what is difference between autism and aspie?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2007, 4:52 am

What are the differences between the two? Can you spot someone who is autistic over someone who is aspie? If so how?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 5:30 am

70% of those with autistic disorder have cognitive impairment ("mental retardation"; a subnormal IQ as a child). Other than that, there's not that much of a difference.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 6:58 am

Daniel IS mostly right, of course, but aspies are supposed to be more verbal for the most part, have interests, and no significant cognitive deficit besides social. And they are supposed to have self help skills. You CAN have a significant cognitive deficits without being MR, and you can be a veritable genius and not have self help skills. Don't ask me how, it just IS. Of course, it depends who you ask, etc... Some auties don't have those deficits and are still considered auties.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 7:04 am

Danielismyname wrote:
70% of those with autistic disorder have cognitive impairment ("mental retardation"; a subnormal IQ as a child). Other than that, there's not that much of a difference.

Daniel that is a very out of date statistic, many professionals won't even acknowledge that as the case anymore as it's not. They now are acknowledging the reason for that statistic is that autistics have a hard time when being tested IQ due to issues with verbal IQ and all.

The main difference between Asperger's Syndrome and Autism is in that Autism there is often speech delays, in Asperger's, the child has normal speech development and at times early speech development.

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 7:27 am

I think AS is a lot higher functioning- IMO, it's barely a disability

My friend has autism and he's way different functioning wise- he can't drive, he talks slow, people pick on him and he's unaware of people picking on him. He'll probably never be employed or live independently, and he's always been needing someone to follow him around as a helper.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 7:41 am

Mine comes from an article dated 2006 (it's actually 75%); another article states the aforementioned 70% (2003).

The IQ test I took when little didn't involve verbal skills [that I can recall]; only square blocks in square holes [and similar mechanical tests], my verbal difficulties led me to said IQ test.

The thing is, Attwood and his crew see [from tests] that those with Asperger's can have verbal impairment too (that's what they told me last week).

MarieElana,

That sounds like me; there's those with Asperger's who're the same (apart from the slow talking, that sounds like the perfect Asperger's stereotype); Asperger's can be just as disabling as those with autism who have a normal IQ.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 9:47 am

Autism is a spectrum, and AS is the mildest point on that spectrum. Some of us, like me, are borderline AS/NT.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 9:55 am

MarieElana wrote:
My friend has autism and he's way different functioning wise- he can't drive, he talks slow, people pick on him and he's unaware of people picking on him. He'll probably never be employed or live independently, and he's always been needing someone to follow him around as a helper.

that doesn't automatically make someone an autie,as aspergers also differs a lot in severity.
one of the people am live with is an aspie who has exactly those traits,has very bad communication skills, as he can't speak unless someone asks him a question,he's not on one to one support although does have to have someone with him,he was diagnosed with severe aspergers,he does not have a lot of the sensory problems aspies on here have at least.

a lot of people with aspergers have splintered functioning/ability,they can be low or medium functioning in some ability,and high functioning in other.

starlighter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2007, 10:09 am

I have another opinion, also. In my humble opinion, asperger is not always the mildest form of autism or the highest functioning.

High-functioning autists are also high functioning and is not always accompanied by speech delay. So, I think there isn't any real advantage being asperger over autistic as I see in some persons's daily-life. I think, one of the main differences between both of them is that austistic keep their feelings more 'inside' them and at the same time are more 'functionalist' and methodic people. And asperger's usually are more 'talk-active' ( although with boring or obsessive themes speech, lol! ) than functionalist .

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 10:23 am

starlighter wrote:
I have another opinion, also. In my humble opinion, asperger is not always the mildest form of autism or the highest functioning.

High-functioning autists are also high functioning and is not always accompanied by speech delay. So, I think there isn't any real advantage being asperger over autistic as I see in some persons's daily-life. I think, one of the main differences between both of them is that austistic keep their feelings more 'inside' them and at the same time are more 'functionalist' and methodic people. And asperger's usually are more 'talk-active' ( although with boring or obsessive themes speech, lol! ) than functionalist .

am agree,it has long been called mild,due to comparissons with the old,stereotypical kanners autism [lf with mr],it will seem mild if comparing it to lf kanners,but that doesn't mean AS,on it's own is mild,at least it is not for all aspies/aspergans.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 12:27 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
The thing is, Attwood and his crew see [from tests] that those with Asperger's can have verbal impairment too (that's what they told me last week).

'tis true. My son completely stopped trying to talk around 3 years old, and didn't start back up until around 4. He still doesn't speak clearly and he's 6, but he is being assessed for Asperger's rather than autism. I did the same thing when younger, but the docs seem annoyed when they say Asperger's and I ask for clarification of the differences between the two, lol.

If self-help of sorts has much to do with it, I always wonder where I lie on the spectrum. I'm able to communicate decently (not with others really, but written I do alright), but to get me to pay a bill on time is like torture for everybody involved. The more I'm reminded the longer it gets let go, and generally it just doesn't happen. Needless to say, things are not put in my name, lol, or sent to my address.

I'm my own guinea pig.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 12:44 pm

I think I've been diagnosed with HFA due to some speech delays at a young age, but other than that, I can pass as a true Aspie. I will talk if I have something to say, I live independently (my parents may help out every once in a while, such as with money and when I'm lonely or need help organizing), but the main problem is social interaction.
I do have a NZ accent, and it does make it difficult to people to understand me no matter what.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 1:15 pm

We can't talk about the difference between Asperger's and autism, because Asperger¡'s is a type of autism, right? maybe the difference between Asperger's and other forms of autism, which would be basically that aspies can blend in more easily.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2007, 2:12 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Autism is a spectrum, and AS is the mildest point on that spectrum. Some of us, like me, are borderline AS/NT.

Tim

What does NT stand for?

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 2:19 pm

NT stands for Neurotypical, meanings somebody whos not on the autism spectrum...

I think one of the big differences between autism and aspergers is also IQ, usually people with Aspergers have a average to above average IQ, and people with Kanners autism usually have a below average to average IQ.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2007, 2:25 pm

Thanks for sharing that.