Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 2:35 pm

Seriously, I said before, what brought me here is because I was trying to look up info on Autism in general, cause I was hired at a place with an Autistic co-worker, and realized (even if it turns out that isn't really what's wrong with me) I have a heck of a lot of Aspie traits myself.

But putting that aside really, now I'm seriously ticked off... it was obvious to me from the start what was going on, but since he came right out and said it, I'm really mad. I was basically hired in to this store at a position slightly above cashier. It turns out my co-worker really wanted this job. And the only reason the store will not promote him (I guess they won't directly tell him) is because he's Autistic, the store will not give me any other good reason, and from what I have gathered, and based on what he said to me, might not have told him that at all.

No sense whatsoever! He told me he has a business degree! I don't! And what in the world am I doing that he couldn't do? And in reality, I don't have a business degree, he knows a lot more about running a store than I do!

Seriously, he's telling me how to do things... it's so not right I feel like quiting. Plus I can't seem to remember where anything is in the store, which is bad too. He at least remembers, though like me if he's not sure he'll ask someone else about it cause I don't want to tell people we don't have something we do. Anyway, I know he doesn't hold it against me, as far as I can tell, he understands it's not my fault, but to make it worse, the managers call him stupid behind his back... it's obvious he doesn't express himself like others, but so what, he's not stupid! I admit, I've said not nice things about people before to others, and I actually feel horrible for that, but ghaw!

To make it worse, the only thing they complain about him not doing well is something he doesn't have to really do anyway 8O Maybe he insists on doing this particular task himself, that's the only thing I can think of, I remember being awfully insistent when I was young, but on the other hand, I'm actually sure I remember the manager saying something he has to do that task himself because of his Autism... But now he thinks he's doing a bad job at the store and they are going to fire him because of that :cry:
There's no reason for it. I seriously want to talk to the manager about this, but when I try I just can't and I revert back to agreeing with him when I really don't. I want to just say to the manager "Seriously, are you only not promoting him because he is labeled as Autistic, when the reality is he would probably do a much better job at these tasks than I can?" :cry:

Long story short, how common is it for Autistics to be treated this way?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Deccajay
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 4:58 pm

I am sorry for the stress you feel, and what you and your coworker have to go threw. it is a harsh world. And the terrible truth is its not just autistics. Its anyone with a lable, or a crush, anyone who looks differnt or doesnt act in a why that is concidered "normal". Unfortunetly, people are treated this way. I wish I could be of more help.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Deccajay

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 7:04 pm

Your thread made me angry and I discussed it with my husband, who has worked for the same company for 13 years (not consecutively). He says he's run across at least 3 employees in the same boat. And at one time, he was also treated this way. Currently he is counselling employees who are mistreating a coworker who is likely autistic.
You can't do too much if they are not saying why he's not being promoted. Or if they are just saying things about his disposition.
However, if they are actually using terms like autism or autistic in relation to his treatment, performance or promotability then that is discrimination.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 7:33 pm

Its horrible, isn't it?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 11:37 pm

KimJ wrote:
Your thread made me angry and I discussed it with my husband, who has worked for the same company for 13 years (not consecutively). He says he's run across at least 3 employees in the same boat. And at one time, he was also treated this way. Currently he is counselling employees who are mistreating a coworker who is likely autistic.
You can't do too much if they are not saying why he's not being promoted. Or if they are just saying things about his disposition.
However, if they are actually using terms like autism or autistic in relation to his treatment, performance or promotability then that is discrimination.

Yes, I keep getting that over and over again he's not getting promoted because of his Autism. He was very clearly communicating to me that it wasn't fair they were treating him this way because he's different in a few ways, he never used the word Autism at all, though actually I will admit he does appear to have Autism based on the definitions I have read. He says they won't even talk to him about it. I didn't even have to ask him about this, I thought it might be happening, and he randomly said it to me today. I even told the manager he was upset about it, and I got the stupid response that he can't even describe his own emotions, so how could he be upset :x

At least I've calmed down a bit, but I still don't know what to say, this like everything is bothering me so much it effects how well I'm doing at work... if I can't think straight, then I can't help.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 2:15 am

get it on audio

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 3:42 am

Common.

Pensive, passive and not demanding/imposing all leads to people taking advantage of us; many of us can do well concerning a single facet of employment, sometimes really, really well, far in excess of what you'd think compared to our "position". However, since we're the quiet loners who don't appear to want much (we usually don't, so it works out I guess till abuse enters the picture), we'll be held down by the majority.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 6:29 am

Your empathy warms my heart.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 6:47 am

Angnix wrote:
Long story short, how common is it for Autistics to be treated this way?

I'm lucky in that I work for a university, and we have training courses on working with people (staff & students) with AS. If only more employers were that understanding, the world would be a much better place.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Nov 2007, 6:48 am

Krista, you said how I felt too :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it were because your friend had autism. I have the same difficulties. I don't even tell people I know or bosses about aspergers either. There was one time though where someone fired me from a job for being a little different. I fought until I got my job back and he ended up getting fired and I stayed the course of the job and after a while others started to get used to me and didn't treat me so bad.

It does suck when people rely so much on first impressions and you are horrible with setting a good first impression.

It's nice that you care about this person and how they must feel! I wonder what would happen if you told your boss that you most like have aspergers.

xx Dan Monster