Hans Asperger Initially Called AS *Little Professors*

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 1:44 pm

I guess his university didn't think it was dramatic enough or maybe it took away from *their* importance as scholars, at any rate - y'all were Little Professors before you became someone with a *syndrome*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Asperger

30 Sep 2007, 1:49 pm

I was never a little professor. I was slow.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 1:51 pm

I was. And actually the times I sub and the teacher hasn't left any lesson plans because she/he wasn't planning on being out, I teach the kids about my special interests :D

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 1:56 pm

I was, until the constant humiliation I faced from my peers forced me to dumb it down for them, to appear to fit in more.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 2:37 pm

siuan wrote:
I was, until the constant humiliation I faced from my peers forced me to dumb it down for them, to appear to fit in more.

:cry:

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 2:43 pm

According to Tony Atwood, female aspies tend more to be little Philosophers. But I think equally, they can be little professors.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 2:57 pm

i always considered myself to be a little professor. i always tend to research. of course with all the crap i got from negative people, it's been hard until up to now where I dont have to worry about school or work anymore. ;0).

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 3:29 pm

siuan wrote:

SAME HERE! Still, from time to time, it REALLY shows at my job which was an interest of mine. People ask what college I went to, what I studied, where I learned whatever, etc... I learned it while I was in highschool, or earlier, BEFORE the colleges taught it, BEFORE the IBM PC, etc.... I don't dare tell them the truth though! I told one person half the truth(the possibly somewhat believable part), and she laughed for what seemed like 1/2 an hour(The IDEA that I would just fall into a highpaying job, probably getting 5 times what SHE gets, etc...) until I said a truth that seemed to apply, but didn't. I had to shut her up SOMEHOW! The fact is that I am getting paid very well for skills I had, and mostly things I learned, before I was 18! In fact, I started doing it professionally when I was about 17.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 3:31 pm

Aged seven I was bringing home science books from the adult section of the library. Whilst the others were reading Tin Tin I was well into basic electronics and I already had my first radio built.

Ed Almos

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 3:46 pm

I guess I was kind of a "little professor." I was interested in learning about facts about things and I liked reading encyclopedias and question and answer books. I still do to a certain extent.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 3:57 pm

Big time! In preschool, the teacher gave me the nickname "professor", since I often talked to her about science stuff. Over time, as my obsessions changed, I picked up tremendous amounts of knowledge. As luck would have it, I was tormented mercilessly for my smartness (among other AS traits). But now, at adulthood, being a walking encyclopedia feels like a good thing. Many of my friends and relatives come to me when they need a technical or scientific question.

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2007, 3:57 pm

My first schoolteacher told my mum that I would grow up to be either a mad scientist or an eccentric professor. She was a very perceptive woman to pick up on my aspie-ness at an early age! :lol:

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 7:38 pm

I was a little professor. I had a good vocabulary and a good retention of factual material. I tended to be shy and aloof, however, which hampered me.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 7:39 pm

He did think many of us were little professors. But then, he only diagnosed 3 girls in ALL his years and basically believed it rarely occurred in women. He thought we were a personality disorder though from the very beginning, hence the term "psychopathy". "Syndrome" wasn't a term commonly used in the Vienna, Austria, of his day. Many times it was "psychosis" versus "psychopathy", and he didn't think we were suffering from a psychotic process (as Kanner thought of his patients).

Asperger also believed in the high heritability of Autistic Psychopathy.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2007, 9:22 pm

Neurology is a very new field, so it's no surprise that Asperger had to find another category to place this condition. Even if his conclusions are dated and his overall data from his studies limited, his observations are still of considerable merit.

I was hyperlexic and precocious, so yes, I was a "little professor." I have never been "slow" about anything except social development. I guess because I'm female, my early intellectual abilities weren't recognized as precociousness - I was routinely criticized for not being social enough, constantly compared to my female peers. I in turn develop a great contempt for those female peers, most of whom I thought were dumb and I had no desire to modeel myself after them. I was regularly drawn to older boys or adults for companionship, which was frequently discouraged by various people. That I could read several levels past my grade level, could speed read faster than anyone in my class, could learn most everything by one or two attempts and was a walking encyclopedia of zoology was of no consequence to the adults around me - all they cared about was whether I acted "girlish" enough.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 9:36 pm

Even though I was a horrible student, I was a "little professor".
I was always parroting stuff I learned in books and from PBS documentaries.
For a while I carried a Roget's Theasaurus with me everywhere I went...stuff like that...
As I have said before...I found it impossible to learn in school due to a constant state of sensory overload...but I relished in learning outside of school...if I didn't, then I wouldn't have learned anything at all.