Is PDD similar to Asperger's? PDD-NOS, is it much different?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2007, 8:36 pm

I was just told that PDD might be more similar to NLD than to Asperger's... Some might draw a fine line of distinction between them all.. I'm just not really familiar with what PDD is at all...

Is PDD the same thing as PDD-NOS? (not sure what NOS is....)

Thanks.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 8:38 pm

pdd is just an umbrella term for most of the Autistic Spectrum Disorders (in fact the term itself has mostly been deprecated in favor of ASD... only pdd-nos still uses the old term)

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 8:43 pm

NOS stands for "not otherwise specified." It is a catchall term for diagnosing and coding diagnoses (like ICD-9 codes for billing, or-DSM-IV codes for mental health); a lot of different things can be described as NOS.
This instance- pervasive developmental disorder, NOS- describes someone with a lot of traits of ASD's, but not specifically any particular one of them.
I hope that what I wrote above makes some sense.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 8:45 pm

Autism is a pervasive developmental disorder, pdd-nos means not other specified. Pdd-nos can either mean borderline autistic or more autistic then aspergers. Its basically another way of saying you have autism traits so yea were throw you an pdd-nos label. A lot of parents would say i have a pdd kid, or their asd even if that means pdd-nos.