Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 12:26 am

http://www.bookblog.net/gender/genie.html

You cut and paste text into it, and it tells you what gender you sound like!

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 12:53 am

It guessed my gender correctly.

I've seen it before, and haven't seen it fail on anyone. It's eery!

P.S. That is, I haven't seen it fail when given more than a couple sentances. When given Sarcastic Name's one sentance post, it said the author was female! :D

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 1:10 am

It suggests using posts of at least 500 words.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 1:43 am

It nearly always thinks I'm male. Just tested it on a bunch of combined posts here, and my blog, and it still thinks I'm male.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 2:14 am

This is my text:

Quote:
This is a test of the gender genie. I do not think it will be correct because I think it will not have the requisite number of options.
I like the idea of using an algorithm to guess gender because it is as good a method as any doctor might use.
I found this page on WrongPlanet. I am not sure how to come to 500 words. I might post something from a blog, but I don't know what would happen with that information. There is nothing that says it would not become public property.
Why would anyone want to predict the gender of an author? Why wouldn't we already know? And if they wanted to hide it, shouldn't we protect their privacy?
I wonder if there is an option for transgender. I wonder if this makes mistakes when people with alternative lifestyles paste text? I would also be interested to see what happened for vampires.

This was for 158 words. It predicted I was female. According to the stats fewer than 500 words is more likely to incorrectly predict female gender. Next I will try something from a blog.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 2:24 am

I put in a thousand words and it thought I was female.

azalynn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2005, 2:25 am

I've put in huge chunks of my LJ and it pretty much always guesses me as male (I'm not.) I also scored well into the "male" range on the BBC gender test (I'll hunt down the link if anyone is interested). I am not really surprised by any of this -- because of my AS or genetics or *something* I have always related much better to males than females, and my identity is more generally masculine than feminine, though I'd consider myself straight and certainly not interested in changing the gender of my body. I just don't think my body parts matter very much at all.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 2:31 am

Here's one from a blog:

Quote:
The next step was mediation.

Five of them - my supervisor, her boss, the CEO, the agency lawyer and I guess the clinical vice president or whatever he is, against me and the union guy, who tried to cut a deal. I was late because he told me noon and the meeting was at 11. I had my IPAQ out and wrote the time there so I wouldn't forget.

He wanted them to combine both grievances and then do some garbage about agreeing to disagree and the warning would stay in my file., with the idea that if they tried to bring another disciplinary action it would open the grievance back up and it would go to arbitration.

They refused everything, and tried to discredit me by saying that I was unhappy, and that I was paranoid.

Then they tried to say that I arranged the disappearance of the last missing document to prove that things could go missing.

I don't need to do that. All I need to do is write things like yesterday when my co-worker told me a file I found on a desk in the conference room had been there for two days. Or the day that the change of shift file went missing and XXXXXXX had put it in her drawer with the blank phone contacts. Or today when I went through a client's file to find a sec 12, and the copy was missing and the 12 was still active. Talk about liability. They can't change the fact that it is missing because it is in the client's file in medical records at CDH. Anything they put in the chart will be an obvious fake. Of course they could always say that I took it out. But how would I know in advance that that would be needed or checked?

They are crazier than I am. At least I have an investment in the truth. But to risk perjury to prove only that you are right? No, that's not crazy. That's just stupid.

I fully intend on giving these yahoos as much rope as they want. Amazing that they are pursuing it. Someone is bound to believe me. Statistically it is impending.

The best part was validation by the mediator. He was mystified as to why they didn't want to negotiate. He cost them $1200. ServiceNet and the union had to split it. Finally getting my money's worth from the union.

Clearly the tide has turned. The mediator saw some benefit in compromise and he thought my offer was fair, that since there is a disagreement about the existence of a pattern, that if the pattern doesn't occur, they remove the warnings.

Their response was they can't do that because they never did it before. They also balked at the time period - 10 months. I would say that if something doesn't occur in ten months, you could not say a pattern is occurring.

The mediator agreed.

That was the best part - an outside party agreed with me.

This one is 505 words. It's from a blog on this site. This time it predicted I was male. I probably broke a record for using the word "the" - 34 times. It's more accurate with 500 and over words. The word "the" is weighted by 17 points. The word "him" is weighted by 78 points. Kind of makes you think.
I really do use the word "the" a lot....
8)

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Sarah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2005, 7:46 am

I used 7477 words, it correctly guessed that I was female but my female score wasn't much higher than my male score.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 10:10 am

woot!

Said I was male, correct. I used a 520 word rumination. . .That no one will read outside of myself.

Nothing to see here. Move along!

Quote:
What we perceive is largely a function of what we want/expect to see. For example, read Paris in the the spring time and most likely, the first time through one will see it as “Paris in the springtime”, when it is actually is “Paris in the the springtime”. Even when one catches the error it is assumed to be a mistake of the author, and thus is “corrected” to what it MUST mean. So in this way we rely on our preconceptions of what the world MUST be like in order to make sense of what we know. Unfortantly the universe is complex in such a way that one can find just about anything he is looking for in it. I think the variety and differences in the ways religion attempts to explain the world easily attests to this “finding of the one truth” in our natural world. Strangely enough this phenomenon has been creeping into the study of History for probably ever since a scribe somewhere began taking notes on what was occurring in the inner circle of power in some aciencnt city. A history is really not about anything other than ideals and power, which is why so much of history is concerned with politics, wars and revolution. The peace is only noteworthy if a struggle of politics occurs. Wars are a conflict of power and ideals, politics are a conflict of power and ideals, and revolutions are a conflict of power and ideals. Many people have complained about history not being concerned about everyday life, and they are correct in that regard. Where they go wrong is when they suggest history ought to cover the everyday struggle of the Everyman, of which I will summerize completely in the next paragraph. Life is sh***y. Enough said. See why this is not really covered in history? Now, if one wants to see the semantics of exactly how sh***y life is for different people, I suggest anthropology, which concerns itself with the everyday life in culture. Now, what is the good in studying the record of power and ideals? First, they give us some idea of what would probably work in our cultures and what was clearly rejected, and what is needed to sustain our cultures. Secondly, they provide a background to the circumstances that produced our governments and give a understanding as to why they where created. In this function, history legitimizes and sanctions government by serving as a living social contract. Unfortantly, with history serving as a social contract, the need to percieve things differently arises for different factions with different goals. For example, just consider the different ways to read Paris in the the springtime In order to resolve the problem of the two the’s, one can deliberatly ignore the first the. Another can ignore the second the. Yet another can read it and claim that the the’s cancel each other and it reads “Paris in springtime” For the perfect example of this, look at politicians when they argue whether the founding fathers where devout and godly Christians or if they where deist rebels

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 10:52 am

I just wrote some stuff I like. It thought I was male. 8 female 18 male. :lol:

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2005, 11:16 am

I put 628 words of one of my WP posts in and it said I was female

(which I'm not by the way)

-----------------------------------------------------------

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 12:03 pm

Something wrote of a personal nature:
Words: 416
Female Score: 579
Male Score: 387

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

Something written for work purposes:
Words: 2131
Female Score: 1606
Male Score: 2512

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!

My resume:
Words: 823
Female Score: 591
Male Score: 382

Blog entry
Words: 620
Female Score: 1509
Male Score: 1081

So pretty good and I would agree that I write for work much different than anyother time. After all I am a Project Coordinator and that type of reporting requires a more technical type of writing. It was however hard for me to find a lot of personal writting.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2005, 12:03 pm

It was correct half the time for me. It was wrong with the longest text and the shortest one also. I think that predicting the gender of a person is hard to do based on solely the number of times a word appears.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2005, 12:04 pm

What is the link to the BBC test ?

azalynn

14 Aug 2005, 12:10 pm

Here's the link to the BBC test. It's rather long (about 30 minutes if you take your time) but rather fun as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/add_user.shtml?users=1