Page 8 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

hairmonster85
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Dec 2008, 6:43 am

we don't want to come across as aspie supremacist, as any form of supremacism is tantamount to fascism. an aspie magazine should be a voice for the autistic community

the first step should be some sort of meeting, either online or in person

at this meeting, we could discuss content, design, marketing, selling, production and editorial stance

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:47 am

garyww wrote:
I have always been what many call a militant Aspie but I learned long ago that you have to have ammunition to fight a war. ...

I know you're probably not on at the moment, but what is a "militant Aspie"? I'm still trying to understand the accusations that are flying around about that. Would the magazine be subversive?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 11:30 am

Tails wrote:
So we have an interest in creating this publication. But interest isn't enough. What is the first physical step?

We have a disagreement on content, and the editorial view, then most run off and hide having taken positions they cannot defend.

A "Militant Aspie", is in the DSM under ODD. When told what to do, they do as they please, and ignore the person or group who has self elected to tell other people what they have to do, with their time, labor, resources.

Being an "Autist Rampent", Their Coat of Arms has a mythological Maze, with one entry, and no exit. Below that is the motto, "Enlightened Self Interest"

They have a sense of owning themselves. As such they are subversive, Aut Supremacist, and Fascist.

"Freedom of the press applies to those who own one." Thomas Jefferson

The right to change public opinion is purely subversive of the current situation.

Freedom from involantary servitude, holding the freedom of the person to be the supreme goal, is Aut Supremacism.

Freedom of ownership, the right for a person to do as they will with their property, and that no other person or group has any right to the property, labor, income, is Fascism.

Publishing is a Capitalist Business. It is very close to the views of Darwin, but on fast forward, the first rule is survive.

Capital, labor, thought, can produce a product, the question is, will it sell, does it meet a need?

Nothing else counts, without a market for the product, everything will be lost.

First define the customer, and the price point, then figure out how to deliver to meet market demand, and make a profit.

Welcome to Economic Darwinism.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 11:39 am

Inventor wrote:
...A "Militant Aspie", is in the DSM under ODD. When told what to do, they do as they please, and ignore the person or group who has self elected to tell other people what they have to do, with their time, labor, resources.

Being an "Autist Rampent", Their Coat of Arms has a mythological Maze, with one entry, and no exit. Below that is the motto, "Enlightened Self Interest"

They have a sense of owning themselves. As such they are subversive, Aut Supremacist, and Fascist.

"Freedom of the press applies to those who own one." Thomas Jefferson

The right to change public opinion is purely subversive of the current situation...

Oh, well that's me. Only I think I'm too pseudo-ODD for any group to want me, even a militant or subversive one.

I believe in conscientious speech (would die for it), but am the person who would rush in to prop up the government should it teeter. IMO the government is as good of an agent of anarchy as any other force in society. If you try to overthrow the government, then you just have the hassle of trying to build a new one.

I'm extremely defiant in my speech, but would support & defend the constitution & the government. So I fit in nowhere, not even with militants, probably.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2008, 2:23 pm

Inventor wrote:
Tails wrote:
So we have an interest in creating this publication. But interest isn't enough. What is the first physical step?

We have a disagreement on content, and the editorial view, then most run off and hide having taken positions they cannot defend.

Haha, are we Aspies perhaps too much of a solitary species to come together to work jointly on a project?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 10:14 am

"Be true to yourself, and you will be false to no man,"

We are different, each a culture of one, and not subject to change, but we do mesh well at the edges.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:17 am

I'd agree with this for, Aspies themselves are better giving words and voice about our lives and what were actually like without all the bias and negative perspectives that sometimes the general media tends to shove down the Autistic throat per se.
Actually, I've seen some magazines out on the market like, Spectrum and another title which, I can't remember but, the opinions and most of the news printed in both tend to be towards trying to help make someone so-called normal which, I'm not fond of.Anyways, i hope your able to make great strides in this area nonetheless... :)

hairmonster85

21 Dec 2008, 6:16 pm

the groupwork thing would be a huge obstacle, but we could get round it. i reckon that a horizontally-organised newsroom would work, with no leadership or potential for conflict. we tend to be naturally anti-authoritarian, and that style of organisation could help an autistic zine stand out just as much as the zine itself

PastorNate
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2009, 7:51 pm

krex wrote:
A few weeks ago (please see article on "AS And The Relativity Of Time," which will be written when I find the time. ), an idea struck me. I believe it was the "end result" of a year of research and obsession about AS and the AS community. The idea is to create a magazine by and about people on the spectrum. My online research has uncovered one well-kept secret: Aspies want to speak, not be spoken for.

We do have some books written from the perspective of a handful of autistics that are then generalized to be appropriate to understand ALL AS. We have many bloggers and a few online communities where AS people can share their experiences and offer support. But the only magazines I could find about AS were written FOR "professionals, parents, teachers, care workers" and are "curbbie-dominated" and NT-biased. Now, the most logical reason for this lack of a magizine of our own,is that nobody wants or needs one. Well, I do. I have learned to embrace the computer, but I do think that one form of communication does not have to negate the importance of another form. I think there is room for both. Perhaps it is because I wasn't weaned on code, but I still enjoy the tactile sensation of holding written words in my hands and looking at pictures and writing that isn't glowing. As a writer and "artist," I think my creation becomes more "real" if it is tangible and not lost in the millions of bits of info stored online.

Mission statement/goal:

A magazine designed by, written for and about people on the autism spectrum, but not necessarily about AS.

There would be some articles about traits of AS and co-morbid disorders, but this would only be a part of the magizine, as it is only a "part" of who we are as people with atypical neurology. The majority of the magazine would feature arts, crafts, writing, analytical thought, obsessions, and interests of people on the spectrum. I'm thinking...lots of pictures, comics, humour ramblings, short bios, serial stories, highlights of craft projects, feature "obsession" of the month, reviews of scientific articles, movies, books, music and "computer/science/maths/geek of the week." Think of it as "Highlights for Aspies."

OUTSTANDING IDEA!! ! I'm all for it! In 2009, it's time to make dreams into actual realities!

To quote Ty Pennington,....."Let's DO IT!! !"

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2009, 8:25 pm

I read a lot of webzines, and even for a print magazine, a web presence seems like a good first step.

One zine I read regularly I discovered through their website before the launch date. They had developed a masthead and were conducting online polls about what readers wanted to see in the magazine. People found the site because they traded links with sites that had a similar focus. They started selling subscriptions practically from the beginning, or at least when they had only bought a portion of the first issue's content. So they had an idea of what the proper print run would be (although there's always lulu.com for those who fail to plan). It seems like the formula for success these days is to have a print publication with a preview on the website.

PastorNate
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jan 2009, 1:51 pm

eristocrat wrote:
I read a lot of webzines, and even for a print magazine, a web presence seems like a good first step.

One zine I read regularly I discovered through their website before the launch date. They had developed a masthead and were conducting online polls about what readers wanted to see in the magazine. People found the site because they traded links with sites that had a similar focus. They started selling subscriptions practically from the beginning, or at least when they had only bought a portion of the first issue's content. So they had an idea of what the proper print run would be (although there's always lulu.com for those who fail to plan). It seems like the formula for success these days is to have a print publication with a preview on the website.

Eristocrat: You make a really good point. Since we live in such a technologically driven world, creating a webzine might just be the way to go. I think that a webzine would reach more people in a shorter amount of time (thus giving the webzine a committed subscription readership right off the bat,) and it would also save a great deal of time, energy, effort and finances, as print copies are so incredibly time and energy consuming, not to mention incredibly expensive in terms of printing and distribution costs, and to boot, it's environmentally friendly!

hairmonster85

12 Jan 2009, 7:13 pm

I think Lulu.com is the best option for a zine, although you'd have to have a PayPal account, and I don't trust PayPal because of its openness to fraud.

Garrett
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2012, 6:18 pm

Hi, I saw this forum post while I was doing a web search for Autism. I have a new blog about Autism with the sole purpose of letting people with Aspergers voice their opinions and thoughts. You can check it out at http://aspergermag.com/