Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Nov 2007, 4:06 pm

I only like being called an "aspie" by other people on the autism spectrum.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2007, 4:51 pm

I don't mind at all.

It is lots better than some other things I have been called

ret*d Little Creep was one of the worst I ever heard.

After being called that, aspie sounds positively endearing.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Nov 2007, 6:57 pm

I'd been called unspecified weirdo so much, I'm kinna used to it. I don't use Aspie to think about myself much. I usually say I have Asperger's or AS. Aspie sounds odd to me right now. I might get used to it at some point. I guess I was so used to being called weirdo that maybe that should be the diagnosis name.

It doesn't matter to me what they call it. They can call it blue with yellow polka dots disease. All I care about is that my son gets the right help that he needs because of it.

He even likes weirdo. It's not a bad thing at our house.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2007, 9:36 pm

i only use the term here on WP to refer to others and myself.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 9:38 pm

yes i even call myself an aspie all the time, it makes me feel like i'm something different and allows me to seperate myself from humanity.

i'll even go as far as labeling others as "humans" kind of like a villian on a movie or game does.

it makes me feel like i'm something, like i have something that others lack.

whodat54321
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2007, 9:41 pm

I only get called this my a close friend if I do something obviously in line with the disorder (mainly social graces and other annoying small things), not as a put down, but to remind me that I've slipped up and need to slow down, and remember some formalities expected by the n-t world.

jazzguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2007, 10:03 pm

Really? You mean other non-AS people call you an "aspie?" Where did they get that term from?
I never heard it until I found this website. Come on, folks. "Aspie." I mean really. It's ridiculous. Well it is, it's ridiculous. Why be called anything? What, is this some kind of club?
The only people who call anybody aspies are "aspies," and for some reason some of them seem to enjoy calling themselves that, like it's a badge of honor. Well it's not. It's stupid. What do you do, tell your friends to call you that? f*****g stupid.
There is absolutely no dignity in such a term. It's like something you say to a child to calm it down. I'm sure that this isn't going to go over well but what the hell. Look, if you want to be an "aspie" then that's what you want and good luck to you. But maybe you're thinking about all this too much. There IS life out there, you know.

Taimaat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2007, 6:05 am

My mom likes to call me aspie all the time. She always said a lot of the things I do are aspie. For instance, according to her, the following things are "aspie"

1. Not looking at someone when you talk to them or on camera.
2. Drawing people from the back instead of the front.
3. fidgeting and moving ones legs while sitting down.
4. Taking to long to make decisions.
5. Thinking about things before you do them. (I used to be told I was too impulsive.)
6. Being able to communicate with people over the Internet on something like a free software project without meeting them in person and getting "the face time"
7. Watching YouTube videos instead of watching TV.
8. Not needing the real life social time.
9. Being brutally honest with people.

I guess no matter what I do, I can't win. So I just teased my cat "don't sit like that, now we know you are a cat." I guess thats sort of the pointlessness of pretending to be NT isn't it. And yes, my mom is a computer programmer, so she does have some aspie traits, although she needs way too much "social" to be a good programmer.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 6:39 am

jazzguy wrote:

The only people who call anybody aspies are "aspies," and for some reason some of them seem to enjoy calling themselves that, like it's a badge of honor.

Well maybe it is a sort of badge of honour ;) .

I am proud to be an aspie. I could have been born an NT but I wasnt and I never will be one. I actually have come to enjoy being different, and I enjoy the way I view the world.

The way I see it, someone had to have AS, and that someone turned out to be me.

I can see how some people would view it as a complete burden though... my existance is pretty screwed up because of it. It has been a difficult life so far.

Taking a break.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 6:54 am

Always classed as other, undefined, and ugly versions of same.

Never heard Aspie anywhere but here, it is what we have for group identity.

I do not identify with the medical term, I am not a germ.

Aspie could just as well relate to excess computer time, plus animation. Same results.

AS = Aussie Syndrom,

when you speak English, other English speakers do not understand you, or you them,

What is humorous to one is a mystery to the other,

Jestures, body language, and use of eyes, stare, direction, intensity, are very different.

Stims, Aussie Salute, not found in other cultures, often taken as offensive or threatening.

Goals, entertainment, hobbies, interests, intense and not common in other English cultures.

Strong resistance to therapy, change, and promotes self medication.

Having two hands, invented the two handed beer can.

Aussie was meant as an insult, they missed that and liked it. Now morphed into Ozzie, a bloke from OZ.

Considers The Wizard of Oz the greatest work in the English language, which explains everything on every level.

Ozzie Syndrom, OS, AKA, Operating System, as in, Me mate's OS is DOS, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Upgrade and reboot!

Tends to coin words and terms which have no set meaning in their own language and culture.

whitbywoof
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2007, 8:09 am

I don't really like the word 'aspie' but then I have an aversion to abbreviations in general. I certainly don't consider it an insult, particularly as it is used prolifically on sites like this.

When I do something noticeably non-NT, my partner takes great delight in calling me "Aspie Freak". This is a term of endearment between us and is never meant maliciously. As with many words, I believe it is the context in which a word is used rather than the word itself that matters.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:37 am

jazzguy wrote:
I don't consider myself an "aspie." What a stupid name. I have asperger's, but I'm a human being and I won't be labeled as anything, nor do I see why anyone else should. Anyway it's just too cute sounding. Who came up with that one? I mean really...if you start thinking of yourself as an "aspie" then what does that make you? That's right, an "aspie," god almighty how could you call youself that? Some misguided person is sure to name his daughter that one of these days. "Aspie Cameron" or some sh**. It'll be the next "Heather!" Or "Stacy." Or one of those popular names, wait and see.
I'll be amazed if before I die I don't hear of at least one girl named "Aspie." It's just too...cute.
Well that's just what I think about it.
Dude...that's exactly the reason that some people use it. It's a cutesy, disarming term designed partially to promote tolerance among neurotypicals. You don't have to use it on yourself. If you want a better term, there's always "Aspergian."

Maeotian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2007, 9:28 am

Yeah, Aspie is nice, but "Aspergian" sounds better.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 9:34 am

Maeotian wrote:
Yeah, Aspie is nice, but "Aspergian" sounds better.
Its not like AS is a religion lol..
But anyway, I hate how nts are so concerned with making us change for what they see as the better, and they cant just accept us for who we are.. In general I would like to just be called "human".. Rather than be seen as a subhuman by everyone.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Nov 2007, 9:44 am

No, I wouldn't want to be called human. Look how screwed up humanity in general is. I think I would much better like to be weirdo or freak. At least I know what they mean!

cruachan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2007, 10:57 am

Well, aspie is much shorter and easier to write, pronounce, make witty lines with, etc., and it suits my outlook on diversity. And "aspie dyke" just sounds friggin' great together :-D