Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 9:44 pm

Ok I'm Aluapay on youtube and I asked for opinions of those who have autism what their opinion was of autsim speaks. Here's what I posted and here's the response.

ALUAPAY- I really would like to know what the opinion of those who have Autism think of Autim speaks. So far none of the people who I know in the Autism community supports it. Will someone...not a parent or loved one, but someone with autism please respond to my question, which is, "What is oyur opinion of Autism Speaks and why. Thanks

WOODNIC-I see many different views about Autism Speaks.Without Autism Speaks I dont think the people in the USA would of ever heard of Autism.I have a 14 yr old son with Autism and before Autism Speaks started it was hard to get schools to reconize Autism.Now schools have specialized classes and trained teachers.Autism Speaks has done more for you then you will ever realize.

WOODNIC-What is Autism?Autism is a developmental disability typically affecting the processing, integrating, and organizing of information that significantly impacts communication, social interaction, functional skills, and educational performance.Now do really think a person with Autism would be able to really give you a answer to your question?

BUMSDEK-true. if u think we are ret*d.

. <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2__8V55yqDw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2__8V55yqDw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 9:46 pm

Ok this is from twosonsproductions. I thought I got the site up. If you go to youtube and look up autism speaks. You'll find it. Remember I'm aluapay.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 10:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__8V55yqDw

this might make it easier to find.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2007, 10:12 pm

WOODNIC is obviously unaware that there are low functioning and high functioning autistics, I don't know how common low functioning autism is compaired to high functioning but I know we aren't all like rainman or the kids you see on documentaries... especially us aspies. Anyway, I do know there are autistic people who are capable of of expressing an opinion, and answering your question. As far as Autism speaks, I think awareness is good but stressing a cure not so much, I think the focus should be on the cause rather than the cure. There is interesting research about they way babies are given so many vacinations at such a young age and possible liks between that and risk of developing autism. Personally, whether they prove the link or not, I don't see how it can be good for a child to get so many viruses (live or not) injected into their system at one time, just becuase it's convienient for the adults not to have to make more trips... gas money or child's welfare? hmmm... tough one.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 10:27 pm

That is STUPID I heard of autism LONG before autism speaks! My Step Mother apparently decided on some autistic issues before Autism Speaks started. They have been in "business" for only TWO(2) years!! !! !! !! !

Apparently, *I* am autistic. It apparently HAS affected communication, social interaction, functional skills, and educational performance. I say that because I see my weaknesses spelled out in the list of symptoms.

BUT, and here is the rub!! !! !!, I would be willing to bet that my communication and educational performance are generally above average. And my functional skills certainly are. Who cares if I can't catch a ball. I can throw one, run, tell you what a device does by reading its schematics, tell you what a mechanical, electronic, or computer problem probably is, likely fix it or say how to, etc...

My employers have always known I was a bit odd. I keep to myself, seem to know everything about computers/electronics, and am their goto guy. Hey, I make a good salary for it.

Frankly, I never even considered that I had any syndrome, etc... until I heard about the AS symptoms.
I even rediscovered disabilities that I have always had but just avoided. Some I thought EVERYONE had.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2007, 10:31 pm

As far as I'm concerned we are just wired differently. We may lack skills in some areas but exceed in others... I think we just lack skills where normal people have them and exceed where normal people can't.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

Rhyanna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Dec 2007, 10:34 pm

I'd love to tell her to go to hell, but she probably wouldn't find me capable.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 10:39 pm

Are you all going to go over there and adress her? She's obviously very ignorant.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 10:42 pm

Autism and aspergers are different though

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2007, 10:56 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Autism and aspergers are different though

Agree. Aspergers may be on the autistic spectrum but it isn't the same as autism, that's where I think it would be nice to know out of all the people who are autistic how many are low functioning, low functioning autism is what everyone "out there" thinks of when they think of autism where as us aspies think of ourselves or higher fuctioning autistics. My cousin has autism and something else related to that too and even though JD is different and has issues that I don't and struggles with things I don't, he is still capable of having an oppinion and voicing it. Okay, I have to be up tomorrow at a halfway decent time so I can study for finals 8O :( and though I am the mood to lecture about something for ages I won't.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2007, 12:07 am

It also needs to be known that many non-verbal Autistics, those that have a real inability to engage people in conversation, are not incapable of intelligent thought! There are those Autistics who have hardly ever spoken a word to anyone in their lives, but who can type some very advanced, expressive, communicative language via a computer.

Some of the people on Wrong Planet may be non-verbal Autistic, and you just wouldn't be able to tell.

There are people who have been told by doctors that their children are basically vegetables and that they should just send them off to a life in an institution, or in some cases, worse! There are those who have been told by doctors and communities that they are members of, that people who say that Autism is anything other than brain death are feeding them pipe dreams and giving them false hope.

You can't guess at what a person is capable of thinking, by what they are not capable of saying.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:32 am

Paula wrote:
Are you all going to go over there and adress her? She's obviously very ignorant.

You must think we have a great deal of time on our hands to be able to correct every NT about their misunderstandings of Autism and Aspergers. :lol:

I think Autism Speaks has great intentions, and has done far more good than harm. However, most people on the high end of Autism don't agree that we need to be cured, just understood.

I do believe, that Mothers, parents, and caregivers want their children to be happy, healthy, independent, and successful, just like every other parent in the world. They believe that Autism is preventing that. So naturally, they want to cure it, or eliminate it.

I believe the smart approach is to realize that Austim is what it is, and that it has benifiets to society, and God, nature, evolution, whatever you want to call it, intended for some humans to be Autistic so they would discover E=MC2, the law of gravity, the light bulb, telephone, and affortable automobile, etc. If everyone was an NT society would not have made the advances it has in such a short period of time.

Best,

Idaho Aspie

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:13 am

I'm saying nothing.

I'm doing nothing.

The last thing I want is a flame war...........a bad one.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:25 am

Rhyanna wrote:
I'd love to tell her to go to hell, but she probably wouldn't find me capable.

Good one! :lol: