Specific Topic of Research...please give your opinion!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2007, 6:06 pm

Please help me out! My teacher has now give three choices of specified topics! (All proper permission received btw).
They are as follows:

1. My findings vs. the DSM-IV criteria for asperger's - do you agree with the dsm-IV for adult aspies?
2. Adulthood and asperger's - what is adulthood like for those with aspergers?
3. Asperger's life vs. the current research - is it the same?
4. Life for Aspies - what is life like for those with asperger's childhood through adulthood?

Please tell me which one and why you think I should do that one. I am trying to choose the one that may best assist aspies in the long run. Thanks to all who have participate thus far. You will be getting questions soon! If you are willing to help, email me and I'll send the questions to you. Thank you!

Annabel

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 6:12 pm

There doesn't seem to be much information about the second topic, compared to all the others at least.
That one would probably be the most beneficial to research.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 6:17 pm

I agree with #2 as well. It seems most research is done on childhood and not adulthood, however, at the same time, I have to say that even the research done for childhood seems to be "guided or biased" and not truly from the point of view of an ASPIE...but more from the point of view of NTs and what THEY believe the hardships are, etc...

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2007, 6:22 pm

I am the one conducting the research on how things are for aspies. i am an aspie, and I am conducting survey research of other aspies to find their experiences...would that make it more beneficial?

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 6:28 pm

Sure it could be, it could help be a step up in the direction of people not judging us harshly.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2007, 6:31 pm

that is what I am wanting, hoping for. No one seems to really understand us or what life is like for us. That is why a topic choice is difficult. I want the dsm changed. i want more understanding for what we are living with. i want someone with real understanding treating/researching those with this issue.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 6:32 pm

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 6:37 pm

AnnabelLee wrote:
that is what I am wanting, hoping for. No one seems to really understand us or what life is like for us. That is why a topic choice is difficult. I want the dsm changed. i want more understanding for what we are living with. i want someone with real understanding treating/researching those with this issue.

It's good that you're working on this. I wish you big success.

People could understand aspies if they'd just open their minds. If I were in charge of giving out teaching certificates, I'd demand that the students don't get the certifiicates until they teach a cat three dog tricks. It can be done but one has to get out of narrow thinking and meet the cat on the cat's terms.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 11:28 pm

I agree that #2 would probably be the most beneficial.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 1:41 am

#2 and #4

I think #2 could be included in #4

why do you mention the change in DSM-IV?

Which one of the four interests you more?

edal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 3:55 pm

#2, and I'm still waiting for my questions :?

Ed Almos

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 4:06 pm

Sorry, but I have to vote for #1 or #3. I think those comparisons would be both relatively easy to research and beneficial to the community. They could point out discrepancies between reality and the literature, thereby suggesting areas in which further research should be done.

How are things going with that mentally ill teacher?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 5:10 pm

In terms of keeping the scope of your project realistic, I would vote for #1 or #2.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 7:13 pm

computerlove wrote:

why do you mention the change in DSM-IV?

I'm a graduate level music therapy major and we just discussed this in class. I was like, "What do mean that Aspergers is listed as a DISABILITY???"

Grrr.

And then you could talk about all the other topics as well.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 7:20 pm

An integration of 2 and 4 together. Number 1 sounds too dry.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2007, 5:50 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Sorry, but I have to vote for #1 or #3. I think those comparisons would be both relatively easy to research and beneficial to the community. They could point out discrepancies between reality and the literature, thereby suggesting areas in which further research should be done.

How are things going with that mentally ill teacher?

Mental teacher still as mental as always...but I showed her she can't dissuade me. She obviously is of the opinion I should not be there/I don't belong there. I proved I do. Though I had a breakdown after and an anxiety attack during, not only did I take her oral test, working in a group with others, and performing in front of others, I got 100% correct on it. :P
I DO belong! I have a 4.0. I Do belong in school, regardless of what her nastiness believes.

As for those waiting on questions, my teacher has been gone the last two weeks due to an illness, so I haven't been able to get them approved as of yet. It should be really soon. I may send them off next week, even if she isn't back yet. I need to get things moving!