Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2007, 4:27 pm

how does it effect you??

for me, cardboard is my main enemy. even the thought of touching it makes my skin crawl and my ears hurt. also, paper bags, and some paper have the same effect. i don't like the sound of markers on paper or some pencils on paper, either. when i was in elementary school, i use to plug my ears while writing, because i didn't like the sound. i also won't walk on the grass bare-footed.. i always assumed it was mostly because i was afraid of being bitten or stung by some bug, but my mom says i didn't like to be on the grass as a baby, either. she said when she tried to put me down on the grass, i would curl my legs up to avoid it and start crying. i don't like lotion, either... i just don't like the texture. also, i can't stand the seam of socks, so i've worn my socks in-side-out for as long as i can remember. i also don't like the feel of velvet, and i hate some cotton balls, and having cotton or dry paper towels in my mouth, and... well, there's a lot more little things, too.. but those are the main ones.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 4:39 pm

YES. I'm recognizing myself, here.
The scratchy sound of cheap fountain pens on peper used to cause meltdowns... And I still can't write or draw on some kinds of paper, it makes my skin crawl. Of course, that caused quite a lot of problems during school time, what when I couldn't write on test forms and stuff...
However, at least one good thing came from it: By now, I own a VERY nice collection of fountain pens that aren't scratchy or uncomfortable at all... Expensive, but they do the job. :lol: And, of course, they're beautiful. By the way, some of my NT friends have started buying expensive writing stuff too, I guess they're considering it some sort of fashion statement...
There's also some clothes I can't wear and foods I won't eat because I can't stand their texture.

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 4:39 pm

I can't stand sound of chewing and kissing. It makes me want to drive my fist through a wall.

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2007, 7:11 pm

I can't stand velvet either. I used to not be able to stand other, similar materials, but I think that's partially subsided with age. Wool is another material I stay away from; it's too scratchy.

Also, I can't eat some foods, mainly vegetables, because I simply cannot stand the texture.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Nov 2007, 7:21 pm

beautifuloblivion wrote:
I can't stand sound of chewing and kissing. It makes me want to drive my fist through a wall.

Me, too. When watching a movie where there is a kissing scene, I hit the mute button. I once read this humorous book about kissing, and it described a kiss as the sound a cow's hoof makes when it first sinks into, and then pulls out of a mud puddle.

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2007, 7:22 pm

I can't stand grass either. Also the cottonball, paper towel, and vegetable texture thing bothers me, too. It makes a weird squeaking noise...

But I have to ask, how can you plug your ears and write at the same time? :?

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2007, 7:26 pm

Styrafoam. Styrafoam is horrible. It's like fiingernails on the chalkboard, but 100X worse.

Very high- pitched noises- like my 4 y/o squealing.

Beeping, constant beeping. I can't stand timers, alarm clocks, etc. I try my best to even get to the microwave a few seconsd before things are done so that I can open the door before it starts to beep. Beeping drives me insane. LOL!

Chewing also drives me nuts.

Seams in clothing are terrible. Tags are worse and have to be cut out-always. Socks have to fit perfectly smooth and have to have seamless toes. I can't stand anything tght around my waist- I'd rather be constantly pulling up my sagging pants than wear a belt.

Certain fabrics also bug me. I can't stand rayon, nylon, synthetic stuff. Wool is horribly itchy and will drive me nuts. I made the mistake of buying a nice wool jaket last winter that I will rarely wera because it's too itchy. I like soft cotton, especially thermal knot/waffle weave- and ithas to be ultra soft. I have so many clothes that hang in my closet and never get work because I don't like how they fit or the fabric, etc.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Nov 2007, 7:41 pm

i'm extremely hyper sensative to noise especially at nite. so much so that i could hear electricity in the lightbulbs and it would bother the heck out of me disrupting mah beauty sleep

Last edited by richardbenson on 08 Nov 2007, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 7:49 pm

Women with low pitched voices bother me (especially "grandma" voices that have been smoking cigarettes for many years); it gives the feeling of someone scratching their nails on a chalkboard (I guess I need to marry a woman with a soprano voice?). Also, I hate anything that is gooey! Yuck! It seems that I have had that problem since infancy - for my mother gave me a chocolate cake for my first birthday, and there is video footage of me touching the icing, and giving a "ewwww" look. lol Repeating beeps can give me a problem sometimes. I am extremely sensitive to music too. Many pieces, for which I have listened to, have made me cry or laugh hysterically. Other than that, I seem to handle other things as well as I can.

beauteousday
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2007, 7:58 pm

i hate velvet too, it feels disgusting. i also hate the feeling of flannel and silky things. I also hate bedsheets that aren't 100% cotton. because then you're body heat makes it too hot and i feel like i'm going to crawl out of my skin.

I hate the sound of kissing too, and people eating bananas.

I can always hear mosquitoes in the summer, whether or not they're in my room or not.

hmm, what else.

i can't stand wearing shoes without socks

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 8:03 pm

Tastes and sounds probably affect me the most. I'm a very picky eater and I'm sensitive to loud sounds, especially sudden loud sounds. I also have some auditory processing problems. My left ear seems to give me no end of problems though, not having to do with sensory issues but with wax build up, infections or who knows what. I have a pretty sensitive sense of touch too, but it's more tolerable. Still I don't like being kissed or hugged by people other than family and I'm pretty sensitive to pain. Smell is pretty normal for me, but sometimes hyposensitive. Sight is pretty normal too.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2007, 8:52 pm

Just the thought of the sound of somoene biting into a Popsicle makes me want to rip my own teeth out.

I also can't stand dry skin, the sound of people eating or kissing, whistling, animals drinking/eating/licking themselves, tapping, beeping, being able to hear a muffled TV or music from another room...
I need to have the TV/radio at a certain volume, because it's easily too loud and too soft bothers me. If anyone even thinks about tickling me or touching my armpit, I'll probably hit them. I hate lukewarm water.
And the list goes on. And on.

Oh, and I wear my socks in-side out, too! lol

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2007, 9:01 pm

I don't want to see or hear anyone brushing their teeth.
The worst is when people on tv are talking with a toothbrush in their mouth.
I don't let my husband see me brushing my teeth either.
It's just so disgusting.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2007, 9:06 pm

Well, high pitched noise can bother me, but all the years of listening to really loud music have dulled that. And Styrofoam, oh my lord, like Jennyfoo said, it drives me nuts.

I cannot stand anything tight around my wrists, neck or ankles. I do not wear ties, buttoned collars, watches, bracelets, socks or sweatpants with elastic ankle cuffs. Shirt sleeves must be loose at the wrists and I usually push them up onto my forearms.

I cannot stand light touches, they drive me insane.

jazzguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2007, 9:07 pm

Noise, any noise. I cannot stand noise. To me a faucet dripping is noise. General city sounds are okay, though, because I'm used to that. Helicopters I find annoying though.
Loud televisions or radios. I can't think when that's going on.
The sound of people chewing food is disgusting to me.
If I'm in a bar and a few guys are yelling and shouting it rather upsets me.
You know how people seem to be talking in these high-pitched whiny voices these days? That bugs the s**t out of me, especially when it's girls doing it.

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2007, 9:19 pm

SMELL! OMG OMG OMG SMELL!! !! ! there never goes a day when i dont smell somethign that makes me want to vomit.

oranges smell f*cking disgusting, so do bananas and tomatoes.

bathroom oders are the worst! andd throwup! OMG im making my self sick thinking about it.