Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 1:49 pm

It's strange how clowns send so many folks running for the exits. Actually, maybe not. Anyone who's read "It" by Stephen King or stumbled across a picture of serial killer John Wayne Gacy in floppy shoes is understandably a bit on-edge at the circus (or the rodeo, for that matter). The official term for this irrational aversion to red-nosed entertainers is coulrophobia. While many are merely creeped out by clowns, the fear runs much deeper for others, affecting their daily lives.

Several theories attempt to explain the origins of the phobia, though none seem definitive. One of the more interesting comes from Kathryn Cillick. She believes most people are afraid of clowns because it's impossible to gauge a clown's true emotions. Thanks to painted-on smiles, people can't distinguish if the clown is as happy as he seems or if he's actually about to bite somebody's face off.

Several celebrities are decidedly anti-clown. Rapper P. Diddy has a "no clown" clause in his concert contracts. Johnny Depp had nightmares of clowns as a kid. And, of course there's Bart Simpson, whose utterance "Can't sleep, clown will eat me" speaks volumes about his feelings on the subject.

I read this and I wonder why not being able to gage someones true emotions would cause fear. Is that why NT's don't like Aspies?
I was afraid of clowns as a child, but that was because they where so loud and in you're face.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 2:01 pm

thyme wrote:
Several theories attempt to explain the origins of the phobia, though none seem definitive. One of the more interesting comes from Kathryn Cillick. She believes most people are afraid of clowns because it's impossible to gauge a clown's true emotions. Thanks to painted-on smiles, people can't distinguish if the clown is as happy as he seems or if he's actually about to bite somebody's face off.

My explanation is more mundane and in my opinion it has its source in that simple fact that their faces' features are exagerated thanks to their make-up. It causes anxiety in people because then "something is wrong" while they like when everything looks as it should, isn't deformed, twisted or whatever.

Drollchick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2007, 2:17 pm

As I sit and think about clowns, it is safe to say I'm not a fan of them either. Cartoon clowns, clown toys, clown drawings - those don't bother me so much. And if I were to go to a circus and watch them from afar, that is okay, too. BUT, being in close contact or engagement with one - that is a problem for me.

No fear, really, but there is too much for me to process - the colors, shapes, sound of their voice, hidden facial features/expressions. I just can't trust them.

It's a bit of a stretch, but I do think that thought process does come in to play between Aspies and NTs...I don't accept the Aspies being the clown in the relationship, though. I think they are clowns to each other, each one confusing the other with differences in expression. Perhaps the initial uncertainty and distrust will pass, or each will walk away saying "can't sleep, NT/Aspie will eat me".

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 2:33 pm

Well...there are different kinds of clowns....I really like/identify with certain kinds of clownish characters....one of my favorite movies of all times is La Strada...Gelsomina...the heroine is more-or-less sold to Zampano the strong man...and she works as a clown for him...she is a natural...childlike....clown...and she does not mask her emotions...

um..another character I am particularly fond of is Harpo Marx...and he is like the clown of the Marx Brothers...granted he does not wear the makeup but he takes on that role....interracting with "normal" society in completely absurdist ways.....

I have dressed up as a clown...(as a street busker in New Orleans..and frequently in my band...and for other reasons)....but I am a non-threatening clown...I do not wear full face makeup....I do wear some face paint and a wig and a tutu...but I have never totally disguised myself or concealed my emotions by pretending to be something I wasn't...I was exactly who i am, but in a funny...non-scary costume...at least I am not trying to be scary

There are scary clowns...don't get me wrong....but not all clowns are scary...poopy lungstuffing is sort of my clown name...alas.....

at least i don't think i am scary

i also have a small collection of sock clowns and clown art...

Last edited by poopylungstuffing on 16 Dec 2007, 2:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Drollchick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2007, 2:42 pm

Obviously scary clowns are OK for me - like, I'm a big fan of that stupid B-movie "Killer Clowns from Outer Space". I don't have to decipher their character - clearly evil, I can deal with that.

It is the unknown/hidden character of "normal" clowns that gets me...

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 4:14 pm

I've never been afraid of clowns. I've never been a big fan of them either, but that's because I think the idea is stupid: Painted people make fools of themselves. I can watch unpainted people make fools of themselves any time, and they're a lot funnier.

Drollchick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2007, 4:43 pm

Well said, WurdBendur!

That definitely is the bigger picture I agree with. It IS stupid...

People that are unknowingly fools are much more entertaining - I don't even mind if I'm on the giving end of that foolishness. Just so long as no one's putting on a desperate show.

"A day without laughter is a day wasted"

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 7:15 pm

I love clowns. I don't find them frightening at all. Then again, I don't think I've actually seen a certified clown in real life before.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 8:38 pm

Haha this is funny, i was a circus psycho clown at fright fest for the six flags great adventure, and omgosh did i have ppl crying saying please dont hurt me, throwing toys at me and running, kicking, punching me to get away from me, it was crazy. Mind u, i was only like 5 foot, 80lbs, and my knife was plastic lol. I was also in a 3d fun house so, but wow ppl were terrified of me. I got so many compliments on how good i was at scaring ppl loool. Heres a fuzzy pic of me when i was working there and a full body shot pic of me holding a bloody stick lol, i was sooo cute haha...Image

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 4:32 am

Oh man, I think that's a job I would love. There's nothing better than scaring children. :twisted:

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 6:22 am

I was afraid of clowns until I was about 5 years old.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 10:57 am

Poopylungstuffings clown is cute and Age1600 is very scary! :clown:
I remember when I went to the circus as a child and I was watching the clowns performing. But, then one of the clowns ran up into the audience and right up to me and I was like Ahhhhhhhhhhh!! !! !

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 11:26 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
There are scary clowns...don't get me wrong....but not all clowns are scary...poopy lungstuffing is sort of my clown name...alas.....

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!! !! *hides* :help:

i keep misreading this thread as coulterophobia... dont know what that is... fear of clown columnists? :lol: