded and the member behaves uncivilly again, they will be banned for one week.

Further violations of the policy will lead to further action by the arbitration committee.

Also, we believe in freedom of speech, but because of online child protection legislation, we will sometimes be forced to remove content that is innapropriate for children. Also, we will remove illegal content such as serial codes, and copyrighted content (only content that is not covered by fair use guidelines, however). Thank you for using WrongPlanet.net.

Last edited by alex on 18 Aug 2004, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2004, 10:02 am

what counts as swearing?

Sonas càirdeas

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

29 Jul 2004, 2:44 pm

We don't know the admins. e-mail addresses.

This may be helpful from the Stats Forum: Member's Ages

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2004, 8:46 pm

KtMcS wrote:
what counts as swearing?

It includes the words from George Carlin's infamous "Seven Dirty Words". In other words -- terms you can't say on network television. PG is a general guideline.

Also, any outright personal attacks on others using phrases like "you suck" or "you're a stupid idiot" are NOT allowed.

Hope this helps :)

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2004, 3:50 pm

Quote:
In other words -- terms you can't say on network television.

that depends on the country :lol:

Sonas càirdeas

Angr_the_Cebcurg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2004, 11:54 am

Torley_Wong wrote:
Also, any outright personal attacks on others using phrases like "you suck" or "you're a stupid idiot" are NOT allowed.

Does "You are a stupid man's idiot." count?

;)

http://www32.brinkster.com/ascdecode/decode.asp

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2004, 1:04 am

Is the discussion of drug use (pot) allowed?

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2004, 11:54 am

SineWave wrote:

Only in the mature forum towards the bottom of the page, I think.

:!: Mich :?:

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2004, 12:12 pm

Mich wrote:
SineWave wrote:

Only in the mature forum towards the bottom of the page, I think.

:!: Mich :?:

that would make sense.

dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

UltimApe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2005, 5:52 pm

Fcc's guidelines of what is inapropriate for tv is inentinoally vauge so that they can get money if anyone happend to be offended.

if 1 out of 1billon people is offened by a remark made on tv, the fcc is allowed to charge fines toward the offending party on behalf of the individual.

its just a big money scheme now.

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2005, 3:04 pm

alex wrote:
WrongPlanet.net is a family friendly community designed to be appropriate for all ages. We respectfully require that no swearing is used in posts, no violent or sexual imagery is used, and that posters be aware of our many younger members.To ensure a positive environment, no personal attacks are to be made against other members. If attacks are made, we will be required to remove the offensive content. Also, we believe in freedom of speech, but because of online child protection legislation, we will sometimes be forced to remove content that is innapropriate for children. Also, we will remove illegal content such as serial codes, and copyrighted content (only content that is not covered by fair use guidelines, however). Thank you for using WrongPlanet.net.

With recent topics of discussion, I'm beginning to think that WP is directed towards adults. I do not understand most of the issues discussed, and I was "sheltered" from bad words and grown-up issues until I joined. I myself am one of WrongPlanets youngest active members, and I feel out of place here. Even though there is a children's forum here, no one has posted in the Kids' Crater in over a month. This is because children are few and far between on this site. I am feeling uncomfortable with my naîveté, and I am just at a different stage of knowledge than most of the members of this site. I think I am just too young. For this reason, I am thinking about leaving WrongPlanet until I become more adultlike :(

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2005, 4:05 pm

Chris no-one wants you to leave- I just think that message boards in general are aimed at older people so there is bound to be a greater proportion of adults (or older teenagers). This might be partly because there are less children/younger teenagers with unsupervised internet access.

The only way that the kids crater is going to get busier is if those younger members post more often. I hope that you decide to stay as your posts always make me smile. However you if you feel uncomfortable with a lot of the issues being discussed on here then we will respect your decision.

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2005, 4:10 pm

You should not feel too out of place Chris, as many of us, even if older, seem to have childish minds.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Mar 2005, 5:22 pm

If something inapropriate is discussed in the chatroom, please notify me via email. [email protected]

Also, if something that makes you feel uncomfortable is posted in any area other than the mature forum, please notify me via email. [email protected]

You should feel safe. I think we just need more younger members. We used to have a lot more. I know that there are lots of younger members who have joined in the past.

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2005, 10:54 pm

yeah, but if they joined in the past as a younger member, they could have aged by now above that mark.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2005, 6:31 am

Chris wrote:
With recent topics of discussion, I'm beginning to think that WP is directed towards adults.
I don't think it's particularly directed at all. The conversations just go where we take them.
Chris wrote:
I do not understand most of the issues discussed, and I was "sheltered" from bad words and grown-up issues until I joined.
I'm always a little saddened to hear about people who have been sheltered. Parents have good intentions, but I think they forget that the real world is ultimately inescapable. Kids who are "street smart" will prosper. Those who have had no exposure to unsavory situations will end up being victims of their own naivete.
Chris wrote:
I myself am one of WrongPlanets youngest active members, and I feel out of place here. [...] I am thinking about leaving WrongPlanet until I become more adultlike :(
It saddens me to read this. I always look forward to seeing your posts.

If there are things that you want to talk about you don't *have* to limit yourself to the kid's forum. We were all kids at one time or another (and some of us are still kids on the inside) and may be able to help even though we don't generally read the kid's forum. Go ahead and start a conversation in the general forum. You have nothing to lose.