Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2007, 1:58 am

This is a disorder I find fascinating. It's where people effected associate 2 different senses such as when they hear a certain form of music they see a certain color and in a certain form. There are many different types of synesthesia. I personally do not have it unless I am tripping. Does anybody here have it and want to share anything about it?

My favorite notable cases are Justin Chancellor, bass player of Tool, and Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin. But some other extremely well known cases are Duke Ellington, John Mayer, and Nikola Tesla.

I'm having problems embedding videos, so here are some URL addresses with some for some more information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veoN1mh7RME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvwTSEwVBfc

wishes11
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2007, 6:02 am

Hi Hydro, i just had to register just to reply to your topic...i am mother of diagnosed aspie with possible aspergic husband! I have another son who is not AS.

Had been married for years when we realised my husband has synesthesia. When we realised it is genetic, we assumed our AS son had it also, but were amazed that it was actually our other son.

My husband sees colours when he looks at words, hears words, hears music and smells also produce a colour for him. For my son it is the same, but my son also sees colours on peoples heads, but experts have told us they are not sure if this is syn.

Prof Baron-Cohen, a leading writer on AS is also interested in syn, and whether it has a connection to Autism. n We met a man this year, through a television documentary that my son will appear on, called James Wannerton. You can google him in association with Synesthesia. His version of syn affects him in that he "tastes" words...words bring up tastes in his mouth.

I find the whole thing fascinating, and wonder if I am missing out!!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 8:15 am

have a 'non classic' NT sister with Synesthesia,she only found out she had it last year,she said she thought that everyone saw like that and that she sees numbers as colours,not sure if she has any other affects from it.

is it more common in people with asd,and/or in families that have some asd relatives?
have been wondering whether that might be the reason why she has it,as am and a cousin are both kanners type,dad and his brother are both aspergan type,she also is not a classic NT either.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 8:25 am

I seem to go through synaesthesic phases - so I kind of have it on and off - but I guess that doesn't really count.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 9:48 am

On a mailing list for synaesthetes ages ago, I remember some discussion about autistic people sometimes having more perceptual synaesthesia than others at different times, and this having to do with overload. Also, some kinds of seizures can produce it, and some drugs can either reduce, create, or change it. None of those are considered classic synaesthesia, but then the guy who came up with the criteria for synaesthesia was studying people outside of those situations.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 2:00 pm

I had synathesia big time when I was a small child and I have diagnosed AS. I invented "The System" when I was 5 which got me in lots of hot water in kindergarten. The System denoted that every letter had a specific color and certain letters must ALWAYS be capital while others must always be lowercase or else they had less power. Because of The System my teacher told my parents I was dyslexic. Aspergers wasn't a diagnosis back then.

I still see colors around people and colors come out of their mouth. Foods sometimes have shapes. Broccoli is a pointed triangular shape that pokes you in the tongue and hurts. Mustard is oval and therefore must not be consumed. Circles and squares are ok to eat. I can't explain this; its just how it is. I am very hypersensitive to everything and seem to sense things in multiple ways at a time.

It's really hard to defend yourself not liking someone because red always comes out of their mouth. Type A personalities usually have red coming out. Also music comes in colors which I think is why I had such difficulty understanding music theory despite the many years of instruction. It's hard to comprehend notes when you got colors bouncing out at you. I learned in kindergarten to keep my mouth shut about such things, so that's all you will hear from me on the subject.

ruudvandrago
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2007, 3:55 pm

I didn't realized that I have Synasthesia a lot of time in past, but when I heard about it I began to feel that I understand some things using imagination of some form or color of that things. By this way I can understand and differ music songs. If music do not cause any color or form it is hard for me to remember and like that song

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2007, 5:00 pm

This is all very interesting. I always knew people on the spectrum were more susceptible to other a-neurotypical conditions. I wonder if the sensitive touch makes us more susceptible to synesthesia in general.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 6:41 pm

I can see numbers,days,months and countries in colour.In some cases I've
come to conclusions about why certain colours fit,e.g. I see 2 as white because
it reminds me of a swan.On the other hand I've no idea why I see Russia as
green ! (logically it should be red). Occasionally I try to persuade my mind
to vary the colours,wondering if this will cause a shift in the cosmos,but
they always seem to revert to the 'default' colours again !

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 6:46 pm

Synethesia sounds like a very interesting disorder to have or to research on.
Are most Aspies synethesics?

wishes11
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2007, 4:21 am

Anyone read Daniels Tammet's book.."Born on a blue day"? It's about a man with Aspergers but is also an autistic savant, and the reason he called his book this is because he is a synesthete, he sees colours etc. He can calculate pi to 22,000 places!! !! !! !

Not read it myself but am thinking of buying it for my husband and son.

ArcAngel06
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2007, 6:07 am

I have pronounced synesthesia.
Mine is linked to sound but not all sounds but to tinkering ones like piano/windchimes etc and extended vocal notes.
For example I am a big Jeff Buckley fan and sometimes when he sings i see spectrum of colours swirling through my mind touching me , I dont feel the warm/cool colour association thing though but more the linking of colour with emotion and light for example white always seems to go with awe etc
I paint and people always remark on my use of colour and I think it is somewhat related to how I experience stimuli

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 6:33 am

I have listened to extracts from Born on a Blue Day that were broadcast on BBC Radio 4 some time ago. It was quite interesting, though not enough to make me want to go out and buy the book.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 7:33 am

I might have a little. I strongly associate Saturday with the color brown for some reason.

I also classify a lot of things as either warm or cold. I think of 3,5 and 6 as being "warm" numbers while 7,8, and 9 are "cold" numbers (the rest are just neutral I guess). Also the past is warm and the future is cold. Maybe the warm and cold thing isn't true synesthesia because I don't actually feel warm or cold when I see things. I just unconsciously file them that way in my head. It's kind of like how the Spanish language classifies things as masculine or feminine.

I also have a strong emotional response to smells. One in particular is the smell of chlorine triggers fear. Other times I smell something and it triggers a strong deja vu experience. It's weird. Does this have anything to do with synesthesia?

wishes11
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2007, 8:12 am

ArcAngel...wow wish I could experience this swirling of colours. There are many different types of synesthesia, it literally means "mixing of the senses". My husband has fireworks of gold going off in his head at certain times, which I can't mention because of not sure of agegroup reading this!! ! It must heighten certain pleasures even more.

ArcAngel06
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2007, 9:25 am

:wink: