What are Aspies most likely to be arrested for?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 12:45 pm

An odd question, and maybe one that's been posed at another time on here - but one of considerable curiosity.
We are a people of paradoxes, after all, which is arguably why people shun us as weird...
But, despite our high moral standards and strong urge to stay out of trouble and follow the rules, I can see some of us succumbing to legal entanglements, particularly during the "volatile" years of 18-25 (for young males more so). I'm glad that I made it past those years relatively unscathed...

These are the four areas where I could see an Aspie getting arrested or charged:
1. Unintended or "innocent" harassment of a female, i.e. filtering out "obvious" rejections and it's not until the crap hits the fan and the local cops or campus cops or what have you get involved and give the Aspie a stern lecture...
2. Aggravated assault beyond self-defense, i.e. snapping on a tormentor and seriously injuring them
3. Being manipulated by a street-wise, sociopathic individual to act as an accessory to one of their heinous acts (e.g. home invasion lookout or something of the sort), while we don't see "the big picture" in our quest to just get some desperately needed "friendship"...
4. Not being aware of one's environment or social norms, e.g. like in that movie "Adam" where Adam hangs out outside a school to meet a teacher after work, and naturally the cops think he's a pedophile

While I can honestly say that I NEVER even thought of engaging in items #3 and 4, let alone acted on them, but for items #1 and 2 - boy did I ever come close 8O in my "volatile" years of around 21 give or take a couple years.
For item #1, I don't care to get into specifics, but it was all based on verbals w/o threats, and overreaction - possibly some vindictiveness. I didn't face consequences other than a stern lecture.
Let's face it, those volatile years for young males are a time of being impetuous and reckless even for those of us on the spectrum. For us, it just happens to create more friction with peers, because of the "unnatural" way in which we express these behaviours.
And let's also face it, that during the "volatile" period, 90% of altercations are based on threats to one's ego or manhood, not on one's physical safety. For us, we likely had to take more than our fair share. But as long as there exists the opportunity to walk away unscathed, you can't claim use of force was justified to a judge. The last thing we need is a felony conviction on our record to further curtail our job prospects 8O especially when you're in a situation where there's no video cameras, only biased witnesses (i.e. the bully ringleader's entourage, who will gladly claim that you threw the first punch when the cops show up) - so if you can get away by all means do so, not much to lose socially anyhow :wink:

Even though during my younger years I worked out regularly and a Bruce Banner-like demeanour, I showed due restraint when it was hard, and just used a gym punching bag after. Therapeutic!! and bonus points if you tape the a-holes photo to the bag and let loose :D

Back to item #1, I think I got off lucky there as cops cannot always be the most objective people - many of them fit the profiles of former bullies themselves back in middle school or high school, and some of them may see folks like us as the "weak", the "losers", the "incels" who need to be taught a lesson. 8O Not all, but I'd say 20-25% of police are like this. Personal prejudice overriding objective duty, as it were.

Thinking in the greater perspective, there is certainly an institutional bias against people like us perceived as "undesirable" - either consciously or unconsciously -which was one more incentive for me to stay out of trouble regardless of what may have been at stake. Even back in the 90s during my volatile years, before my diagnosis, I knew, I sensed that I may be subject to heavy-handed treatment due to my inherent differences, so I didn't rock the boat. It's sort of the same plight that African-Americans have found themselves with.

Thankfully, today in my mid-40s, I have a successful and rewarding career (in software engineering, no less!!) with a great family and plenty of privileges that I wasn't sure I'd ever get at half my age. So, showing that restraint proved to be worth it in the end... :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 12:51 pm

Most likely, Aspies will not be arrested for anything.

Maybe "obstruction of governmental administration?" or "resisting arrest?" (In New York State)--Which can happen when there is a misunderstanding between a cop and an Aspie.

Aspies are not the type to want to break the law, though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 2:58 pm

I think Aspies have a higher chance of getting into trouble for being too obsessed with their special interests, depending on what the person's special interest is. Some Aspies get obsessed with certain people, and can be mistaken for a stalker or some other kind of threat, even though the Aspie is harmless.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 3:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Maybe "obstruction of governmental administration?" or "resisting arrest?" (In New York State)--Which can happen when there is a misunderstanding between a cop and an Aspie.

Because NYC is so populous and so diverse, "it takes all kinds," and an Aspie can go (usually) unmolested. Count your blessings, there are definitely benefits to living within the 5 boroughs.

In more suburban and rural areas, where there are too many cops and not enough crime, Aspies can be quite easily targeted (and possibly arrested) for acting "suspicious." By this, I mean going about our business in peace but seeming a little "off." Yes, NTs often see us as off. NTs in positions of authority and law enforcement equate that with being a "perp" (perpetrator) of something--or planning to perpetrate something-- illegal.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 3:43 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think Aspies have a higher chance of getting into trouble for being too obsessed with their special interests, depending on what the person's special interest is. Some Aspies get obsessed with certain people, and can be mistaken for a stalker or some other kind of threat, even though the Aspie is harmless.
That would be my assumption as well.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:18 pm

Quote:
These are the four areas where I could see an Aspie getting arrested or charged:
1. Unintended or "innocent" harassment of a female, i.e. filtering out "obvious" rejections and it's not until the crap hits the fan and the local cops or campus cops or what have you get involved and give the Aspie a stern lecture...
2. Aggravated assault beyond self-defense, i.e. snapping on a tormentor and seriously injuring them
3. Being manipulated by a street-wise, sociopathic individual to act as an accessory to one of their heinous acts (e.g. home invasion lookout or something of the sort), while we don't see "the big picture" in our quest to just get some desperately needed "friendship"...
4. Not being aware of one's environment or social norms, e.g. like in that movie "Adam" where Adam hangs out outside a school to meet a teacher after work, and naturally the cops think he's a pedophile

I agree with everything here.

Also what Joe90 wrote, I also agree aspies can be arrested for things they do based on special interest, they can end up trespassing, steal things based on their interest, stalk someone unintentionally, be mistaken as a pedophile and predator if their special interest is children and if they lack self awareness and not aware of the social norms, they set themselves up for danger. Like not being aware of how their behavior would be perceived as and it can get them into serious trouble. I would say that is only for those who are severely on the spectrum vs the milder ones who would have that awareness and filter their behavior for it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:52 pm

One of my Aspie friends is playing with fire each time he drives because of excessive alcohol consumption and heavy use of weed. It seems to be the only way for him to cope.

He doesn't mind that he is breaking the law as much as he is anxious about getting caught. He is extremely anxious about confrontation of any nature.
Hard to watch someone you care about self destruct this way.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Feb 2019, 5:30 pm

I would guess the more severely affected might could be arrested for something like Disorderly Conduct due to having sever maybe violent meltdowns. Might yell & curse the wrong person out or throw things or just act & seem very aggressive.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 5:34 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Because NYC is so populous and so diverse, "it takes all kinds," and an Aspie can go (usually) unmolested. Count your blessings, there are definitely benefits to living within the 5 boroughs.

In more suburban and rural areas, where there are too many cops and not enough crime, Aspies can be quite easily targeted (and possibly arrested) for acting "suspicious." By this, I mean going about our business in peace but seeming a little "off." Yes, NTs often see us as off. NTs in positions of authority and law enforcement equate that with being a "perp" (perpetrator) of something--or planning to perpetrate something-- illegal.

Yeah, true that.
The situation gets exacerbated when you're dealing with pathological personalities (i.e. narcissists, psychopaths) who are more highly represented in positions of authority or such, who can sniff our "off-ness" out the way a shark senses blood in the water from miles away 8O

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:09 pm

Not making eye contact and other nontypical nonverbal body language. That would not be the official charge but that would be the reason.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:17 pm

Please don't let this "potential" deter anybody from going outside.

Please don't let this "potential" keep you in the house.

I don't believe police target "Aspies" or "autistic people" in particular.

Just take precautions. Especially, don't go into playgrounds alone when there are kids.

I'm no pervert. I have no "attraction" to kids. I just like watching kids play. But I don't go look into playgrounds any more.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:27 pm

Quote:
SaveFerris recognises his demeanour may make him appear more assertive and aggressive so his intentions may be misconstrued by others putting him at risk of altercation and potentially interaction with the criminal justice system.

Protective factors are his awareness of this issue and also his relative social isolation.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:29 pm

"Ferris is just a bad mother........" said the admirers.

"Hush your mouth!" said the women.

(paraphrasing "Theme from Shaft")

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:00 pm

False accusations

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:02 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:03 pm

Teach51 wrote:
One of my Aspie friends is playing with fire each time he drives because of excessive alcohol consumption and heavy use of weed. It seems to be the only way for him to cope.

He doesn't mind that he is breaking the law as much as he is anxious about getting caught. He is extremely anxious about confrontation of any nature.
Hard to watch someone you care about self destruct this way.

Tell him he cd easily destroy innocent ppl’s lives either monetarily (eg they r so injured they cannot work n their insurance compaby tries to cheat them n they enter a legal battle as happened to my son’s finest nurse Irene)

Or health-wise (also happened to my son’s best nurse Irene as it caused her fibromyalgia)

Or someobe innocent (eg child) cd die or be severely injured
As a result of his ...coping mechanism.