Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

alliegirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2007, 12:34 pm

My daughter is AS, and I am thinking that maybe my 3 year old niece may have it too. She cannot stand baby dolls or barbies of any kind. If she sees one she will rip its head off. She does like stuffed animals though. Also cannot look at photographs with close up pics of people. She is also is very rough with her baby brother. Very intelligent, and worries about things that a 3 year old should NOT worry about, just like my daughter did at that age. Does this sound like anything you all have felt?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 1:00 pm

I would tell the parents to keep regular checkups with the paediatrician and maybe schedule a visit with a paediatric psychiatrist.

My parents were told when I was 2 that I was too young for any kind of diagnosis. Of course Asperger's wasn't at all well known then. I think it is important to get a diagnosis as a kid because adult diagnosis resources and manpower are severely lacking. It would be useful to get something before schooling at 4 or 5 even it is a preliminary diagnosis with need to review later. It took me 23 years to get a proper diagnosis.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 1:06 pm

The close up thing might be related to direct eye contact. I can't look at certain pictures even some cartoons such as this one:

without feeling some weird sensation in my eyes. I did do exercises and can look people directly in the eyes for many seconds.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 3:22 pm

Don't expect a warm and fuzzy response from her parents.

alliegirl

24 Sep 2007, 5:34 pm

siuan wrote:
Don't expect a warm and fuzzy response from her parents.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I'm waiting this one out to see if I notice other signs first. Mom will not react too well when she finds this out. My daughter who has AS noticed it first. They get along so well. She adores my 17 yr old!! ! They have soo much in common, but live in another state.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 9:59 am

0_equals_true wrote:
The close up thing might be related to direct eye contact. I can't look at certain pictures even some cartoons such as this one:

without feeling some weird sensation in my eyes. I did do exercises and can look people directly in the eyes for many seconds.

Gee, I LIKE blackcats avatar.