Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Perdido
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2015, 1:15 pm

I was initially diagnosed with dyspraxia before my condition was re-appraised and I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. The psychologist who tested me for dyspraxia was clear that she felt I had strong Autistic traits and she pointed out the overlap between many of the conditions on the 'Neurodiversity spectrum', as she put it. The more I learn about dyspraxia, the more I'm convinced that in the main it is a symptom of Aspergers. Most Autistic/Aspergers people have marked problems with co-ordination and motor function. Most dyspraxics have marked problems with social communication. Both dyspraxics and Aspergers/Autistic individuals have marked problems with 'executive function' (short-term memory, reacting to change, planning, organising etc) and with sensory issues. I'm also mildy dyslexic, which suggests a connection at the other end of 'the spectrum' and dyspraxia and dyslexia certainly overlap massively. So, I wonder if all the 'neurodiversity' conditions are basically variants of the same condition even if certain specific symptoms might vary across the spectrum. I'd be really interested to know what other people's experience is here.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 1:42 pm

I always thought dyspraxia was a component of Asperger's and I notice its very own symptoms have their own names (eg. SPD, dyspraxia) but the reason why it's Asperger's is because you have so many of them so instead of having all these labels they make it Asperger's if you have enough. That was how it was explained to me when I was in my teens.

For a while I even thought OCD was an autistic symptom but it was only routines and rituals itself with the need to do things but people with it lack all the other autistic traits. I am sure OCD has been given as a diagnoses to some people who only had that autistic symptom but none of the other symptoms or not enough to have it but yet had some other symptoms of autism but not enough. I was told OCD was part of Asperger's and I was also diagnosed with that. Sure I loved having a clean house but I liked having a clean house, it relaxed me but isn't that a symptom of autism? We tend to like our routines and rituals while people with true OCD do not. Wouldn't it cause us distress if our routine was changed or disrupted? But this is the information I was given about it in my teens. Same as for when I would have my obsessions or interests we like to call it and that was also called OCD.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:41 pm

I think dyspraxia is definitely a co-morbid to autism. I`ve always had horrible trouble with any sport involving a ball. You name the sport - if it has a ball I`m inept at it no matter how much I practice.