Do you have a high voice or a younger than your age voice?

Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 5:24 pm

i sound like a little kid... especially on tape. one of my classmates recorded my voice for a storyboarding project, and when it was playing, one of my other classmates commented "that woman sounds like a little kid!!" XD i was like "gee, thanks.." lol... but i didn't really take offense, i just thought it was funny. but she didn't know it was my voice, or she probably wouldn't have said anything.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2008, 6:29 pm

My voice sounds much higher and younger in recordings than it does in my head.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 6:43 pm

Speaking in a higher voice for women can often be a defense mechanism.

My speaking voice is average to low, even though I'm a high soprano- I get told I should do NPR a lot.

But my voice is higher when I first answer a telephone, or meet someone new because I am scared and go into "I'm a little girl and non-threatening please don't hurt me or take me seriously!" mode.

I remember hearing somewhere that abuse victims sometimes like to speak in their higher register- using the "baby girl" voice. (Just saying I heard it, and it was interesting to me and made some sense- not making generalizations.)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 6:54 pm

A high voice is a frequently-noted characteristic of people on the spectrum. This has been verified through both subjective (people's perceptions) and objective (acoustic measurements) means.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 6:57 pm

I've always disliked how my voice sounds from the outside. To me it just doesn't sound like "me." It doesn't really sound younger than I am, although it did when I was younger, like in my mid-teens.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 7:01 pm

I don't have a high voice unless I get kicked somewhere vital, I think I sound the same as when I was 16, I do tend to speak softly, and people have a hard time hearing me, so I have to repeat myself all the time

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 7:04 pm

my voice is not really high, its a little low to me... but when i hear it recorded, it sounds kiddish in inflection.

cdc2001c
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 10:24 pm

My voice changes in different situtions. Most of the time people say I sound like Ben Stien, monotone. Other times when I am stressed my voice can become high pitched and I have trouble controlling the volume of my voice.

floaty

10 Apr 2008, 10:41 pm

I do sound very young for my age, yes. :(

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:50 pm

My voice definitely isn't high. As for age, I've never associated it with any sort of age; I don't sound young, but I don't know what "normal" would sound like for how old I am. I suppose "normal" to older though; most people think I'm my mother based on my voice, if that counts for anything.

Three years!

BrutalRhubarb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 11:11 pm

hahaha!! ! seriously?

BrutalRhubarb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 11:16 pm

I've always felt the same way about my voice. It sounds young, immature, soft, nasal, and all that crap I don't feel like thinking about anymore.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2008, 12:49 am

BrutalRhubarb wrote:
I've always felt the same way about my voice. It sounds young, immature, soft, nasal, and all that crap I don't feel like thinking about anymore.

That's kind of how my voice sounds. Not high necessarily, especially with the monotone, but very immature and soft. When I answer the phone to telemarkers, they always asks if my mother or father is available. I'm 25.

I can usually only pick up on the nasal sound when I listen to recordings, the combination of all that makes me sound like a young boy.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 9:30 am

ford_prefects_kid wrote:
Speaking in a higher voice for women can often be a defense mechanism.

My speaking voice is average to low, even though I'm a high soprano- I get told I should do NPR a lot.

But my voice is higher when I first answer a telephone, or meet someone new because I am scared and go into "I'm a little girl and non-threatening please don't hurt me or take me seriously!" mode.

I remember hearing somewhere that abuse victims sometimes like to speak in their higher register- using the "baby girl" voice. (Just saying I heard it, and it was interesting to me and made some sense- not making generalizations.)

I wonder how much men usually pitch shift their voices? I've noticed that I seem to massively vary how high or low my voice is at different times, and I sometimes worry that other people will think that's weird...or maybe it's not as big a difference as I think it is. It's not intentional, but I think I do higher when I'm trying to be real polite, or if I'm sort of in scared mode (but haven't tried to compensate for it by sort of being angry...not explaining this well...)

kuiamalynne

12 Apr 2008, 2:20 pm

I'm often told that my voice sounds "young," and I also hate to hear my voice when it's recorded. I change pitch all over the place, and it sounds much higher than I expect it to. My mother has the same problem, though. When she answers the phone, telemarketers ask to speak to her mother. :)

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 2:39 pm

I always get told I sound younger than my age as well as look younger, naturally as a women I have a high voice but compared to many women, my voice is very girlish then womanly lol.