Yes. 53%  53%  [ 47 ]
Some days I feel gifted. 33%  33%  [ 29 ]
No. 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 88

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2007, 5:14 pm

"One way to identify gifted individuals is their style of thinking. They usually employ divergent thinking. Their style is original and they tend to come up with crazy ideas, which other people find strange. But sometimes it is these crazy ideas that go on to become the most recognized ones of our time."

If 75 per cent of the following 37 characteristics fit you, you are probably a gifted adult:
http://www.fortunewatch.com/intelligenc ... ed-person/

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2007, 5:16 pm

I already know I'm gifted; I was way beyond the other kids in school, especially in my math ability. Also, I know I'm musically gifted.

It's not something I feel any "pride" about; it's just a fact--kind of like "I have blond hair." I wish it were a blessing, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it; it has resulted in me being misunderstood and left out most of my life.

Yes, I am gifted, and... so what. At the moment, that's how I feel about it.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2007, 5:27 pm

I think most people think they fit into 75 percent of those 37 characteristics.

That said, I was a gifted kid. I don't think I'm a gifted adult.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 5:48 pm

I tested as gifted when I was 5, far from it ever since then, and only clicked 54% of those things (some of which are almost inevitable for an autistic person anyway), so I clicked the middle one.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 6:23 pm

I think I have a gift in sports, but due to all the anxiety and paranoia I get, it holds me back. :(

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 6:29 pm

By definition, I am gifted. By tests, I am cognitively gifted w/ IQ at 160+

I am science/math oriented and I love art too - especially 'cutting & pasting.' I write well.

But....so what? This does not make my life easy by any means. I have a hard time. Sometimes. And, like benjimanbreeg said, I too lack the confidence otherwise and I'm really high-strung.

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2007, 6:43 pm

Yes. Both in a left and right brained way. Although I sometimes have trouble distinguishing between the physical 'Right' and 'Left' in a spatial sense! :D

Last edited by autodidact on 23 Dec 2007, 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 6:43 pm

Nope, not according to that test. Though in my defense the questions are a little ambiguous and loaded. If anything I would say as a self-test it's a little "how's ya mother?" That said I still don't think I'd qualify as gifted on that test even if I gave myself the benefit of the doubt. I do like the fact the it focuses on the attributes one can posess that can make ANYONE excel to a high level. Even if someone scored a 90 on an IQ test and pursued those 37 characteristics I think they would achieve to a gifted level. Good find MsBehaviour.

Also, Puzzles drive me insane! Stupid middle pieces... if it was all edge, I think I could handle puzzles more. :D

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2007, 6:44 pm

I have an IQ of at least 140 (was tested), but Im also learning disabled.

Im athletically gifted. I don't mean by being just plain stronger, I mean a combination of coordination, strength, speed, and spatial awarness. Being able to use your brain to be better at sports. Im not the strongest because I'm a small person but ...I can scale a standard rock wall in less than 3-5 minutes.I can "see" where everybody is on the soccer field during the game (plus I'm just fantastic at soccer). I got to the sate finals for long jump (didnt go cause we went on vacation) I have the fastest reflexes in the entire student body (measured at 100ms average for the ruler drop test)...ect...ect I can do a bunch of other weird stuff that most peoplke could never dream of doing.

But I have very difficult time with walking in a straight line, I cannot walk down the stairs without holding onto the rail, my handwriting is ATROCIOUS! I have a hard time throwing stuff, the physical act of speaking is very hard for me.

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2007, 6:49 pm

SoccerFreak wrote:
I cannot walk down the stairs without holding onto the rail, my handwriting is ATROCIOUS! I have a hard time throwing stuff..

:D Many gifted people have motor skills trouble. Me too!. Oh, and I'm really crap at sports!

Last edited by autodidact on 23 Dec 2007, 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2007, 6:59 pm

autodidact wrote:
SoccerFreak wrote:
I cannot walk down the stairs without holding onto the rail, my handwriting is ATROCIOUS! I have a hard time throwing stuff..

:D Many gifted people have motor skills trouble. Me too!

I just think it's weird for an athletically gifted person to have these problems, ah well, at least i can walk.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 7:09 pm

I have most of the stuff on the list.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 7:25 pm

nope, about 40% or so...we are Pakled. We are not smart...;)

Gifted? I'm not sure, haven't looked under the tree yet..;)

marvolutional
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2007, 8:00 pm

I look forward to seeing all you guys win the noble prize someday! I expected more from people with AS/autism, in the sense that you all seem to be talking about i can do this i can do that! The question i ask is why? For people who are detacted socially and have less social retrictions, you all are so desperate to be accepted, look at me look at me! I've lived my whole life different than all those around me, my problems severe, but ive worked hard. and if you can do something better than those around you, then great, find a person who is having difficulty and help them, tell them they too can do what i do. also i dont like the word giftness, it implies your particular skill has be given by someone, to you (is it god?!)... as i dont beleive in god i have no worries or retrictions there! My point is this, if you become diluted, wraped up in you own talents, you'll never ever see whats straight in front of you! the true fundamental idea that we are all equal, that you can develop your own skills and the person on the street, give them the beleive that there is not a hierarchy of individuals with special gifts/talents and watch 2days extraordinary become 2morrows orginary! maybe thats what those who consider themselfs to be extraordinary are afraid of, that they will no longer be special! I too have AS in case i didnt say.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 8:11 pm

SoccerFreak wrote:
I just think it's weird for an athletically gifted person to have these problems, ah well, at least i can walk.

I know a very good gymnast who falls over all the time except during routines. And then during routines she's super-coordinated.

And I've always had a disconnect (gotten larger as I've gotten older) between voluntary and automatic and/or triggered movement. Which appears to currently mean, if the particular sport in question entails aiming at small, light objects that are flying at me and then whacking them back at the other person (i.e. ping-pong, badminton) then I'm really good, but I suck at other sports, and my motor skills are so messed up the rest of the time that I frequently get stuck doing things like crossing rooms.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 8:15 pm

marvolutional wrote:
I look forward to seeing all you guys win the noble prize someday! I expected more from people with AS/autism, in the sense that you all seem to be talking about i can do this i can do that! The question i ask is why? For people who are detacted socially and have less social retrictions, you all are so desperate to be accepted, look at me look at me! I've lived my whole life different than all those around me, my problems severe, but ive worked hard. and if you can do something better than those around you, then great, find a person who is having difficulty and help them, tell them they too can do what i do. also i dont like the word giftness, it implies your particular skill has be given by someone, to you (is it god?!)... as i dont beleive in god i have no worries or retrictions there! My point is this, if you become diluted, wraped up in you own talents, you'll never ever see whats straight in front of you! the true fundamental idea that we are all equal, that you can develop your own skills and the person on the street, give them the beleive that there is not a hierarchy of individuals with special gifts/talents and watch 2days extraordinary become 2morrows orginary! maybe thats what those who consider themselfs to be extraordinary are afraid of, that they will no longer be special! I too have AS in case i didnt say.

Well, aren't we making a multitude of assumptions here? Shall I remind you: Occam's Razor, fellow Aspie.

FYI (not that it matters), I am productive, highly motivated, and accomplished; with polish. I do not need or appreciate an assessment without data! Yes, I too agree; the word 'gifted' isn't really appropriate, but that's not the question.

I am unsure if you meant to be sarcastic. Your post is not written with clarity so I cannot know your intent. What are you trying to say? If you have a message write succinctly.

Not one of us proports to 'be special.' So, your statement is just supposition without basis. Presumption is illogical to me - Lab Pet does not like.

Oh, I am not 'deluded,' (you spelled the word wrong, btw - in a most amusing way). I am scientist. I am the Lab Pet. And I'm not afraid.
What are you, Aspie?

Last edited by LabPet on 23 Dec 2007, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.