Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2007, 7:12 pm

I find t-shirts, bags, mousepads and more but I want an Autism Spectrum Disorder anti-cure key chain. The kind where the puzzle is crossed out, or that have 'I'm not broken don't fix me' and similar messages.

Can anyone help me find one?

Uhura

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2007, 7:45 pm

This would be the closest I could find for you. I did have fun looking and I found some nice puzzle keychains!

Free Range Aspie Keychain

http://www.zazzle.com/webcarve/product/ ... tPageRecs2

Frik-n-Frak (Puzzle Keychains)

http://www.frik-n-frak.com/products_byprice_2-1-1.html

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2007, 1:31 am

Uhura, I'm with you on the anti-cure keychain, except for the crossed out puzzle piece, because I like puzzles. The Free Range Aspie Keychain LadyBug posted a link to was cool. I don't know if they came in keychains but on of the designs on cafepress had a picture of Einstien with the phrase "where would we be if he was cured" on it and ones with pictures of several suspected autistics like him and Edison with the same phraee only they instead of he. Maybe you can find a place that makes keychains and have an anti-cure one made.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 1:35 am

Hmm...

I personally like the puzzle logo myself, even with the stigma it gets from most of us.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Apollyon
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2007, 1:39 am

I like puzzles, so I'd say nay on the crossed-out puzzle.

I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Autism: Smart brain, stupid world!"
I want that on a keychain or a shirt so bad! :lol:

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 2:04 am

where did you find all that stuff?

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2007, 6:40 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
where did you find all that stuff?

Do a Google search for:

Anti-Cure Autism Activism

http://www.autistart.com/browsedesigns.htm

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2007, 11:39 am

I don't understand this position. Are you against people giving you the 'cure' or research on it altogether?

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Nov 2007, 11:53 am

pedrobear Cafepress has tons of autism stuff and they will also make stuff you design and sell it. I have the "Would you recongnize it if you saw it" shirt, has that saying at the top w/ pictures of Einstien, Mark Twain, Newton, ect. ect. Got my daughter a Hoddy that says "Freeze, I have autism and I'm not afraid to use it." They really do have a ton of stuff so go check it out. I'm off to the Ladybug site. Hi Ladybug! :D

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2007, 12:39 pm

Hello reika,

Be sure to check-out the Tucker-Jones House, Inc. maker of the Tavern Puzzles, being one of my favorites.

Frick-n-Frack

http://www.frik-n-frak.com/links/frik-n ... urces1.htm

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 3:21 pm

The crossed out Puzzle piece doesn't mean they hate puzzles. There is a post-cure group named Autism Speaks that uses a puzzle piece as it's little image.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 3:41 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
The crossed out Puzzle piece doesn't mean they hate puzzles. There is a post-cure group named Autism Speaks that uses a puzzle piece as it's little image.

Yes, but there are anti-cure/pro-awareness groups who also use it.

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2007, 5:35 pm

of

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2007, 6:42 pm

Thanks for all the ideas.

I am against the cure because I feel ASD is sort of like a culture. We shouldn't say people in other cultures need to be cured. AS is part of me and it's not something I'd want to change. Sure it has it's problems but I also know that if I didn't have AS I would just have different problems. I'll keep the ones I have.

I'm not really against research. I am against it leading to a forced cure.

I feel the puzzle piece only emphases that something is wrong. There are famous people who, if they lived today, probably would have been been diagnosed as on the spectrum. The puzzle peice is too negative and to me only represents that attitude that we should be cured and forced into the NT world.

Uhura

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2007, 7:16 pm

Yeah, the determination movement somehow turned into a hate movement, springing a culture.

DON'T MOURN FOR US
by Jim Sinclair

[This article was published in the Autism Network International newsletter, Our Voice, Volume 1, Number 3, 1993. It is an outline of the presentation Jim gave at the 1993 International Conference on Autism in Toronto, and is addressed primarily to parents.]

Parents often report that learning their child is autistic was the most traumatic thing that ever happened to them. Non-autistic people see autism as a great tragedy, and parents experience continuing disappointment and grief at all stages of the child's and family's life cycle.

But this grief does not stem from the child's autism in itself. It is grief over the loss of the normal child the parents had hoped and expected to have. Parents' attitudes and expectations, and the discrepancies between what parents expect of children at a particular age and their own child's actual development, cause more stress and anguish than the practical complexities of life with an autistic person.

Some amount of grief is natural as parents adjust to the fact that an event and a relationship they've been looking forward to isn't going to materialize. But this grief over a fantasized normal child needs to be separated from the parents' perceptions of the child they do have: the autistic child who needs the support of adult caretakers and who can form very meaningful relationships with those caretakers if given the opportunity. Continuing focus on the child's autism as a source of grief is damaging for both the parents and the child, and precludes the development of an accepting and authentic relationship between them. For their own sake and for the sake of their children, I urge parents to make radical changes in their perceptions of what autism means.

snip

Balance at:

http://ani.autistics.org/dont_mourn.html

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 7:25 pm

Uhura wrote:

I feel the puzzle piece only emphases that something is wrong. There are famous people who, if they lived today, probably would have been been diagnosed as on the spectrum. The puzzle peice is too negative and to me only represents that attitude that we should be cured and forced into the NT world.

Somehow I just don't see that (regarding the puzzle piece, that is). As I pointed out, anti-cure groups use it too. Heck, I use it.

But you have your opinions, and I have mine.