Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm

Has anyone has speech therapy, especially as an adult?

I had an eval today, and the SLP recommended therapy 2x/week. She also wants to set me up for an OT eval for sensory integration therapy.

I will work with a different SLP, and the one who did the eval said that she and I will have to discuss with the new one what to tackle when; things that came up included auditory processing, expressive/speech, social language, reducing immediate echolalia (I will repeat the last few words of whatever is said to me as a way to process...), and I forget what else.

Just wondering what to expect from either speech or OT??

pollyfinite
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2011, 2:01 pm

I have had OT as an adult with sensory issues. Hearing and vision specifically. If your OT is anything like mine, you can expect tools to dim sensory issues such as ear plugs and glasses, as well as over stimulation, like extra bright lights and annoying noises.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

Never needed it.

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

13 Jul 2011, 3:12 pm

It depends on where you go to school. When I had it, in school, OT consisted of things like finding objects in Silly Putty, like pennies, and doing puzzles, to help me with my coordination. I even learned how to do knots! I had to do Speech Therapy because I had trouble pronouncing my S's. I can't remember exactly what we used to do, though. It's been so long since I've had it. I think they gave me words to read or something, I'm not sure. It also depends on what type of problems you have. I remember the eye and ear tests, but everyone had to do those when I was in school.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 4:06 pm

I already wear blue-tinted glasses to help with the lights and carry earplugs at all times. This is for sensory integration therapy, they'll be doing.

I don't go to school; I'm 23. It's private OT/ST.

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

13 Jul 2011, 9:24 pm

I didn't have to wear special glasses and wear earplugs to do testing. I was talking about the standard eye and ear tests they make you do in school, just to see how good your sight and hearing is. The sight tests were like the ones you get at the eye doctor's office, and with the hearing tests, they made you wear these giant headphones and they had a machine with sounds and they made you push a button to let them know that you heard the sounds. Like I said, everyone had to do this. Of course, each school is different. Around fifth grade, when I started wearing glasses (I'm nearsighted), I had to wear my glasses to do the eye tests.

aautismgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2011, 9:37 pm

I haven't had speech therapy yet. But i want to try it sometime.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

I got speech therapy when I was in early primary school because I had problems with some consonant sounds (s, r, w, l)... probably because of the fact that I started speaking at a very early age.
Also, I am currently doing OT for sensory problems. I'm about 4 weeks in.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

I had to go to speech therapy when I was in elementary school. The therapist was a touchy feely hippie. My teachers had to keep telling her to stop touching me because I would be angry and hard to deal with when I got back to class.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2011, 12:30 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I had an eval today, and the SLP recommended therapy 2x/week. She also wants to set me up for an OT eval for sensory integration therapy.

I've no idea what you are saying?
SLP? eval? OT?
It is hard enough to communicate as it is , without jargon and random abbreviations. Yes I know I can Google them, but why make it harder for people to try and understand what you are asking when you can just either write the word out, or explain it once and then use the abbreviations

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

Tadpole, seriously, just ask nicely and I'll happily type them out. Ever consider that maybe typing/language is really difficult for me sometimes and that I don't have a lot of control over what comes out? I did the best I could. They are very, very common abbreviations in the autism world and it would make sense that people with autism would know what they meant. If you don't know, ask me to explain them or don't respond to my post, but no need to be accusatory.

OT = occupational therapy

SLP = speech/language pathologist

eval = evaluation

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

15 Jul 2011, 1:53 am

SuperTrouper wrote:
Tadpole, seriously, just ask nicely and I'll happily type them out. Ever consider that maybe typing/language is really difficult for me sometimes and that I don't have a lot of control over what comes out? I did the best I could. They are very, very common abbreviations in the autism world and it would make sense that people with autism would know what they meant. If you don't know, ask me to explain them or don't respond to my post, but no need to be accusatory.
OT = occupational therapy
SLP = speech/language pathologist
eval = evaluation

I think you are reading too much in to my question, simple questions need simple answers, I was not rude or defamatory, I explained I didn’t understand, I explained what I didn’t understand and offered a reasonable solution. Have you ever considered that the use of slang and Jargon makes what you are trying to express even harder to understand for people who are not you?
As for your allusion to them being common abbreviations in the autism world, in what way is that relevant, I had expressed a lack of understanding, meaning that clearly they cannot be that common in my world or I would know what they mean.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

Tadpole wrote:
SuperTrouper wrote:

SLP? eval? OT?
It is hard enough to communicate as it is , without jargon and random abbreviations. Yes I know I can Google them, but why make it harder for people to try and understand what you are asking when you can just either write the word out, or explain it once and then use the abbreviations

Uh... These are pretty common abbreviations in the autistic/special needs world and are neither slang nor jargon and centainly not "random". God Forbid we all have to type out everything all the time the first time for every single reader on the internet. Google is your friend as you so state. Feel free to use it or just ask nicely without all the whining at the end of the question. Super T works hard enough to Language and she does a great job of it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

It kind of surprises me that she is wanting to reduce echolalia if it helps you process things. Maybe she means turning it into subvocalization or something, so it doesn't distract your conversation partner? Hmm... Well, make sure you explain that it does help you listen better to repeat things over, so that she doesn't think it is just a reflex that interferes with communication.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

She said it's actually a good thing, just that I can learn to do it very quietly or silently so that I don't throw people off. So, yes, you're right, Callista.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2011, 2:46 am

kfisherx wrote:
Tadpole wrote:
SuperTrouper wrote:

SLP? eval? OT?

Uh... These are pretty common abbreviations in the autistic/special needs world and are neither slang nor jargon and centainly not "random". God Forbid we all have to type out everything all the time the first time for every single reader on the internet. Google is your friend as you so state. Feel free to use it or just ask nicely without all the whining at the end of the question. Super T works hard enough to Language and she does a great job of it.
Dear 'whiteknight'. I was neither whining nor talking to you.
Oh and how in heavens name can you work hard "to language"