Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 11:32 am

I keep seeing people refer to looking young as a symptom of AS. I definitely do, but my dad always did, so I figured it's just genetic. I've never heard of this before. Do most people who visit this site feel they look young for their age?

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Oct 2007, 11:43 am

I did, definitely , until became a mother , after which the rot set in very fast . Something to do with having ten times , or even 100 times as many feelings per day as before son was born!! !
But until then ,aged 36 , I was still sometimes taken for a 20 year old.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 11:46 am

I feel that I look young for my age. I have such a sweet, little baby face.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 11:49 am

I'm 23. People just now are starting to assume that I'm at least 18. *headdesk*

When I was 18, someone once asked me if I was under 12 at a movie theater. I should have said yes. But you know how aspies are with lies and all.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 12:54 pm

I've been told that I look like a year 11 (I'm in year 12), though my birthday is in august so I am a year 11, give or take a month

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 1:29 pm

Yes. Even though I am 47 people have told me I look like I am in my 30s. I have seen people my age who look considerably older than I.

TheMandalore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2007, 2:06 pm

Really? Its the other way for me. I've always had people think I was about five years older than I really am. Although that may be partly because I had my growth spurt earlier than most my classmates, but even now at 20 people think I'm about 25.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 2:39 pm

I've been told that I look like someone in their early 40's but I'm 51 next birthday. They must be ignoring the gray beard (sometimes) and the graying hair.

Ed Almos

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Oct 2007, 2:45 pm

I wonder if it's the innocence in our eyes that makes us look younger.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 3:47 pm

quirky wrote:
I keep seeing people refer to looking young as a symptom of AS. I definitely do, but my dad always did, so I figured it's just genetic. I've never heard of this before. Do most people who visit this site feel they look young for their age?

it's a spectrum wide thing,am accused of being fourteen [in twenties],and every other autie am know whom are also a lot older are always mistakenly age IDd to.
would be interesting to know if it was a definite trait of ASD,if ASD was found to give eternal youth,the extreme pro curists won't be so quick to eliminate ASDers,they'd try to bottle what the autist has got first.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 3:52 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
I'm 23. People just now are starting to assume that I'm at least 18. *headdesk*

When I was 18, someone once asked me if I was under 12 at a movie theater. I should have said yes. But you know how aspies are with lies and all.

Same here, i'm 23 and people think i'm 18.
I still get asked for my ID for heavy liquor.
However, the time people asked my ID for a beer is fortunately over.
When i was 20 i hated it that people weren't sure i was over 16, so i could buy a beer.
Whenever i meet someone new, every single time they'r amazed at my age.

Us aspies are just cursed :P

In my family people do tend to look a bit younger, especially my mom.
But my brothers don't get estimated younger anymore because of theyr big size.
Me being of average height and thin, doesn't really help me looking older.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Oct 2007, 4:48 pm

i look young and mildy ret*d :jester:

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Oct 2007, 4:57 pm

When I was 15, people would ask if I was 18, but that was because I was 18 stone and quite beefy. Got me into clubs, pubs and past the spirit counter. Last Christmas the lady in the supermarket asked me if I was over 18 (I'm 25), and a good friend of mine initially thought I was about 4 years younger than I am. At this rate, when I'm 40, I'll look like a 10 year old. :?

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Tog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2007, 5:10 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Yes. Even though I am 47 people have told me I look like I am in my 30s. I have seen people my age who look considerably older than I.

*Absolutely! I'm 48 and folk reckon I am about 35. Had it all my damned life!! !! !
My Father is the same. Met a client the other day 10 years younger who looked 10 years older.

Has this got anything to do with the "open visage" of autism? The look of innocence?

Pity I fell about 180 years old though...

Peace

Tog

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 5:35 pm

Just to clarify how young I look, I'm 18 and people are always so shocked that I'm in college. On the day I left for college we had a celebratory dinner at a restaurant, and I was offered a kids menu - haha! On my first day of middle school,I was told I must have gotten on the wrong bus, and they wanted me to go back to the elementary school. And at my job, people always asked me if I was old enough to work. Once I speak though, people realize I'm older. I'm only 5 feet tall, which doesn't help. But my dad was like that and looks like 10 years younger than the 48 years he is, so I'm hoping for similar luck :)

Tog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2007, 5:39 pm

quirky wrote:
But my dad was like that and looks like 10 years younger than the 48 years he is, so I'm hoping for similar luck :)

Can I just say that I anot quirky's dad! <LOL>

Peace

Tog