Page 9 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 11:06 pm

Ticker wrote:
You are right. In the past AS was sink or swim and most people found a way to swim even though they floundered many a time. I floundered many a time. I had the door closed in my face so many times trying to get my first job that it was disheartening. But I kept trying. All you have to do is kept trying and try till it hurts and things will improve.

Look I'm not that high functioning, probably middle spectrum... I have 16 different illnesses. One of the illnesses is an autoimmune disease that usually kills within 10 years. I have had 4 head injuries and struck by lightning twice. As if that wasn't enough someone's service dogs attacked me and I am in my 5th month of physical therapy because of that. I am in constant freakin pain. Some say I have had bad luck and I can't disagree with that because I still wonder what I did to deserve all the illness and injury. But thing is I keep going. You gotta keep going.

Ticker, I must say your stamina is impressive. I have AS and some other minor issues, a bone spur that makes me want to cut my foot off, allergies that make me look like a crying fool at times even out in public (I hate it when that happens) and occasional headaches that makes me want to cut my head off but I still work 2 jobs because I'm determined to keep on going. Like what you said "...thing is I keep going. You gotta keep going." If I had been struck by lightning twice, I think that would do me in to the point of being burnt out with it all..lol.

As for the subject of this thread, I do rely on my parents a lot and live with them but they rely on me for different things too. I just moved in with them a little over a month ago but was on my own before that but it's a long story as to why I moved in. It's kind of stupid though because I'm 43! I am trying to keep as much of my independence as possible though, if I can do that then I may get back out on my again, not sure yet though. That depends on a lot of different things, including how my parents and my sister are doing and how they're doing with her. She doesn't and can't work, no doubt about that.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Oct 2007, 1:18 am

Ticker wrote:
I have 16 different illnesses. One of the illnesses is an autoimmune disease that usually kills within 10 years. I have had 4 head injuries and struck by lightning twice
i highly doubt this, should i act like ticker? i think i should. i think your lying, i wanna see proof of all these conditions you mention. by a medical doctor. in this thread

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2007, 2:03 am

CeriseLy wrote:
But my father and I are Aspie examples of being able to work despite our noise sensitivity.

I could not, no matter what, stay on any job where they have radio's and other noise-polluting in the workspace. I am lucky, constant radio noise-pollution isn't common in ICT, but I doubt a store would turn off their musac for their bagboy, nor would your co-workers on a construction site.

09 Oct 2007, 2:11 am

I was lucky employees at work respected me so they didn't get mad at me when I wasn't folding linen because they were all laughing too loud at the same time. I don't work in noisy sitations because I am mostly by myself and when there are functions, I am only dealing with the crowd and noise for a few seconds as I go through to get to the restrooms to clean. But my sensory issues aren't that severe, only mild, I'd say very mild. Would ear plugs help?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 4:54 am

Regardless of whether it is true or not whether someone can or cannot work, this so-called “tough love” attitude is unhelpful, condescending, and just plain uncalled for. If someone claims that they are trying to motivate someone to change by making hurtful comments they are either dishonest or ignorant/delusional. I usually assume it’s the former (they are not trying to help). In that case if you don’t have anything nice to say then STFU. Seriously!

I never understood the logic if trying to “toughen” someone up by insulting them. I know when I am in a rough spot and someone tells me I’m just “weak” the first thought that comes to my mind is “so what”. What’s the point of pretending to be a “tough guy” while you are struggling? Just so other people won’t label you weak? Life is short. Most people work a crappy job just to have the right to stay alive and then they die. Are people motivated to work just so they will appear tough and won’t get insulted and called lazy by some jerks on the internet? Or is their motivation just to get through the bad stuff and look forward to the things they enjoy?

Unfortunately sometimes there are points in life where things get so hard that it is impossible to find anything to enjoy. When you’re in this place the all the “be tough” advice in the world isn’t going to do sh*t for you. If you have never been in this position you don’t have the right to make judgments. I know that if I never accepted assistance from my parents I wouldn’t have a very good life. In fact I might not even be here today if not for their support.

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 7:58 am

richardbenson wrote:
Ticker wrote:
I have 16 different illnesses. One of the illnesses is an autoimmune disease that usually kills within 10 years. I have had 4 head injuries and struck by lightning twice
i highly doubt this, should i act like ticker? i think i should. i think your lying, i wanna see proof of all these conditions you mention. by a medical doctor. in this thread

I don't want to be unkind, but I agree with Richard, this statement just REEKS of Munchausens to me...

M

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 8:09 am

mechanima wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
Ticker wrote:

I don't want to be unkind, but I agree with Richard, this statement just REEKS of Munchausens to me...

M

It reeks of something else to me....

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Oct 2007, 8:48 am

you know its funny. im just using the same criteria shes using against me, an observation on a internet message board with alot of assuming involved. i doubt she can post proof of all those conditions though, has she even posted her photograph? i can actually post proof of my disability and have done so here. social security just doesnt go by your word on being disabled, they look you up and down for a real long time to actually make shure if you are or not. so rest assured people i am not ripping you off

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 9:19 am

I just read this whole thread. I'm glad that some other folks finally see what I see in Ticker - a troll in denial.

richardbenson, you are the most supportive and inspiring person on WP. Your posts always make me smile. You are honest about how hard you work on your own attitude, and you go out of your way to give people the benefit of the doubt and make them feel welcome here. As far as I'm concerned, you are what WP should be about.

WP is suffering because of people like Ticker. I saw how she attacked the Ritvos when she got turned down for their research project on AS. She was all keen to volunteer, and then when she got rejected she turned around and started trashing them like she got dumped romantically or something. I never used to question anyone's AS diagnosis here, but she's one of a few whom I seriously doubt. There are several people on here now who claim to have AS but who actually behave like they have anything and everything but. They ruin the vibe and bring people down. It sucks.

I sure miss Kosmo. There was no one better than him for filtering out the BS.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Oct 2007, 9:23 am

unnamed wrote:
richardbenson, you are the most supportive and inspiring person on WP.
well thanks, but ive defintly had my tard moments on here. :lol:

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 9:26 am

richardbenson wrote:
unnamed wrote:
richardbenson, you are the most supportive and inspiring person on WP.
well thanks, but ive defintly had my tard moments on here. :lol:

We all have. :lol:

Noa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2007, 9:28 am

Upholding Wilhelm Reich as an example of a successful autistic professional whom we should strive to emulate?

Hmm, something isn't quite right with this picture. Smells distinctly trollish. Ticker, I believe you might have spent a tick too much time in your orgone accumulator.

Excuse me, I have to go destroy negative anomalous stars and end the drout in Death Valley.

Last edited by Noa on 09 Oct 2007, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForFlorence
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2007, 9:31 am

Danielismyname wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Why do you REALLY have such problems?

You know, the inability to actually stand in the presence of people tends to limit an individual's ability to pursue vocational and academic activities; not to mention the inability to use the phone.

Then you throw in the "special interests" where you cannot focus on anything but "that" and, well, you know; it's kind of hard to move in mainstream society when one has all of that.

It's all in the DSM-IV-TR under Asperger's and autistic disorder. Interestingly enough, many people I see with AS/AD are always accompanied by a parent to Attwood's clinic (adults of a similar age to me with their parents).

There's a taboo topic that a fair percentage of AS children have at least one AS parent. It makes me wonder how much of the co-dependence is reciprocal - ie. the parents relying on the children as much as the children on the adults. This could make it difficult for an AS child to "make the break" sort-to-speak.

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 9:52 am

ForFlorence wrote:
There's a taboo topic that a fair percentage of AS children have at least one AS parent. It makes me wonder how much of the co-dependence is reciprocal - ie. the parents relying on the children as much as the children on the adults. This could make it difficult for an AS child to "make the break" sort-to-speak.

Don't restrict that to AS parents. In real terms NT parents are far more likely to be co-dependent than any Aspie, and similar co-dependence manifests in relation to physical disabilities, where all parties are "strictly NT". As a matter of fact that is where I first encountered it, I was quite surprised to see it extend to AS families who should, by rights, be FAR less susceptible.

Patronising social attitudes reinforce that when we should be encouraging parents to raise their children to expand their horizons and be as independent as possoble, not conditioning them to become co-dependent extensions of their own sense of self.

M

09 Oct 2007, 12:28 pm

unnamed wrote:
I just read this whole thread. I'm glad that some other folks finally see what I see in Ticker - a troll in denial.

richardbenson, you are the most supportive and inspiring person on WP. Your posts always make me smile. You are honest about how hard you work on your own attitude, and you go out of your way to give people the benefit of the doubt and make them feel welcome here. As far as I'm concerned, you are what WP should be about.

WP is suffering because of people like Ticker. I saw how she attacked the Ritvos when she got turned down for their research project on AS. She was all keen to volunteer, and then when she got rejected she turned around and started trashing them like she got dumped romantically or something. I never used to question anyone's AS diagnosis here, but she's one of a few whom I seriously doubt. There are several people on here now who claim to have AS but who actually behave like they have anything and everything but. They ruin the vibe and bring people down. It sucks.

I sure miss Kosmo. There was no one better than him for filtering out the BS.

Since you do now, what do you think of mine? Do you think I'm misdiagnosed? If so, what do you think I have instead? Am I maybe an NT who acts like an aspie because of my hearing loss?

09 Oct 2007, 12:34 pm

richardbenson wrote:
you know its funny. im just using the same criteria shes using against me, an observation on a internet message board with alot of assuming involved. i doubt she can post proof of all those conditions though, has she even posted her photograph? i can actually post proof of my disability and have done so here. social security just doesnt go by your word on being disabled, they look you up and down for a real long time to actually make shure if you are or not. so rest assured people i am not ripping you off

You don't need to prove your disability on here. You have to be an ass to not believe it. Not everyone can prove their disabilities because they don't either have their papers or a camera. I don't have my papers so therefore I wouldn't be able to prove mine. My parents have them and I don't have any in my adulthood.

You see now how annoying it is when you get doubt when you are telling the truth?

Yes I know there are people who lie on the inetrnet but there is no proof that they are so I keep it to myself because what if they were telling the truth and I accuse them of lying? Then I'm an as*hole. I have been called a liar myself so I know how it feels to be called a liar when I am actually telling the truth so I make sure I don't do that to others.