Asperger's Syndrome and the Internet Troll

Page 4 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

We have met the Troll, and the Troll is...
Us aspies 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
Socially guileful NTs with a penchant for winding us up while posing as our kind 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Neither aspie nor NT but rather some other creature entirely 11%  11%  [ 15 ]
No more likely to be aspie than NT (i.e., no correlation) 41%  41%  [ 56 ]
Aspie trolls differ from NT trolls 17%  17%  [ 23 ]
I do not believe in the Troll 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 137
02 Dec 2008, 10:33 pm

AspieMartian wrote:
I've known many Aspies and HF auties in real life, and I've known none that troll online. Most avoid online forums because they dislike the contention and conflict. From personal experience and my study of autism, I do not think, as a norm, that Aspies and auties have conflict-seeking personalities. They can get argumentive over things they feel intensely about - but that's NOT the same as being generally conflict-seeking. If someone with as ASD is conflict-seeking, I would suspect the individual has some other psychological issue that makes them such. Either that, or they have been mis'dx'd as autistic.

Because many trolls are glib - or attempt to be - I am disinclined to think they have an ASD. Glibness is something that most autisitics just don't possess. Sociopaths, yes, but autistics, no.

Since there's the possibilty that trolling behavior might be indicative of someone who IS both glib and conflict-seeking, and these traits are more indicative of a sociopath than an autistic, I'm more inclined to think that they are sociopaths. Sociopaths can also possess the traits you list. I also don't consider sociopaths really "NTs" because they're obviously disturbed in someway that makes them behave contrary to what we ascribed to an NT. In many cases, sociopaths may have impaired neurology (usually a frontal lobe impairment) at the root of their behavior, and that would mean they are not clinically "neurotypical."

I've seen apsies that trolled. I have seen them talking about it at other forums. Look at Zomg, some aspies from there have spammed here or trolled. Trolling is just a human thing, not an NT thing.

People do it because they have nothing better in their lives so they are bored and do it. Some do it because they don't like the owner on the forum. They do it for many reasons and I only listed two.

Why do people have to let it bother them, why do they have to respond to them? That's what they want. Trolls don't bother me unless I don't know they are one. I can remember one troll here making dumb ass posts and when I realized he might be one, I stopped responding to his threads and taking him seriously.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:40 pm

Thats true, TRUE trolls (not someone who you just don't like) WANT the attention and purposely harass others to GET the attention they are dying to have. If you don't respond to them, then they don't get the attention that they crave and become bored. It's so easy to become trapped by a troll and to respond to their attacks... and therefore their trolling is continued. But remember one thing, if they are not given the attention they "need".. they'll get bored and find somewhere else to troll.

02 Dec 2008, 10:43 pm

I started a thread a while go about innocent people being accused of trolls. People throw that word around because they are sore losers. They don't like what someone says so they call that person a troll. They didn't like they were told off or proven wrong so they call that person a troll. They don't like someones point of view or someone doesn't agree with them, they call that person a troll.

"Troll" is over used. I will not call someone a troll for those reasons I listed above. It's being a sore loser. On another forum, someone told me if someone calls you a troll and you are not, they are the troll, not you. So yes people can be trolls here when they throw that word around. You can be a regular member and still be a troll. There is also trollish behavior where you use foul or abusive language.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 11:17 pm

anbuend wrote:
Trolling is a choice. It's not the same as being literal or hotheaded, or half the other things you list. Trolls deliberately try to start flamewars. Inadvertently getting involved in them, or inadvertently starting them, is not trolling. I am starting to get the impression that some people use the word "troll" as a shorthand for "I don't like this person". :?

Aha, and to further add to confusion, some people seem to think that because all trolls are annoying, all annoyances are trolls. This makes no more sense than thinking because all Medieval nuns were women, all women are Medieval nuns.

Thank you for your timely and astute contribution anbuend.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 11:47 pm

anbuend wrote:
Trolling is a choice. It's not the same as being literal or hotheaded, or half the other things you list. Trolls deliberately try to start flamewars. Inadvertently getting involved in them, or inadvertently starting them, is not trolling. I am starting to get the impression that some people use the word "troll" as a shorthand for "I don't like this person". :?

The hothead, literalist, and sad case are not themselves trolls. They provide a reaction that can goad a troll to step things up to an even higher level. The troll, properly, is none of these things.

Anyway I wrote the OP over a year ago. I'm surprised it's been revived.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 11:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Exile wrote:
Google "flame warriors" and go to the site if you really want to see a comprehensive typology of such folks.

Very entertaining. Very funny.

I counted 93* different Flame Warriors, the common Troll being only one of them.

(*Too tired for an accurate count. Would someone else please verify? Thank you.)

know of that and yes it is funny. Aren't namefag forums fun? The anonymous hivemind will win. EVENTUALLY

anbuend wrote:

I've heard people use the term 'troll' for people simply goatseing people or something like that. So Troll has a far-reaching definition.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 12:10 am

I did not even see the OP date NeantHumain.

That must be a bit surprising to find a thread you made over a year ago back on page one all of a sudden. 8O

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 12:18 am

The Titanic has risen!! !

8O

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:31 am

There are two subcategories of trolls though.

First there are the s**t stirrers who are addicted to being the center of conflict. These people like to argue and criticize because they find it exciting. They sometimes end up hurting people even though that isn’t their primary intent. They often refuse to back down or apologize when they step over the line and instead escalate arguments until moderators take action.

Then there are the trolls who are not at all serious about arguing or criticizing opinions. They are the true bullies who get their kicks from insulting others, i.e. “for the luls”. Anonymity also makes non-bullies in person act like bullies online. They think what they are doing isn't serious or harmful. They’re usually immature as well.

A lot of aspies seem to fit into the first category but not the second.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 2:39 am

This is a little ot, but can someone clue me in as to what "lulz" means?

thanx in advance.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 3:17 am

Exile wrote:
This is a little ot, but can someone clue me in as to what "lulz" means?

thanx in advance.

"For the lulz" means "for the laughs". "Lulz" is a variation on the acronym "lol", which stands for "laugh/ing out loud".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 3:34 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
"Lulz"

Spawned on 4chan, I think, which tells you everything you need to know about the word... :roll:

The year is still young.

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2008, 3:43 am

Occasionally I used to troll trolls - although in the end it was always fun to bait the flamers with them. xP

But I do dislike long term conflict so eventually everything would disintegrate into a strange conversation about everything etc. But such was the culture of the forums I used to frequent- you know the type, the ones which get popular over a sudden period of time which causes some of the older users to become somewhat bitter and hostile.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 4:54 am

The poll option should have read:

"We have met the Troll, and he is AS."

The year is still young.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:36 am

marshall wrote:
There are two subcategories of trolls though.

First there are the sh** stirrers who are addicted to being the center of conflict. These people like to argue and criticize because they find it exciting. They sometimes end up hurting people even though that isn’t their primary intent. They often refuse to back down or apologize when they step over the line and instead escalate arguments until moderators take action.

Then there are the trolls who are not at all serious about arguing or criticizing opinions. They are the true bullies who get their kicks from insulting others, i.e. “for the luls”. Anonymity also makes non-bullies in person act like bullies online. They think what they are doing isn't serious or harmful. They’re usually immature as well.

A lot of aspies seem to fit into the first category but not the second.

What about The Accidental Troll? The person who just stumbles into troll behavior from time to time due to not having much interest in being nice, getting fixated on the technical points of why they were right, trying to persuade with facts and reason while unaware of the emotional tension, and in general being annoying when they are just being Asperger?

I have noticed that people who have been online on message boards a long time seem to have a sensitivity to the cultural behavior of being online that people who have not been online a long time do not, Aspie or not. The message board denizens seem to take it personally that newcomers aren't up all night studying internet lingo and memorizing behavioral rites and rituals. Then there are those who disagree among themselves what "trolls" even are. Yet some message board denizens feel entitled to enforce his view on others.

The whole troll thing seems to be a flash point with some people and a ground for bickering about semantics for others.

It all seems pretty dysfunctional to newcomers.

If the person accused of being a troll is hijacking the board for topics, questions and discussions that benefit no one and can't even benefit themselves in any therapeutic, information or support fashion, like just4u76's off-topic threads were, and if they deteriorate into posting threads attacking other members and disparaging the traits of the group (e.g. just4u76's comments about Asperger people) and posting discriminatory subjects (like should we view girls as sex objects) that are inflammatory and unrelated to the board's subject matter, they are not only not constructive but disruptors and hijackers who are acting out intentionally.

Whether you want to call that a "troll" or something else, that person (their threads) should be shut down or disciplined.

For longtime message board denizens to engage people who are trying to get the person or threads shut down in their pathological problems re: the semantics of what a "troll" is or how to talk to them, is pathetically dysfunctional. Those message-board-culture Jerry Springers need to get a life, especially if they are just cruising by and jump in to start mixing it up with the troll spotters to revive some unresolved troll accusation trauma they apparently never recovered from. This is a support site, not a keeper-of-internet culture site.

Liam142
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2008, 8:19 am

Am I a troll, lol? I have no idea, this is the first forum I ever joined. I just express my opinions & beliefs through my blog. That's what blogs are for right? Occasionally I might actually post something, but never with the intention of causing a firestorm or hurting anyone's feelings...

Last edited by Liam142 on 04 Dec 2008, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.