What types of stims do you folks use?

Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 6:16 am

I only realized yesterday that I use walking as a stim. It was not obvious to me before because I didn't realize I'm on the spectrum until a few short months ago. In addition to that my habit is made harder to spot by the fact that I do not use aimless walking in circles as a stim but that I almost always walk from a place to another place on a route that actually makes sense. I used to think that I did it simply because i neede the exercise or because I don't like to use public tranportation when it is really full and prefer to walk instead, but some days my walking habit is somewhat ecxessive. Just yesterday I covered about 4km of a route that closely follows the course of a tram line. While I was doing so I realized that I was very calm despite my walking to my sister's flat where I was going to tell her about my AS; a converstaion I had been pretty worried about earlier in the day. Thinking about how strange it was to become calmer the closer the conversation came made me realize that it was my walking that made me feel at ease...

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2010, 6:59 am

I mostly play with objects on the desk such as pens, the texture of the side of the desk, mouse clicking, tapping feet when listening to music, whatever's around. I've tried to stop myself from doing this as I think others have noticed in the past.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2010, 7:10 am

My favourites have always been hand flapping, high-pitched noises (using in some form of rhyme) and clasping my thumbs in my fists.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Nov 2010, 12:17 pm

I never put 2 + 2 together about this until now, but I pick at the skin around my fingernails when I'm not actively engaged in doing something which keeps hands & mind busy. I can't help it, or at least unless I put gloves on. I'll find a place where there is an edge, and gently pick it with my adjacent fingernail until it comes a little up like a burst blister, then I'll have to go snip it or I'll keep doing it 'til it bleeds. And I hate that, and it's embarrassing. Other than that, which I've done since at last age 5 and maybe earlier, I don't do anything repetitiously that I can think of. But I guess the finger habit is plenty.

Charles

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2014, 10:57 am

Winking
Closing one eye while staring at a light
playing with my ear
tapping my tooth with my finger
running my fingers through my hair
mocking drum playing
mocking piano playing
snapping fingers
rocking back and forth
tapping foot
palilalia
making a quiet sound, like talking, but it's not words, just a random vowel syllable
whispering loudly to self
tapping a surface in a particular rhythm each time
pressing down on my eyes and head

AQ: 46

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Oct 2014, 11:09 am

1. Hooking my thumbs around the lower halves of my fingers while moving between them.
2. Tapping the tips of my right hand fingers into the palm of my left hand
3. Rotating objects in my hands and tossing them back and forth.
4. Raising my heels up and down while standing.
5. Shifting center of gravity between left and right legs while standing.
6. Pacing

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2014, 11:18 am

Had a lot when I was younger. Now it's mostly just rocking, swaying, pen twirling, pacing and rubbing hands together. If I become really stressed/anxious I'll pinch myself as hard as possible (as many times as necessary), it seems to have a calming effect, but leaves some nasty bruises.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm

Flapping and squealing is my main stim. Another stim I do when I'm standing is wringing around my writsts/arms. Sometimes, I do rock myself, but I don't do it often. Most of this is done it home, depending on how my emotions are affecting me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm

Mainly pacing.
Does walking for several hours in the street while ignoring/absorbing/practicing my sensory filters counts?

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2014, 10:56 pm

Finger nail biting/finger or lip skin picking (my hands look horrible)
Bouncing
Hand/arm flapping
Foot tapping/bouncing
Tickling
Playing with play doh/slinkie
Moving the side of my foot against something
Head banging/hitting (but only in a meltdown)
Tapping things that have good noises
Pacing
Rocking back and forth/side-to-side
Singing
Twirling things
Moving my finger nails against my hands or lips
Sniffing
Repeating good feeling words/phrases (my favourite right now is Das is Gut)