Do you have disability insurance?
Yes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
No 74%  74%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 42

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:04 pm

They wouldn't let me have it because I'm "capable of working"... Mom tried to get it for me about a month after I turned eighteen, which was last January, but they wouldn't budge on their decision.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

17 Oct 2007, 9:11 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
They wouldn't let me have it because I'm "capable of working"... Mom tried to get it for me about a month after I turned eighteen, which was last January, but they wouldn't budge on their decision.

Yes I am,
Although I don't really think I need it...my mum thought that it would be a good idea.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:13 pm

Not on disability here.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:15 pm

Nope, gainfully employed.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:19 pm

Yup.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:30 pm

I probably couldnt get on disability if I tired because nobody gives a damn about me, even though I also have physical issues as well as mental. I cant drive, I cant walk very far and I cant work worth a damn if I have to be around people or interact with them, so what kinda job could I get? A friend of mine with AS got money for disability, even though he had a job before and he got good grades and goes to college. We are the same age and I cant say any of those about me. The kicker is, his parents are like freakin rich, he doesn't even need to have a job or any money, and here my parents are divorced and my dad has to work 2 jobs just to pay the bills, and I cant help him cause I cant find work I could do effectively. As much as I love the extra time alone I get for my dad working 2 jobs, I would really like to get disability money so he could quit one of his jobs and have more time to sleep at night and stuff.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:44 pm

I was on it when I was under 18... I got like 600 bucks a month. At that time the "reasons" were my diagnoses of depression, bipolar disorder, and scoliosis.

The only reason I'm not still on it is because when I moved in with my dad at 16, he said he "wasn't going to suck off the government" like my mom. Which I agreed with. Because he made good money, and I didn't understand why I should get money for being screwed up.

For someone of working age though, who can't work because of their disabilities, totally different story, yes.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:50 pm

I am not, and never have been.
My ex-roommate is, but he eventually got a job, but i guess he is still on disability.
He certainly needs it, in fact I am amazed he has managed to keep his job for so long. He is definitely unstable.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:55 pm

Yes, I'm on disability. Yes, I need it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 10:00 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
I was on it when I was under 18... I got like 600 bucks a month. At that time the "reasons" were my diagnoses of depression, bipolar disorder, and scoliosis.

WOW! I have had chemical depression(diagnosed), bipolar(Diagnosed and family history), and arthritis(diagnosed). In short, I could, any second, be as debilitated as you could with your ailments. Yet I STILL wouldn't go on SSI, etc...

Lightning88. You are a cute gregarious woman who seems to be perhaps lower/upper class. You also said you are smart, etc.... With a little work, you could be a nice manager, salesperson, or even a business owner or organizer. HECK, you said you want to be an architect. THAT could be up your alley. You could be a CPA, like your mother!

WHY would you want to look like a middle/lower class person and sacrifice what you have, with disability insurance?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 10:29 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Lightning88. You are a cute gregarious woman who seems to be perhaps lower/upper class. You also said you are smart, etc.... With a little work, you could be a nice manager, salesperson, or even a business owner or organizer. HECK, you said you want to be an architect. THAT could be up your alley. You could be a CPA, like your mother!

WHY would you want to look like a middle/lower class person and sacrifice what you have, with disability insurance?

Well, it's not really me. My mom tries to find any way she can to get extra money, even though we have more than enough as it is. I'm sure I could get some wonderful jobs and the only thing I really need to work on is controlling my emotions. Otherwise, I'm smart, social, outgoing, and a very nice person to be around in general. Currently, I want to either design custom homes or go into marketing. Of course, I need to start college first. :wink:

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 10:51 pm

yeah i'm on it too. i worked for 3 years and then finally exploded.. so if your working, still be prepared to get disability... cause it can screw up your life if you arent prepared... some family tragedies, stress at work and other matters could and probably will lead you to disability sooner or later

18 Oct 2007, 4:11 am

Yes I'm on it and I work. I got on it even when I was working but it was less than part time. I still have it but I am not getting any money from them right now because I make so much right now on my own and I want to be independant, not disabled for the rest of my life. I like to save money, not be forced to spend it because of the rule thing about not having over 2,000 dollars in my bank account. But thanks to SSI, it takes lot of stress off my back in case I get fired and I won't have to worry about not having any money and going broke because I'm not earning any.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 4:20 am

Well thats just f****n great, half of you who have it dont need it, I desperately need it but cant get it despite even being physically disabled.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 4:26 am

No I'm not but probably should. I do some work too but not enough to support myself. My understanding is in the UK it is pretty much not worth going on supplemented income, you are better off signing off altogether, which is not something I want to do. Tbh I'm terrified of the whole process and the stigma is high.

What's more I wouldn't be doing it because of depression because I don't even have clinical depression. It is like they don’t really understand any unseen illness other than depression.

I'm holding out a little longer (I don't want any poor tax payers to suffer :roll: ), if my dad gets ill then I will definitely do it if I haven't been able to turn things around for myself. That's what I want to do after all. It is a little more complex than just going on antidepressants. There isn’t any evidence that it is possible that I have seen, but I’m very ambitious so I’m just going to keep trying.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 5:31 am

Lightning88 wrote:
I really need to work on is controlling my emotions. Otherwise, I'm smart, social, outgoing, and a very nice person to be around in general. Currently, I want to either design custom homes or go into marketing. Of course, I need to start college first. :wink:

Something tells me that won't be a problem for you. I'm NOT social and outgoing, and that has hurt my prospects. I STILL do well, but I could probably make 2-3 times as much with half the work if I was social and outgoing. Unfair, and STUPID, but true.