Trying not to melt down and hold it together

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Oct 2005, 10:36 pm

Hi all,
Tomorrow I have to set some limits on a project or go ballistic.
My company's biggest trade show of the year is comming up and I still need to design, write a script for, and build the software for a usability test of a product concept.

The collegue assigned to help me has been insisting about talking constantly about plans and as my mind works in pictures all these words are causing my head to explode.

My plan is to politely tell him that my mind works in pictures during this part of design and in order to get the project done on time - I need a time out for a day to just prototype and think. Then do it.

Otherwise I think I will lose it.

What do you all think?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2005, 11:00 pm

julieme wrote:
Hi all,
Tomorrow I have to set some limits on a project or go ballistic.
My company's biggest trade show of the year is comming up and I still need to design, write a script for, and build the software for a usability test of a product concept.

The collegue assigned to help me has been insisting about talking constantly about plans and as my mind works in pictures all these words are causing my head to explode.

My plan is to politely tell him that my mind works in pictures during this part of design and in order to get the project done on time - I need a time out for a day to just prototype and think. Then do it.

Otherwise I think I will lose it.

What do you all think?

I don't think that's quite how you'd want to phrase it. Explain to him that you like a little time to mull the problem over by yourself before exchanging ideas. Suggest that he write out all the important ideas he wanted to share with you in an e-mail; you'll do the same. After that, set a fixed duration of time to iron out the last details of the design and to distribute responsibilities.

A person with Asperger's syndrome has the advantage of knowing formally their cognitive strengths and weaknesses. This person probably hasn't received some label for his neuro-style. Still, just because you may have a recognized neurological disorder doesn't mean you are entitled to have the team project exactly to fit your personal preferences. His cognitive style and personality may mean he learns better through verbal and social interaction to some extent. You're going to have to meet him halfway; it's only fair. You simply need to draw a line, set some boundaries, explain a few things, and respect each other's differences.

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2005, 5:15 am

Storyboarding is a good idea. Not enough people use it. Tell them you appreciate the input, but need it in an easy to assimilate format due to whatever you think is best to say.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2005, 5:23 am

Exactly. Put it in a way that you can understand, and interests you. :D

Henry David Thoureau, 1854