do you ever feel like your Dx is wrong?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beauteousday
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2007, 10:30 pm

i know that i'm different, I always have. I was diagnosed officially earlier this year. I fit almost all of the traits perfectly but every once in awhile i have a really, really good day where i don't mess up and tend to fit in with the crowd really well. The problem is, when i have those days my mind goes to the fact that maybe I don't have aspergers and I just am not working hard enough to try to be like other people and figure out how to live the way that others do. And then I feel, really, really bad.

Does anyone else think this way sometimes?

Leo21k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2007, 10:46 pm

I have days like that too but it's like those days I'm just better at pretending to be that sociable normal guy who's fits in well that im always trying to be. I can't keep it up though and by the next day I'm usually exhausted and wanting to be alone.

People come looking for me expecting me to be that same person I was the day before but I just dont have what ever it was that was in me that day.

I can make friends on those good days but can't keep them because I eventually go back to being an introvert and avoid them heh.

Last edited by Leo21k on 25 Dec 2007, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kwiksnax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Dec 2007, 11:29 pm

Leo21k wrote:
I have days like that too but it's like those days I'm just better at pretending to be that sociable normal guy who's fits in well that im always trying to be. I can't keep it up though and by the next day I'm usually exhausted and wanting to be alone.

People come looking for me expecting me to be that same person I was the day before but I just dont have what ever it was that was in the me that day.

I can make friends on those good days but can't keep them because I eventually go back to being an introvert and avoid them heh.

I don't really have anything constructive to add, but what you wrote is a carbon-copy description of me on my good days with the inevitable slump afterward. The big problem being that people think you're normal and friendly when you're having a good day, and so then take it as a personal insult when you just can't face being around them when the 'good-day rush' has worn off. I've killed off many friendships before they'd even had a chance to get started :(

Thanks for sharing that, makes me feel a lot better to know I'm not the only one that feels that way.

someguy

25 Dec 2007, 11:44 pm

I'll chime in and say I'm a lot like this too. On some occasions I can even be the life of a party, in my own way, but it doesn't seem to be something I can turn on or off when I want to, it just seems to come and go as it sees fit. I think it really confuses people as to why I'm absolutely no fun one day and a blast the next and they have no idea why.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2007, 9:45 am

well... to be blunt, no, i was told by my parents at the age of 11-12 I was dx'ed with HFA when I was little, never knew anything about it and never even discused it further for over a decade after that, I saw that I was a hard worker and educated, yet working with people who did not work as hard and were not the educated, i wanted to get ahead in life so bad but found it tough cause I would or could not relate. I finally decided to really resherch what being autistic meant, i came her to WP and learned, and thought wow, so thats my problem. Seriously never even considered it just never thought about the dx ever again after that until years down the road.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 7:53 pm

I feel that my autism label is correct, but I don't agree with the schizophrenia label at all. I know all! The doctors have diagnosed me with pretty much everything in the DSM IV. I agree with all of them except the schizophrenia. Lets see why I don't agree with it. First of all, I hallucinate very rarely. Just once in a while and schizophrenics hallucinate all the time. They hear voices all day long that tell them what to do. The only time I had real bad hallucinations is when I was 13 years young and constantly attacked by people at school. It was a horrible time in my life. That was 11 years ago. So, I think it is stress induced psychosis. I don't know the length it lasted for. If less than a month the actual diagnosis is "Brief Reactive Psychosis." Next is delusions. To outside people it looks like I have at least 100 of these, and some of them are bizarre. But since no one knows for a fact that what I believe is false, it might not be a delusion. Next is disorganized speech. Does this look disorganized to you? It is true that occasionally I get disorganized speech and it comes out all confused and makes no sense, it is not all the time so it can't count toward a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Catatonic behavior? Yes, but not long enough. I freeze all the time but for short periods of time. The longest I ever froze is under an hour and people that are truly catatonic freeze for many hours at a time. Negative symptoms? The only one is lack of energy but that is caused by my pills rather than a symptom of schizophrenia. Like I said before, I know more than the doctors!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

26 Dec 2007, 8:10 pm

Sometimes I have days where I can "act normal" and yes on those days sometimes I do doubt my diagnosis. Apparently though, on my good days I am just as "off" but more outgoing [according to my mother].
I like to have my good days though, even if I am just as "off", I am more extroverted as usually I am very quiet.

Sometimes though, this can hinder my ability to maintain friendships.
For example...this year I made a real life friend with the help of my grandmother setting me up with her collegues daughter.
The first two times I met up with her, we had good fun together. She was from another country so didn't understand the social norms anyway, so was accepting of me.
On the third time we met, though, I was having quite a bad day and honestly didn't want to be around anyone. She had started to pick up on the social norms aswell so started to literally tell me the things that I were doing "wrong".

I haven't felt like I could see her ever since because of fear that I will be judged and once again rejected, so there fore the friendship has ended anyway.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Dec 2007, 9:29 pm

in one word son, "no".