Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 8:57 pm

PhilolovesJ wrote:
This is an interesting subject.
My guess for an aspie friendly city would be one with:

a tolerant and/or aloof/minding your own self vibe.
large amounts of other different types...techies/geeks/artsy folks/LGBT people
Intellectual/Literature/Art vibe
Good public transport would be important for many aspies as many can't drive .

My guesses?

New England has many places like this...Burlington,Vermont,Portland,Maine,Boston

WHOA! I am in burlington MA. Where should I go?

PhilolovesJ wrote:
NYC to an extent

DOUBT IT! 8-(

PhilolovesJ wrote:
Washington,DC actually fits it well

I didn't see it!

PhilolovesJ wrote:
Seattle and Portland Oregon fit
Denver and some other places in the west...maybe Alaska or Montana
The Bay Area and LA to a lesser extent.

LA? I was there for a LONG time, and never saw that good.

PhilolovesJ wrote:
My main guess is the more liberal,diverse and intellectual as well as aloof and big a place is the better it is.

Good luck finding a good aspie place!

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 9:33 pm

What are your experiences with cities in the South such as Birmingham, Atlanta, or Charlotte?

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2007, 9:39 pm

I prefer large cities like los angeles even though i'm outside of la I find that being in the city you have more health choices and more oppertunities to meet other aspies or go to college and it'd easier to get lost. But once someone sees you they can tell you're diffrent, at least they can't tell the whole city about you . I find it easy to be more NT-like with slip ups here and there. It's better to be around educated people especially those in the medical field.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2007, 10:02 pm

I would put Ann Arbor, MI high up on the list.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 6:53 pm

How about Vancouver, BC?

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

24 Oct 2007, 7:01 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
...aspie friendly city...

I recognize these words, and know their meanings... But when placed in series like this, they seem to cancel each other out to the point of becoming null. :?

A question I can't make sense of warrants an equivalent answer; the most aspie friendly city is the deep wilderness.

Good fortune,

- Icarus lives like Jolee Bindo on Kashyyyk...

grindmonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2011, 8:09 pm

I'll be sure to avoid Denver, plus I love the beach and its too cold.

I've lived in Youngstown all my life, pretty much, and while we have the resources, you need to know how to drive, which is a big issue with me. also girls tend to be real snobby and are easily creeped out especially in the preppier parts of town. in the city, its all ghetto and unless you dig rap music (I'm a fan of some pretty extreme stuff. industrial, grind, punk, death metal) its the pits.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 9:09 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Yes, Oregon is great!
Although you may want to come to the west side of the state because people who reside in Eastern Oregon are Aspie-phobic and think they are holier than thou!

Oregonians drink clean water all the damn time! :P

Portland is a great city to encounter. :P
Portland has great music & art scenes, along with awesome food scenes. :D
It is Aspie-friendly, but you may have to explain your Aspergers in three sentences. :)
We have bus, light rail, and streetcar. Tickets are $2. :)
There is also a tram, but tickets are $4, give the fact it cost $60 million to do. :evil:
It is a very popular bike-friendly city, so bring your bike! :P
Portland has seven colleges you can choose from, the most popular being Portland State University and Portland Community College, so Portland is a college city! :P

Portland is very liberal with great intellectuals who will welcome Aspies.
From best estimates, 20-30% of Portlanders fall into the LGBT Spectrum.

I could go on & on about Portland, but that is all I could come up with.

AMEN I happen to live in eastern oregon for the last 10 years, and it is horrible. I've lived lotsa places, all over the western US and the only place worse than eastern oregon was idaho. THis little town has quite a few redneck bullies in it

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:14 pm

I really don't believe there's a such place as an aspie friendly city. I've lived in many places, and nowhere have I been able to blend in.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

Chicago Ill. Maybe I'm biased because I lived there for the first ten years of my life, but there's so much diversity of population in chicago that people don't pay attention to quirky little things that Aspies tend to do. They just roll with the punches and are generally friendly.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

My guess would be Tokyo

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 9:18 am

Edinburgh - not only because it's relatively liberal, diverse and intellectual (having such a concentration of students), but crucially because of the facilities for people with autism spectrum conditions there.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

Angelus-Mortis wrote:
I would think that places near a university would be ideal

I think you're right. Universities completely change the character of an area, particularly in smaller cities. Small university towns in particular are a unique phenomenon.

For the same reason, I think pinpointing specific cities is missing the point. You can always point to counter-examples that make a particular city Aspie-friendly or not.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

From my perspective, finding a job is much easier if you live in or near a big city. Towns can not offer that diversity of job opportunities. I'd choose to live in the suburbs, where there's more green and space. Added bonus would be a nearby mountain where you can hike or bike. Finding friends like you would be easier too, you can use the internet to locate them, or look for people who share your special interests. And if you had enough of all of this, you can always spend your holiday on a place where you'd really like to be...

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

Wrackspurt wrote:
I've good things about Oregon.

I love it here. Oregon is my paradise. :)

Portland's alright, because of it's size. No one will likely know you right away. It's the smaller towns like Coos Bay, Summerville or Scappoose where people are really friendly.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm

fleurdelily wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Yes, Oregon is great!
Although you may want to come to the west side of the state because people who reside in Eastern Oregon are Aspie-phobic and think they are holier than thou!

Oregonians drink clean water all the damn time! :P

Portland is a great city to encounter. :P
Portland has great music & art scenes, along with awesome food scenes. :D
It is Aspie-friendly, but you may have to explain your Aspergers in three sentences. :)
We have bus, light rail, and streetcar. Tickets are $2. :)
There is also a tram, but tickets are $4, give the fact it cost $60 million to do. :evil:
It is a very popular bike-friendly city, so bring your bike! :P
Portland has seven colleges you can choose from, the most popular being Portland State University and Portland Community College, so Portland is a college city! :P

Portland is very liberal with great intellectuals who will welcome Aspies.
From best estimates, 20-30% of Portlanders fall into the LGBT Spectrum.

I could go on & on about Portland, but that is all I could come up with.

AMEN I happen to live in eastern oregon for the last 10 years, and it is horrible. I've lived lotsa places, all over the western US and the only place worse than eastern oregon was idaho. THis little town has quite a few redneck bullies in it

How about northern Idaho? I've lived in Tensed, and it's not so bad (except for all the dust and dirt). And why don't you live anywhere in western Oregon? I've lived all over the western side of Oregon, and I wasn't really disappointed.