risperdal I feel so calm now (like normal calm) SO AWESOME!

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

theSPECTRE
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2005, 2:16 am

It feels so good to be able to feel like a normal person. I just Started risperdal the other day and already I see a major improvement I used to be like a time-bomb and depressed all the time (im bipolar too). Now I feel calm and can think rashonal<<(prolly didn't spelll that right). I am also on Lamictal and some others. Eventually we are going to try and get off the other stuff and I would just be on Lamictal and risperdal. So far I would have to say this works..(thank god)

-Tony Mantanna
-Scarface

Say Good Night to the bad guy - Tony Montana
-Scarface

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 2:22 am

I used to be on that drug, but it made it too bloody hard to go to the toilet (peeing wise).

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 2:22 am

Aren't there really nasty side effects to those and don't they inhibit your creativity as well as some other cognitive processes? I have always been under the impression was about the only one that is largely free of those problems.

attention-tunnel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2005, 8:18 am

Sean wrote:
Aren't there really nasty side effects to those and don't they inhibit your creativity as well as some other cognitive processes? I have always been under the impression was about the only one that is largely free of those problems.

"Risperidone for Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome" is the name of an article describing the effects of risperdone for people on the spectrum in detail. It is published online by the non-profit group "Autistic people against neuroleptic abuse", online here: http://www.apana.org.uk/risp.htm

Last edited by attention-tunnel on 30 Jul 2005, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 8:26 am

I was on Risperdal for a few years and I had ALOT of problems from it. I gained weight, had chest pains, lost my creativity, and became lazy and lethargic, among other things. :cry:

Right now I am on Abilify and it works better for me and without as many symptoms.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 8:58 am

Sean wrote:
don't they inhibit your creativity as well as some other cognitive processes?

My docotr seems to think so. He said the decision to take meds is up to me, but warned me that they could "slow me down" considerably.

I am looking into Mecamylamine (synthetic Nicotine), which is supposed to work well for mood stabilization and help control my Tourette's symptoms, which I use Nicotine lozenges for now and they work real well, but cause mouth sores and stomach upset. The Mecamylamine has all of the benefits without the negative side effects of real Nicotine.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 9:50 am

The first day I took Risperdal I couldn't get off my arse and do ANYTHING. All I could do was sit there for the day. I had no motivation in me whatsoever. It still happened to me occasionally some days after that too.

attention-tunnel

30 Jul 2005, 10:03 am

The non-profit group "Autistic people against neuroleptic abuse" is collecting personal experiences of people on the spectrum who took risperidone.

If you like to share your experience, have a look!

http://www.apana.org.uk/risp.htm

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 1:00 pm

My own experiences are already on that page.

Not sure if I made it clear enough in my submission to that page, but I think adults should be free to choose what to put in their body. But I also think people need to be fully informed as to what it is they're considering, and a lot of doctors (particularly those who believe the pharmaceutical reps who are always showing up at their offices) aren't going to fully inform anyone.

And I get worried about the promotion of Risperdal as a miracle drug for autism (again to be clear, not saying anyone in this post is doing that). Worried enough that I don't even name the drug I take for anxiety. Because I know what can happen on the net when you say something like that, which is that a parent can read it and try it on their kid. And I think it's okay for me to choose as an adult, but not okay to be turned into guinea pigs as children. (Which is pretty much what I was -- they just kept throwing more and more drugs at me hoping one of them would work, and in the process nearly killed me a few times.)

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 2:38 pm

If it's helping you function, you feel better, and it's being safely monitored, I'm glad for you. If taking care of yourself means 'slowing yourself down' a bit, then that's what you have to do.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 6:04 pm

I went on that when I was 14, and it made me fat.

Not worth the sacrifice.. it didn't really help either.

attention-tunnel

30 Jul 2005, 6:13 pm

I managed to withdraw from all medicaiton (in my case anti-histamines helped me a lot) thanks to traditional chinese medicine. Herbal medicine and acupuncture come alomost with no side effects, and are not at all adictive. It also teaches you healthy living and nutrition ways.

Here is how it works: http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=428

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 6:17 pm

A warning there: Herbal medication can come with as many side-effects as non-herbal medication, depending on the herbs. Always check drug interactions and side-effect profiles when looking at herbal medications. (I take both herbal and non-herbal because it differs which one is more effective and which has the worse side-effects, depending on what effects I'm going for in the first place. More interested in whether it works than where it came from.) There are plenty of plants that can kill you as well as plenty of more mainstream medications that are relatively safe, it's more a matter of what works for any given person.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 6:54 pm

I assume because theSPECTRE mentioned he has Bipolar that he is on the Risperdal for that and not for some of the other problems associated with ASDs.

I was on Risperdal for about two years on its supposed highest dose: 6mg. However, I never had problems with sedation or lethargy because of it and this was a BIG surprise. I had a Bipolar acquaintance who said he was given 0.5mg of Risperdal when he was in the hospital once and he slept for two days. I guess I have a high tolerance for many meds, especially the side effects of antipsychotics.

I also have a little autty friend (he just turned 4) who's begun on 0.5mg of Risperdal and his aggression has really been tempered by this and his focus is a bit better because of it, too.

theSPECTRE, it's great that it seems to be working for you. How much are you on currently?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

YellowBird
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2005, 7:05 pm

Psychlone wrote:
I was on Risperdal for a few years and I had ALOT of problems from it. I gained weight, had chest pains, lost my creativity, and became lazy and lethargic, among other things. :cry:

Right now I am on Abilify and it works better for me and without as many symptoms.

I was also on Risperdal for less than 6 months and I gained 60 pounds. It was February of 2004 that I noticed the effect it was having on me. I still retain that weight today. I'm now on Abilify.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 7:22 pm

I gained an incredible amount of weight on Zyprexa actually. Didn't have problems with Risperdal so it seems. To each his own reaction.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/