MYTH BUSTED: Adults DO Grow New Brain Cells

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:32 am

John - it's written by another - see the link.

It should be ok with the link intact.

johnpipe108 wrote:
It's good to hear that science is making these discoveries, it's something I've been wondering about from an Eastern philosophical viewpoint. Like what psychedelic said, I've been thinking about the possible abilities of our minds to change our brains.

jjstar, may I quote your original post to an e-list I belong to, shivakalpa@yahoogroups? We are a group of spiritually oriented folk, many of whom have some "differences", and naturally some are the parents of autistic children. I'm an adult aspie myself, born the same year Asperger released his report.

Thanks

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:38 am

Becca - new cells must grow in order for the brain to re-wire itself, creating new connections. Those new connections are made up of millions upon millions of NEW cells recreated every living second of our life. The brain is living and recreating itself every moment, with every thought, word and action. Consciously and unconconsciously.

Good news.

becca423b wrote:
Wait, so actually the title of this post is inaccurate: adults do NOT grow new brain cells. The cells they already have are plastic and can grow new connections. Except not axons....those cannot be regrown.