aspiesavant wrote:
I do not need a cure.

I do not want a cure.

ok, so that complete self-denial is still alive and well

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 10:53 am

Speak for yourself...I don't want any cure, based on what autism is any 'cure' would either involve some kind of brain surgery for them to try and manually make our brains match up to a neurotypical, or some kind of drug that significantly alters brain structure, with likely many unpleasant side effects. I am fine with treatments and medications that can help unpleasant aspects/symptoms of my aspergers/autism and co-morbid conditions. As well as stigma in society being diminished towards people who function outside the range of 'normal'. If anything too many resources go into finding a 'cure' or simply preventing us from being born than attempting to make adjustments to society and spreading awareness about those of us who do exist in an effort to make our lives better. Its all 'oh your life must suck...we'll find the cure....' its like 'nah how about you help make my life suck less.' or don't go spouting about how my life must be anything. Searching for a cure they'll never find seems the real waste of time and resources.

Also not sure what you bring political correctness in for...that has nothing to do with it some people with autism do have lives that are ok, I mean my life could be a lot worse but its not that bad. And maybe some people like having aspergers because its all they have known...so being 'neurotypical' would be un-natural to them, just don't think its usually people pretending they like aspergers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 2:29 pm

I like being an aspie. I have many differences that I can celebrate. I also enjoy my ability to see outside the box and create many different art and crafts type creations. Another thing I like about myself, is my ability to look past the propaganda and influences of today's politics and popular culture and be myself, enjoying the things that I like. I also like how I sound accented because of my AS, because it makes me different from the rest of my immediate family. My fascination with all things London also matches it quite nicely. I really am not like everybody else, and that's the way I like it. As any logical WP member can see, I am not faking.