Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 2:58 am

I got the DVD's for the first season of Beauty and the Beast. Now that the autism spectrum has been more broadly defined, it seems like that series was sub consciously trying to show that there was a place for an aspy community, where the brilliant and sensitive weirdos can finally be accepted and respected and live rich, rewarding lives on their own terms.

Amarantha
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2007, 4:11 am

Is that the one with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman? I can't remember anything about it except that it was totally my favourite show when I was a teenager :)

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 5:26 am

You mean Aspie males right? Since Aspie females would have to be "Beauties" in order to be accepted into that community?

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 11:12 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
You mean Aspie males right? Since Aspie females would have to be "Beauties" in order to be accepted into that community?

Actually, one of the regulars in that series was Ellen Geer. She certainly doesn't have conventional beauty. I love her because she played Sunshine Dore' in Harold and Maude. Anyone who was in Harold and Maude is the best, imo.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 11:24 am

OregonBecky wrote:
Anyone who was in Harold and Maude is the best, imo.

I love that movie. :D

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2007, 12:31 pm

I disagree,
Aspies can be beautiful.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 12:39 pm

caramateo wrote:
I disagree,
Aspies can be beautiful.

That reminds me of when my daughter was dianosed as autistic. The doctor was trying to soften the blow he was imagining that we were feeling by saying that the autistic population was usually better looking than average. The irony there is that my daughter doesn't care if she's beautiful or not.

Once in her special ed class, the teacher showed me the Christmas tree that they decorated with the class's photos pasted on some sparkly paper and hung up on the branches. The teacher pointed to the top to my daughter's photo in a star, at the top of the tree. She said my daughter got that spot because she was the most beautiful in the class. I don't think that the teacher meant to sound mean but that was a mean thing to say because my daughter's class had a lot of deformed kids in it. Of course, my undeformed appearing daughter would be the "most beautiful" on the surface.