Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 7:55 am

In other words - do you need people to give you a lot of physical space? Do you otherwise getted cramped and start freaking out because there's just not enough room for you to move about in?

I need a huge berth. I need Big Empty Spaces Around Me. Or else I freak.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 7:57 am

No, I am fine with any amount of berth.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Chronicle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2007, 8:34 am

Yeah, I have a really hard time with physical space, too.

Crowds freak me out rather thoroughly, especially if I actually have to bump into people to move from Point A to Point B. On top of this (try not to laugh at how ridiculous I am), I will actually put up my dukes, like the world's wussiest boxer, to protect my face when I have to walk through a group of people. I start to feel nauseous if I'm crammed into the corner of one of those booths at a restaurant.

I need to have a decent amount of breathing space and a reasonably clear route to the exit at all times. If not, I panic.

-C

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 9:03 am

I like more personal space than most people, not a HUGE amount but definitely more than the norm.
Animals in my personal space are great though.

someguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2007, 9:11 am

Yes I get very claustrophobic if I'm in a place where I can't move around without bumping into people. When I go to a gathering of any type I'll instantly seek out the quiet corner and set up shop there for the duration. I've gotten a lot better at dealing with crowds as an adult, as a child I had this instinct to just take off and plow through people until I reached some open space, it was sort of like a panic simmering just below the surface.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 9:19 am

Usually, yeah... I hate being crowded. Before I learned about being an Aspie I used to find myself stalking through the Mall at Christmastime, people all around me, and I'd be furious for no reason. I realized once I was up on the balls of my feet, pacing through the Mall, just WAITING for someone to make a move at me. I was ready to snap kick their head into next week.... Two exceptions, for some reason Disneyworld NEVER bothers me, no matter how crowded or tightly packed it is. Maybe there's a reason they call it the Magic Kingdom. And being a (mostly) typical male, if I'm being crowded by attractive women, especially ones wearing perfume I find enticing, I don't have a problem with that. 8)

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

27 Dec 2007, 9:44 am

Absolutely. I don't like people in my physical space. It makes me very cranky, and I feel very cramped if there are too many things or people in an area I am in, regardless of circumstance. Even people I like need to keep their distance.

busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Dec 2007, 9:57 am

Living in NYC you get used to people being on top of you, like on the subway and stuff. So it usually doesn't bother me. I do have a problem with it when people come in my cubicle at work and stand basically on top of me and breathe down my neck. That annoys me!

anisotrope
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2007, 10:30 am

do you need people to give you a lot of physical space?

YES, please. My personal space requirement seems to be much larger than even the average American's. This doesn't mean I can't make myself appear calm in a crowd or force myself not to back away when someone encroaches on my personal space. It just means I'm uncomfortable and will tire quickly in these situations.

My preference for space extends to my home. I can't stand clutter and I'd rather have open space than furniture. When living alone, I can have this, but not when living with another person. When living with another person, I prefer to have my own bed and, really, my own bedroom, if I can get away with it. The dogs can sit on me and the parrot can peer over my shoulder, no problem. But I'd like for people and my environment to allow me space, thanks.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

27 Dec 2007, 10:34 am

Hmm. You're asking aspies if they need personal space.

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 11:10 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

OH, so if I stood 1/2inch(about 12.5mm) away from you, you would be ok?

Don't worry though, I prefer about 3 feet(almost 1 meter).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 11:37 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

Not a problem.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 11:40 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

Not a problem.

Tim

One of these days, you MAY be tested!

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 12:26 pm

Not really. The pressure of concerts is AWESOME. But I find such instances in which the fact remains that I am restrained from leaving to be enough that this would be true. As in small room meetings with multiple people or strangers. Jail. Um. Elevators. (Im not taking the stairs for my health in otherwords)

Lifewise I require a HUGE berth. Anyone who attempts to force friendship or invite themselves into a place in the aspects of my life is immediately deemed ENEMY and SUSPICIOUS. Unless I would have chose them in the first place or their REALLY REALLY nice and NORMAL. For the most part I don't see why people are so people orientated.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 12:54 pm

Maybe. If I'm sitting on the couch and someone sits down so close they're touching, I have to move over enough to break contact. (Like when there are 3-4 people on the couch.) However, if I've been drinking, it won't bother me.
I don't like people to touch me in general, not even the patting on the shoulder thing they do.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 1:22 pm

Time and Space Topic:

Most of the posters, so far, seem to need some breathing room. Not only do I need space, I need time, so the distance between me and another subject had better be directly proportional to how I am existing at the moment. In other words, do not stand too close too me, as Sting would sing. I think it is the need for the solitude.

I hope this is a reasonable response.