Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 3:34 pm

I had just read somewhere that aspies often don't feel things such as jealousy as they aren't into the whole competing for status thing etc.
But anyway, glad I am not the only one... I think it must be one of the most destructive emotions to have.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 3:43 pm

EWWwwwwW!! ! What the HECK was that??? And what on earth is it doing in here?????????

starlighter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2007, 3:51 pm

LabPet wrote:
I do not feel jealousy. I know of this emotion only vicariously because I've read about it and listen to "Phantom of the Opera" for instance. I cannot recognize in others either. I have rudimentary emotions but I do FEEL! This implies there's a difference between emotion and feeling. I am very sensitive and feel hurt, but not the emotion - it's just not there.

BTW, starlighter, I love your avatar. You'll notice I'm an Alaskan. Is that your sled dog? :heart:

I did notice you were alaskan before. You know you live in a beautiful country, don't you ? :heart:

Yes, although I don't have this dog that's the kind of dog I would actually liked to be if I was not human :lol: , running wild for the alaskan country as relates Jack London in his novels :)

BTW, you have a very 'unique' avatar, expressive and personal, also :wink:

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 5:31 pm

I can maybe think of maybe once or twice in my entire life of getting jealous, its weird.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 5:37 pm

I have experienced envy and jealousy.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 5:42 pm

I had an argument that jealously can mean this. I was told that envy is the only word that can be used in the context where you are not talking about being jealous about somebody’s affection for someone else.

This may have been the case originally but nowadays according to the OED jealous can mean envious, because enough people use it that way.

Anyway I have rarely got jealous I'm too full of myself, I'm more frustrated at my own sort comings rather than begrudging other peoples lives. I do begrudge unfairness. But wanting to be like them would make me a hypocrite. However being inspirational in an unoriginal manner isn't the same as being jealous<- that is not weighted because of envy :D

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 5:51 pm

I think compared to resentment, jealously and envy aren't really proper emotions :D

StonedRoach
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2007, 5:59 pm

I've had plenty of times where I've gotten jealous.

ArcAngel06
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2007, 9:14 pm

Tricky one, I find I am competitive and feel threatened easily but I disassociate both of these qualities with jealousy.
For example my ex husband is now with another woman- the moment he formed a relationship with her the bond between us was broken - I feel no jealousy toward her because I would not want to be in love with someone who didnt love me back in the same way.
I think my need for logic overides the emotion of jealousy within me

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 10:25 pm

Once, when I felt said emotion for the first time; I got "over it" and now I rarely feel it, i.e., fleeting and it has no say other than a meaningless whisper.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2007, 1:03 am

I don't feel the need to compete in social enviroments. If I am involved with someone however, if they flaunt certain things in front of my face and make it very apparent, I get jealous.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:35 pm

I get jealous all the time. I'm terrible. :roll: I don't know if it's due to my Aspergers or not.

I've always been jealous of my cousins, because they are all NTs and so find it easier to make friends than I do. I got in a jealous rage the other day because I heard one of my cousins (who was always so shy and quiet and hated social situations) is suddenly starting to stay out late with mates on Friday nights, and I know he'll be the next one to start going out partying and meeting girls he likes, then in a couple of years to come he'll be having sex - then I will be the only virgin left in the family. :oops:

I won't get jealous in a relationship (if a miracle happens and I do manage to marry a handsome man). It's not that sort of jealousy I have in me. I just seem to get jealous of what all my cousins are doing, because I want to be NT like them, then the family will be complete of NTs.

Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:56 pm

I have experienced jealousy, but it is incredibly rare. I suspect this is because I am not competitive by nature, and am not terribly emotionally connected to other people; the things they have, say, or do seem very separate from me. Still, I have felt jealous on a few occasions over the years and found it to be a very ugly emotion. I am generally quite rationally-oriented and jealousy tends to conflict with this, which can be quite difficult. Although the same rationality does help to overcome it, I think.

As for what has caused me to feel jealous, I can only think of two things: Affections which were felt not for me, and the good health of others.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:59 pm

I am easily prone to jealousy. Usually it's directed at anyone who is more talented than I am or a woman who is better-looking than me.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:45 pm

I am and have always been very jealous - I am improving with age though.
Never heard that not being jealous was an ASD-related trait. Coudl it be actually the other way round? I have always thought that my own jealousy wasn't what 'normal' people experience or at least that the intensity was inappropriate.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:49 pm

A big fat myth.