I'm beginning to really dislike this board!

Page 7 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

spazmaticstitch
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2007, 9:30 pm

I don't think anyone can know what all aspies can & can't do, because all aspies are different.

Last edited by spazmaticstitch on 15 Oct 2007, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Oct 2007, 10:16 pm

i agree. most posters here like to rile up. do not worry, be yourself and have fun :)

15 Oct 2007, 3:31 am

Actually my last BF was AS too but he was just very judgemental and closed minded. He bases what AS is and what they are like just by reading this forum. He thinks they are all good with math, and are all alike and none of them watch little kids shows or baby shows or play with toys unless they are technical. There was other stuff too he said.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 8:03 am

richardbenson wrote:
if anyones wondering, i do not think hadron knows what aspies can and cant do

There are no jobs that an aspie cannot do, just some jobs they are an awful more likely to succeed in. I also know that there are plenty of jobs that someone can do just sitting behind a computer, so 99% of the people on the forum should be able to do something that earns them some money. Even if it is just filling out surveys for $10 a pop.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 8:05 am

spazmaticstitch wrote:
I don't think anyone can know what all aspies can & can't do, because all aspies are different.

Are you seriously telling me that it is impossible to earn money someway? There is probably quite a fair few things that you can do, even if it wouldnt be a fully salarised job. What are you good at?

bugschivers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 9:01 am

Is it that people think that people should work or that they don't like the fact that some people don't work? What is the obsession with work?
The fact that a large proportion of the workforce is unhappy leads me to conclude that working is in fact harmful for most people, if not more so for people with Asperger's who are maybe not really designed for the modern work ethic.
As far as I am concerned, working at something merely to make money is an incredibly pointless pursuit, particularly if you hate it, someone tell me what the point in spending all those years wallowing in mediocrity is and I might be a bit more interested in listening. As yet, all I've read in this thread are people who are quite obviously happily indoctrinated into the modern "dream" trying to get others to follow suit, are you going to tell me, that all these intelligent, creative individuals with a wealth of skills should be stacking shelves and packing bags, or filing worthless files away merely because you would prefer they did something than be whatever you think they are being? Drain on the economy etc.
I worked for a number of years, and to be quite frank it totally screwed me up, I firmly believe that people should be doing what they are actually good at, not what society deems necessary, it is incredibly short-sighted to suggest that people ought to just get a job, everyone does that, and loads of people are no better off. With the added complications that Asperger's brings, I applaud anyone who manages to keep going from day to day, let alone manages to get and hold down a job. The last thing people need is someone criticizing them for not working, do you feel yourselves so superior that you are the first people to have suggested that people should get a job?
As if working was a cure! It's not a cure, it's not even an answer, it's merely something that the modern world has deemed necessary, because stupidly lots of people value someone's bank account more than they value the person, let's get this straight, those advocating work, do so, I believe because somewhere within themselves they don't think that it's fair that others get to not work. You can say that you're trying to be cruel to be kind, to give them a jolt, etc, etc, I have to ask, why you think that working is any shape or form, any of your blooming business? Because you have no idea what people go through on a daily basis, you don't know their capabilities, skills nor their weaknesses, inabilities, by all means offer advice, Great if working helped you, let us know how and why, but don't preach your own beliefs under the guise of helping, because it's patently not advice, it's preaching.

Bugs

Hobbes: What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin: Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

bugschivers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 9:10 am

I thought I should just add, that I'm not against working, I'm against the modern concepts attached to work, which is why I think that people should only do things that they are actually Good at and enjoy, because when you love what you do, it's not longer work, it's just what you do and you can do that all day, every day given half a chance.
If you do work, then I admire your tenacity, but it's not for me, I don't want to go insulting people who can work, because that's not what I'm ranting about, I'm ranting about people who try to impose their own lifestyle choices on other people.
It's a waste of everyone's talents when the majority of people working don't enjoy or are even any good at what they do and to perpetuate that waste by telling people to go and get any job because you think that they should, is just adding yet more misery to some already unhappy people's lives.

Bugs

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 9:29 am

bugschivers wrote:
Is it that people think that people should work or that they don't like the fact that some people don't work? What is the obsession with work?
The fact that a large proportion of the workforce is unhappy leads me to conclude that working is in fact harmful for most people, if not more so for people with Asperger's who are maybe not really designed for the modern work ethic.

And you think the people who sit at home all day, barely surviving on state handouts are happy? There may be some exceptions, but most are not, as evidenced by the Haven forum on this site and lots of other miserable threads.
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, working at something merely to make money is an incredibly pointless pursuit, particularly if you hate it, someone tell me what the point in spending all those years wallowing in mediocrity is and I might be a bit more interested in listening. As yet, all I've read in this thread are people who are quite obviously happily indoctrinated into the modern "dream" trying to get others to follow suit, are you going to tell me, that all these intelligent, creative individuals with a wealth of skills should be stacking shelves and packing bags, or filing worthless files away merely because you would prefer they did something than be whatever you think they are being? Drain on the economy etc.

Well if everyone took your line on working, what do you think would happen? I am sure you can answer that one for yourself. As for these intelligent creative individuals, there is a way of getting a good job. Get a degree. Some people just choose not to in most cases. Even if people do voluntary work, they are contributing something. It isnt like the world is lacking in worthy causes.
Quote:
I worked for a number of years, and to be quite frank it totally screwed me up, I firmly believe that people should be doing what they are actually good at, not what society deems necessary, it is incredibly short-sighted to suggest that people ought to just get a job, everyone does that, and loads of people are no better off. With the added complications that Asperger's brings, I applaud anyone who manages to keep going from day to day, let alone manages to get and hold down a job. The last thing people need is someone criticizing them for not working, do you feel yourselves so superior that you are the first people to have suggested that people should get a job?

If you chose the right job, it should be something you are good at. Obviously in most cases you have to work your way into getting there. Some people choose not to, in lots of cases out of pure laziness.
Quote:
As if working was a cure! It's not a cure, it's not even an answer, it's merely something that the modern world has deemed necessary, because stupidly lots of people value someone's bank account more than they value the person, let's get this straight, those advocating work, do so, I believe because somewhere within themselves they don't think that it's fair that others get to not work. You can say that you're trying to be cruel to be kind, to give them a jolt, etc, etc, I have to ask, why you think that working is any shape or form, any of your blooming business? Because you have no idea what people go through on a daily basis, you don't know their capabilities, skills nor their weaknesses, inabilities, by all means offer advice, Great if working helped you, let us know how and why, but don't preach your own beliefs under the guise of helping, because it's patently not advice, it's preaching.

Bugs

No one here said working is a cure. But it does help to feel like you are actually doing something, or contributing something to this world. Relying on other people to do your work for you (which relying on state handouts actually is), unless you absolutely need it is damn cheeky. I suppose it is everyones business where their taxes go. As for your implication that people in this thread have no idea about what being an aspie is like, i would like to remind you that pretty much everyone on this thread is an aspie, and therefore understands what it means and is like to be one. Really you have just made your response to justify your choice to be lazy for the rest of your life. Some of us actually want to go places in our lives, but if you dont want to its up to you. Its a foolish choice, but then if you want to be a fool that is your problem. As for preaching, what exactly is it you are doing with your post.... :roll:

bugschivers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 9:41 am

I think you just nailed your colours to the mast, you have no idea what I'm doing with my life, and you have no idea what I want from life, words like lazy and the obvious contempt you hold for people on benefits only go to justify my suspicions, I wasn't suggesting that people don't know what it's like to have Asperger's, but that maybe everyone has different experiences and maybe that it was short-sighted to try and judge what people are capable of.
I think that your replies are actually quite laughably naive, keep on thinking what you like, asides from which, I doubt anyone is doing any good arguing the toss on a forum, and if I were preaching, then I guess I hold my hands up and admit that I was preaching, I thought that I had found somewhere which encouraged open-mindedness and creativity and maybe that people be who they are, yes I am a fool, more fool me for believing that WrongPlanet was anywhere different from everywhere else online.

Bugs

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 9:52 am

bugschivers wrote:
I think you just nailed your colours to the mast, you have no idea what I'm doing with my life, and you have no idea what I want from life, words like lazy and the obvious contempt you hold for people on benefits only go to justify my suspicions, I wasn't suggesting that people don't know what it's like to have Asperger's, but that maybe everyone has different experiences and maybe that it was short-sighted to try and judge what people are capable of.
I think that your replies are actually quite laughably naive, keep on thinking what you like, asides from which, I doubt anyone is doing any good arguing the toss on a forum, and if I were preaching, then I guess I hold my hands up and admit that I was preaching, I thought that I had found somewhere which encouraged open-mindedness and creativity and maybe that people be who they are, yes I am a fool, more fool me for believing that WrongPlanet was anywhere different from everywhere else online.

Bugs

I dont hold people in contempt for taking benefits, what i do hold in contempt is people who blatently can work making a choice not to, and those who are perhaps even fraudelently taking it. The welfare state is to protect those who need it, and some people abuse that protection. Everyone does have different experiences, but I know lots of people on this forum merely are making excuses for themselves. Its in their intrests, and everyone elses for them to stop. You certainly shouldnt encourage it.

As for arguing a toss on a forum, your suggestion that every aspie should just use it as an excuse to do f**k all with their lives is contemptable, and that is why i challenged it. Seems ive won, given you have just marched onto meaningless platitudes and insults. Come back with a proper arguement next time, please...

bugschivers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 10:00 am

I don't think you got a single thing I said, I'll let you think that you won, it's easier than trying to explain something you'll obviously never understand.

Bugs

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Oct 2007, 10:03 am

Hadron wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

There are no jobs that an aspie cannot do, just some jobs they are an awful more likely to succeed in. I also know that there are plenty of jobs that someone can do just sitting behind a computer, so 99% of the people on the forum should be able to do something that earns them some money. Even if it is just filling out surveys for $10 a pop.
i can earn money, but not enough to support myself. its called substaintial work, its one of the criteria for getting on disability in america. i dont think theres any jobs aspies cant do either, the only problem i have is with someone generalizing everyone. when he lives off of taxpayers himself and probably mommy and daddy aswell

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:09 am

richardbenson wrote:
Hadron wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

i can earn money, but not enough to support myself. its called substaintial work, its one of the criteria for getting on disability in america. i dont think theres any jobs aspies cant do either, the only problem i have is with someone generalizing everyone. when he lives off of taxpayers himself and probably mommy and daddy aswell

Nah I just live of taxpayers and loans, mommy and daddy dont pay anything towards uni for me. When I am finished in uni, i would do a job that pays way more money than if i had not gone, hence paying more tax in the long run, so in real terms the taxpayer makes a profit on me over the course of my life. That aside, all my arguements i have always said apply to most cases, not every case. I take it your SSRI means you lose out if you work. What I object to is people sitting around and doing absolutely nothing with their lives, which many members here seem to encourage and do. I take it you do a lot more than sit in your house all day, correct Richard?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Oct 2007, 10:11 am

i like looking in crystal balls awell. there neat

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:29 am

richardbenson wrote:
i like looking in crystal balls awell. there neat

Whats my future? :P