Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2004, 7:46 am

Certain situations I can get bored with rather quickly. The most extreme example of me being bored happened on October 9, 1991. It was my schools annual sixth grade camp out. We went out to the school district facilities up in the point beach state forest where we were to spend three days and two nights of having educational fun. Day one was a disaster for me. Being in a totaly new environment, plus having a celine dion song stuck in my head, and not having access to a radio to flush it out, led me to having a breakdown. At about 5 that night I was overwhelmed, and I began crying hysterically in the bunks. I recovered enough to eat dinner, and carry on with the evening activities. At nine that night we were scheduled to have "story time". One of the teachers in my district was coming up to tell us a story called the "Green Rope" I don't remember the specifics, but on the schedule we were to only have "Story Time" for 15 minutes or so, then we were to go out to a telescope that was out there and go star gazing, but it was overcast that night so we got the long version of the "Green Rope". Since I've never really liked fiction, I quickly began spacing out after about 10 minutes. those 10 minutes turned into an agonizing 90 minutes of story time, anything to me was more interesting than that story. I watched the clock on the wall slowly advance, I listened to heater kick in and out, I dug my finger nails into the bench I was sitting on and rocking back and forth. Finally when I was about ready to have another breakdown, I noticed that the story reaching it's end, and I instantly felt much better. Turns out the "green rope" saved a bunch of mountain climbers from death. Too bad I don't remember the rest of the story.

But then again I don't think I'd want to.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2004, 12:41 pm

I am one of those types who gets bored very easily, unfortunately. When I was a young child, I didn't even believe the concept of boredom really existed; rather, I thought it was a fictional idea sometimes mentioned on television. The reason I get bored so easily nowadays is that I can't often do what I now crave most: social interaction. It's not very fun to do things alone; it's ten times as much fun to do them with a friend.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2004, 2:11 pm

I constantly like to be challenged too, and I mean that in the best of ways. Life's too short to be BORED!

Social interaction can be so wonderful... I often wonder what it's like for two animals to play together, and if they feel some of the same things in humans. Like lion cubs wrestling, and whatnot.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2004, 6:11 pm

This is a somewhat scary story. I was most bored in 1989/90, when I was 18. I was living in Poland then. This was my last year in high school. At the end of it there was an exam, which included, among other things, writing an essay on literature and passing an oral exam on the similar subject. So every schoolday we had Polish (i.e. literature) lessons, which went according to to the following schema: author - title - poem - symbols - what the author wanted to say - author - title - poem - ... and so on ad infinitum. As you can imagine, I was quite bored. However, because of the approaching exam, I did not allow myself to wander into the 5th dimension(*), but tried to keep with the teacher. Sometime in October a sudden thought occured to me, that if I were to suddenly raise and punch the teacher on the nose, the boredom would surely cease. The idea was easy to implement, because I was sitting in the first row. As insane as it was, the thought was clearly logical and difficult to refute. And so this quiet and obedient student, who never before got into trouble, spent every day of that school year desperately trying to control himself and putting all strength of his will into not hitting the literature teacher. Neither was I learning anything, nor having quality time in the 5th dimension, but in the end I prevailed and graduated from high school without punching the teacher's nose. Poor guy never knew in what danger he was! I actually had nothing against him. He was a very nice guy, and I liked him. It was all about stopping the intolerable boredom.

(*) I hope that you can figure out what it is, can't you?

:D :D :D

TyroneShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2004, 6:45 pm

Hi there

School is perpetual monotony in my opinion; broken occasionally by instances of confrontation and angst!

Punching your literature teacher in the nose would've been a fine idea, Magic! Similar thoughts occurred to me at many stages throughout my high-school education. :D The prospective of launching random verbal assaults upon various teachers appealed greatly - I too was the epitome of studious conscientiousness, so I doubt that such an event could have been anticipated.

Let's all be bored together :lol:

Taineyah
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2004, 7:20 pm

The bordest I've ever been was during my Grade 9 English (literature, poetry and grammar) Exam. I have an almost photographic memory when it comes to whe written word and I have impeccable grammar as well as being a child progidy in the spelling bee circle (I could probably still kick butt, but I got bored with that). It was a 1.5 hour exam, with no breaks and you couldn't leave until the end. We couldn't have books. We couldn't have CD Players. We couldn't speak.

I finished in twenty minutes. ( I would later find out that I got 100% in that exam)

I sat there for about thirty seconds after I finished and then started to panic. I started spinning around in my desk and generally freaking out--but as silently as I could so I wouldn't be kicked out and receive an automatic fail. I don't know how I got through it... but now I'm going into Grade 12 and I passed that course!

Dizzy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2004, 10:29 pm

I am the kind of person who also gets extremely bored very easily. I cannot recall the worst time though (there are way too many, perhaps in global history class this year?)

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 3:25 pm

I am so bored right now that I decided to resurrect a thread that is over a year old.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 3:34 pm

I don't get bored all *that* often, but when I am bored, I feel like I'm going to go insane. Like some others here, the times I have been most bored were on thos standardised tests when I finished so much earlier than anyone else, and had absolutely nothing else to do for the next hour or so. Argh....school is miserable.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 3:50 pm

I welcome times of boredom... it lets me go into my ideas more and think about things more thoroughly. Or I can just try to tap a complex polyrhythm, I can spend hours doing that. Or remembering funny movies/tv shows... or just ponder a koan. One thought I really like to think about is did God create the rules of Mathematics... or are the rules of Mathematics just a tool Man uses to understand what God has created... and when God does something it is beyond Mathematical rules.

But I guess these aren't stages of boredom... since I am actually doing something. So I guess I am rarely bored... in the pure sense of the word.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 5:14 pm

Hi, Scott.

I tend to be bored as well. Lately, things have been hard to take in. We have had a lot of company and many different people dealing with us. I just have not been able to deal with it, though.