Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 4:16 pm

Inability of thinking on their own - their opinions (it's a generalization and simplification, of course) are based on their peers's opinions on the same things.

Treating a kind of music someone listens to as a matter of utmost importance (in young people, especially) - I mean, you're always asked what music you like while someone very rarely hits upon an idea to ask you about your favourite films or books. And even in such cases if you admit you like watching/reading unpopular (and characterized by a low quality) things, it's not a shame and reason of mocking like it happens in case of music. Once, I remember, when I was 12, I was asked by another girl from my class what music I liked. I was racking my brains for several seconds trying to discover what kind of answer she had expected and in the end I squeezed out an answer: "A modern and a classical one". I was VERY proud of myseld that I was able to give an answer because I didn't have the slightest idea what kind of answer was expected from me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2007, 4:25 pm

BlueMax wrote:
...the unstoppable NEED to be constantly connected with other people. LOTS of other people. The more, the better.

Why is it that individualism scares them so?

Yes, I've seen this. Watch an NT alone, out in public. They look left. Look right. Look restless. And then, out comes the cell phone! As if their own company is unbearable, and they will do anything to avoid it. I once had a neighbor who had somebody visiting, every freaking night! It could be a guy, a girl, it didn't matter. If he was alone, it was never more than an hour at the most. Once, he had a guy living there for months, even though the lease specified one person per unit. And when he had to ask the guy to leave, he immediately moved in a girl!

GizmoGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2007, 8:57 pm

some things that NT's do that sometimes bug me or I dont understand:
(yes mybe some Autistic or Aspie's do this as well)

not keep promises
lie just to keep people happy
worry about what other people are thinking about them
the need to have 50 billion friends
talk on the cell phone none stop or the regular phone
the need to constanly do what their spouses, boyfriend,girlfriends,friends,ect want to do instead of doing what they want to do
not think for themselfs and take what everyone says as the right way to do something
the need to change or fix something like autism or as because we are not like them that whole if its not the same then it has to go idea :lol:

~"S&M is an art. Doing it well requires more than a bag full of expensive whips and ropes, a closet full of fetish clothes, or a basement filled with bondage furniture." De Sade~

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Oct 2007, 9:20 pm

risingphoenix wrote:
(Ok, this just by the way, I put "NT" in quotation marks as I don't like the term very much because of the negative connotations it seems to carry here often. On the other hand, I also don't know any better one, so...)

my question is, what behaviours come to your mind which are considered normal but which you actually find funny. I find it funny for example
1. To look at how people swing their arms when they walk.
2. How people sometimes say nothing but "uh-huh" and "m-hm" for a whole 10 minutes or so during a telephone conversation.
3. How they praise themselves by at the same time (seemingly) trying to downplay themselves, aka "He asked me to do this and that and even though I was so busy already I just couldn't say no. You see, that's just what I'm like, I can't say no to anybody, can't help it."

I think this is really amusing...
For example, someone will be cooking dinner, and then another person will look into the pot, to see what they are cooking, but still ask "What are you cooking?". Are some people just really stuoid of something?
Stating the obvious just to fill in conversation gaps is completely pointless.

becca423b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2007, 9:45 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Going into the bathroom together..
I nevr understand why NT girls always seem to do this...

I have never understood this! Personally, I hate peeing around other people. It just doesn't make any sense........

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2007, 9:56 pm

becca423b wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:
Going into the bathroom together..
I nevr understand why NT girls always seem to do this...

I have never understood this! Personally, I hate peeing around other people. It just doesn't make any sense........

This annoys me too, mostly because if one girl has to go, they all take up the stalls. I don't like having to wait ten minutes for an open toilet because a group of teens can't even pee by themselfs.

ITypically
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2007, 10:58 pm

Quote:
Yes, I've seen this. Watch an NT alone, out in public. They look left. Look right. Look restless. And then, out comes the cell phone! As if their own company is unbearable, and they will do anything to avoid it. I once had a neighbor who had somebody visiting, every freaking night! It could be a guy, a girl, it didn't matter. If he was alone, it was never more than an hour at the most. Once, he had a guy living there for months, even though the lease specified one person per unit. And when he had to ask the guy to leave, he immediately moved in a girl!

I can vaguely understand this one...I mean to CONSTANTLY be with someone when you're not married to them (even then...) is a bit creepy, but there are some days where I'm just dieing for some social interaction. Not all the time, but some days my own company isn't enough to suffice.

I don't know, this may be just my ignorance, but I recently found out that people used their eyebrows to greet eachother. At the time this was completely foreign to me, and I went and asked my NT friend and my mom. They thought I was nuts and acted as though wiggling your eyebrows at someone when you see them is perfectly normal. Then I asked this guy who I suspect to have AS and he and I started laughing at how weird that is. I don't know...just something about the wiggling of the eyebrows seems a bit of a strange greeting to me. But maybe it's normal for everyone.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 11:43 pm

It took me years to accomplish looking natural while swinging my arms. My natural way is rigid, or awkward, or worst...running with my thumbs up and arms rididly bent, not swinging. I still have to pay attention to *not* do this.

People with the really annoying canny techno cell phone ring tones that are LOUD enough to wake the dead. I haven't found an Aspie yet who would do that.

The NT need to travel in packs. I like what another poster said, what about individuality scares them?

Girls days out. Often I see large groups of women of all ages at restaurants or other locations. Why? I can't ever see myself in that dynamic except by accident. Mostly, NT female stuff annoys me.

People who randomly start talking to me in public when I don't know them. AAHHHHHH!! !!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2007, 12:18 am

siuan wrote:
People who randomly start talking to me in public when I don't know them. AAHHHHHH!! !!

Oh, I so hate that! I was waiting for the bus the other day, and this woman opened the door of a small church (one of those hideous storefront ones) and just started talking to me! I couldn't make out a word she was saying over the rush of traffic going by. So I just smiled vaguely, and started walking away. I figured I'd go down a block, to the next bus stop. I couldn't think what possible reason there was for me to have a conversation with her!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 1:03 am

Dressing like gender specific clones. Tight-fitting clothes for girls, and baggy clothes with backward baseball caps for boys. Why can't teens just dress normally, like they did, twenty years ago.

Toral
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2007, 4:13 am

NT1: Boy, it sure is hot today, isn't it.
NT2: Yep.
NT2: I hear it's going to be hot the next few days.
NT1: Not as hot as it was last summer, though.
NT2: No, that one was hot, for sure.
NT3: I don't think I've ever seen one like that.
NT1: The Weather Channel says it's going to be hot the next few days, then more fall-like weather.
NT2: Well, we are getting into fall, aren't we?
NT1: Yep.

NT1: If I'd known it was going to be so hot today, I'd have worn my shorts.
NT2: Well, it might have rained today.
NT3: Like last week. That was the loudest thunderstorm I've ever heard.
NT1: Well, maybe not the loudest, but close to it.
NT3: My dog goes crazy during thunderstorms. Do all dogs get very disturbed during thunderstorms?

[Pause -- Actual question of possible interest asked]

NT2: 'Course we could still have an Indian Summer later.
NT1: My neighbour used to have a cat who would yawl and hide thirty minutes before a thunderstorm came.
NT2: You're kidding!
NT1: Nope. That cat would yawl and hide thirty minutes before a thunderstorm came.
NT3: Really! Do a lot of cats show that same behaviour?

NT2: The Weather Channel's been way off these last few weeks. I sometimes think they just make their forecasts up!
NTs1,3: Laugh.
NT3: They sure are wrong a lot, aren't they.
NT2: Yep, they sure are.
NT1: You can get the weather forecasts on the Internet too, now. Though they don't seem to be any better than the ones on TV!
NTs2, 3: Laugh.
NT1: But anyway we get them for free!
NT2: With all the technological advances we've made in the last 20 years, do you think weather forecasts are any more accurate now than they were then?

NT3: The Farmer's Almanac said it would be hot the next little while.
NT1: It's amazing how they are so right!

Such conversation goes on for indeterminate length of time, after which the NTs flash one another their secret signs and move onto other topics, exclude one member and have a one-on-on conversation, or disperse and join other NT conversation groups,
as the case may be.

--C.S. Lewis

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 6:24 am

That was funny.

Since weather is my interest I often end up talking to strangers about the weather. They think it's small talk but I'm actually enjoying it... Until they badmouth meteorologists (badmouthing The Weather Channel is okay by me though :lol: those TV people aren't real meteorologists anyways).

I would have an irresistible urge to but into that conversation you just posted and set them all straight. It's funny how they always attempt to change the subject after badmouthing meteorologists. At least allow me the chance to defend myself by delving into a discussion on chaos theory and the limitations of numerical weather prediction!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 6:40 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Dressing like gender specific clones. Tight-fitting clothes for girls, and baggy clothes with backward baseball caps for boys. Why can't teens just dress normally, like they did, twenty years ago.

I hate to say it, but THIRTY years ago, the average middle class boy/man wore relaxed fit clothes. NOT tight, but NOT baggy either. And no baseball cap. As for girls? That started to get popular. I STILL remember the jeans commercial with brook shields trying to squeeze in. HEY, some girls just have a figure they really want to show off. :lol: I can understand that

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 8:00 am

The constant need to wear stinky toxic perfumes.

I used to sit on the sidewalk outside my office job, waiting to be picked up (and feeding the ants)and the well-dressed middle class families would walk past me, each person reeking of some sort of horrible fragrance...that was supposed to indicate cleanliness, but really each little crowd of people was the equivolent to a little walking refinery that would give me an instant headache....

and now I am off to find that sensitive to smells thread....

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 4:21 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
The constant need to wear stinky toxic perfumes.

I used to sit on the sidewalk outside my office job, waiting to be picked up (and feeding the ants)and the well-dressed middle class families would walk past me, each person reeking of some sort of horrible fragrance...that was supposed to indicate cleanliness, but really each little crowd of people was the equivolent to a little walking refinery that would give me an instant headache....

and now I am off to find that sensitive to smells thread....

Reminds me of an episode of the cartoon AHH! Real Monsters!, where they snuck the essence of Krunk (one of the monsters), into the machine for a popular perfume. The reason they did that, was because to them the nice smelling perfumes made them feel sick. Who knows, maybe someone who wrote that episode knew someone with a sensitivity to smells.

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 2:00 pm

Now I can breath a sigh of relief knowing now that I’m not the only one who finds the previously mentioned habits a little odd and confusing to say the least. I refuse to run with the herd to the restroom or anywhere else (unless I‘m with family) and even then I don’t follow the female members of my family into the restroom.