Xfractor Card #351

23 Dec 2007, 2:58 pm

called holy basil? is it any good or what

when are the best times to take it?

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 3:02 pm

I have no idea about "holy" basil, but ordinary basil is among my most favorite spices, along with marjoram, oregano and rosemary. I usually buy Provencal or Italian herb mixes which contain all of these and have a mind-boggling honey-like scent. That alone is enough to lift my spirits. :)

Last edited by ixochiyo_yohuallan on 23 Dec 2007, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Dec 2007, 3:03 pm

yah. it does sound a little suspect becuase of the word holy in it doesnt it

what does omega-3 do again? is it worth taking

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Dec 2007, 3:04 pm

duh! it sais it right there on the front, ok nevermind :lol:

TheRani
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2007, 4:36 pm

Holy Basil is a variety of basil plant that is considered significant to the Hindu religion.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 5:23 pm

Holy basil is better because its been blessed by a priest. jj i wondered why they called it holy.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 6:14 pm

I grow holy basil - it has a very different smell than regular basil - more like cloves. It contains eugenol or methyl eugenol (among other things). It makes a good tea. It is supposed to be calming (but not a strong tranquilizer). Also reduces inflammation.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Dec 2007, 6:29 pm

Tulsi, Queen of Herbs, the legendary "Incomparable One" of India, is one of the holiest and most cherished of the many healing and health-giving herbs of the Orient. The sacred basil Tulsi is renowned for its religious and spiritual sanctity, as well as for its important role in the traditional systems of holistic health and herbal medicine of the East.

Current research offers substantial evidence that Tulsi protects against and reduces stress; enhances stamina and endurance; increases the body's efficient use of oxygen; boosts the immune system; reduces inflammation; protects against radiation damage; lessens aging factors; supports the heart, lungs and liver; has antibiotic, antiviral and antifungal properties; enhances the efficacy of many other therapeutic treatments; and provides a rich supply of antioxidants and other nutrients.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Dec 2007, 9:08 pm

cool. i think i have ringworm on my arm, and i broke open a capsule and put some of the holy basil on it. it smells like jagermeister

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 9:30 pm

RB, tea tree oil is good for ringworm if you want to go the holistic route. Otherwise tolnaftate cream, twice a day for a month, applied to the entire area- an inch beyond the "ring."

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 12:17 am

A little more powerful than tea tree even...check out oil of oregano...wicked stuff, I've used it for years for bug bites to prevent infection, mixed with honey for respiratory/sinus problems, and it will numb a toothache fairly well too.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 12:45 am

I use holy basil as part of my regular massive herbal mental and physical wellbeing cocktail.

I just take so much stuff, that it is imossible to recognise the specific effects....

I do think that it imparts a sense of well-being....it does not make me groggy...which is good...

I often give holy basil to the constantly stressed out Flakey...He does not seem to notice a difference.....but I turned him on to Chamomile and it helped him kick the Xanax habit he had been forming for several months...

Anyone else like Chamomile....it is probably the ADDer in us that makes it seem so great...it is a great herb for ADD.

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Dec 2007, 4:11 am

Don't know anything about Holy Basil... But I take Glucosamine Sulphate with Condriton for my arthritis (if that helps anybody).