Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 2:40 am

Just want to meet other people with serious tactile problems with paper, especially if you can tell me healthy ways to cope.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 4:07 am

Sorry, but I can't offer any advice. My sister is not autistic but she has troubles touching rough paper. It gives her shivers. As far as I know, she won't even read the newspaper.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 9:20 am

I have tactile issues with some paper - especially newspaper and magazine paper. I find that using gloves can help. Admittedly, this makes it harder to turn the pages, but at least I can bring myself to touch them when I'm wearing gloves!

If I don't have gloves to hand, I use a tissue or a bit of fabric over my hand so that my skin does not come into direct contact with the paper.

If wrapping paper is an issue, you can get quite nice foil wrapping paper which may be more easily tollerable.

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2007, 9:44 pm

Sorry, I can't help you. I really like the way paper feels. :oops:

You could try using thin cotton gloves (the kind for people with skin problems). It's easier to turn pages and they aren't especially warm. You could also try the rubber finger tips tips mail sorters use (like these).

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman