Anyone here providing support for other Aspies??

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 7:22 pm

I had a neat idea... so many of us complain about Psychiatrists who don't believe AS even really exists (unless you're as obvious as Rain Man)...
...so, how about some of us become AS support workers, or psychiatrists, etc?

...problem with psychiatry may be listening to other people's problems if we're not interested. ;)

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 7:37 pm

Mm, yeah. I went to college for psychology, worked as a counselor, decided I wasn't really interested in hearing people's problems if I couldn't fix it in a tangible sense. Realized I should have gone into the medical field in the first place like I wanted to. So now I'm going to school for that. At least I can see results. While results may be achieved with head problems, I can't gauge it. Self-reporting is biased.

Now, I'm married to an aspie and I suspect my children are little aspies too. I care. I help. Does that count? :lol:

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 8:00 pm

yeah...I am trained in Social Work. I was counselling (more crisis/informal/walk in/referrals than anything else), but the $ in not for profits soon fade.

I would love to be doing this again, but I know that it'll never happen. I have since fallen into doing administration at a Community Health Centre and am planning (January intake) to take a certificate program (must have a prerequisite of social work or similar) for Autism & Behavioural Science (part time), while I continue to work.

I would like to eventually farm myself out to work with children with ASD's, perhaps doing social skills programming or IBI/ABA etc. Not entirely sure at the moment, but the program I plan to take has field placement opportunities, which is helpful.

and if all else fails, well, at least I will be better educated :)