Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 1:36 pm

busy91 wrote:
Living in NYC you get used to people being on top of you, like on the subway and stuff. So it usually doesn't bother me. I do have a problem with it when people come in my cubicle at work and stand basically on top of me and breathe down my neck. That annoys me!

<shudderrr>

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 1:38 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Hmm. You're asking aspies if they need personal space.

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

Everyone needs personal space. The question was if you need a LOT of it.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 1:45 pm

I don't need a wide berth walking through a crowd, I don't mind rubbing shoulders. Walking through/along with the moving throngs in a mall is fine by me. I don't mind standing in a crowd at a concert, as long as they're not pushing up against me, and I can move around decently.

Sitting though, I need space. I can't stand sitting close to people(Except a girlfriend), sharing an arm rest, with limited leg room. In movie theaters I always sit with an empty chair on both sides of me.

xrenegadexsadizt
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2007, 2:59 pm

Yes indeed, I do. I am not comfortable with having people too close, unless I am very familiar with them--and then, only some people. Crowds, elevators, packed movie theaters, lines at the food court...I don't like those at all. Even when I'm practicing driving, I get uncomfortable when a car is within a meter and a half or so. This has prompted the following exchange several times:

Me: "Gah, this (expletive) is tailgating me!"
Mom: "No they're not, they're far enough away."
Me: "Really? Oh."

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2007, 8:59 pm

I would feel uncomfortable but I wouldn't freak out.

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Dec 2007, 9:20 pm

I need lots of physical distance. I was even like that when I as young. But it doesn't bother me quite so much when my dog or cats are the ones doing the crowding.
I couldn't work with people very well who insist on being so close that they breath down my neck.
I had some co-workers who were like that once, I used to hide from them at break time, just to get a little space.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 11:23 pm

Amongst adult males, yes. If myself and one other person are on opposite ends of a couch and some guy sits down in the middle, I will get up. In some situations, when I know how bothersome the specific person is, I will not enter the room until they leave. I refuse to get my dinner if my stepfather is standing anywhere near the kitchen. I also can easily feel trapped (feeling a freakout, yes) if there's no clear exit from the people around me. I also hate when males touch me, unless it's a friendly pat as a "goodbye".

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 11:36 pm

I'm fine as long as I have a direct exit. But usually I need a wider berth than most anyway, just because I have a tendency to trip.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"